• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

CBS radio / Entercom in Philly

WOGL is the top rated station in Philly, so I don't think it will get blown up under the Entercom ownership.

It's not really the top station. It is, using a three book average, #5 in 25-54. Agencies don't look at 12+ or 6+ numbers, nor do most station staff members.

The recent changes illustrate the concern with aging demos.

You are confusing economy moves and "format freshening" for format changes.

Format changes are very expensive, as they generally result in a total revenue reset and a long period of losses.

I understand what would happen to a station's revenue when it changes formats. I just thought with a constant turnover of on-air staff at WOGL, the station would begin to play songs such as Donna Summer's "Last Dance" and David Bowie's "Changes" leading to a format change. However, chances are a format flip won't be happening on WOGL (or any of CBS Radio/Entercom's stations in Philadelphia) anytime soon.

I understand what would happen to a station's revenue when it changes formats. I just thought with a constant turnover of on-air staff at WOGL, the station would begin to play songs such as Donna Summer's "Last Dance" and David Bowie's "Changes" leading to a format change. However, chances are a format flip won't be happening on WOGL (or any of CBS Radio/Entercom's stations in Philadelphia) anytime soon.

There may have been some higher turnover in a shorter period, but they also had long-term stability ahead of that. Ross Britain was there a number of years before retiring, Valerie Knight even longer, and it was a good run for Cadillac Jack, etc. But in fairness, a cluster isn't constant, it's the way things sometimes happen. B/More FM have regularly rotated people in and out of the morning slot, and afternoons switched again not all that long ago in the big picture. No format change rumors, just the way things go.

WOGL is the top rated station in Philly, so I don't think it will get blown up under the Entercom ownership.

Mike - in radio these days, don't assume ANYTHING - 12 years ago, a top-rated oldies (yes, in those years they were still called oldies) station in NYC was blown up for some snarky dude named "Jack" - stay tuned...

Don't be too sure - I think all of radio is watching what happens at 'OGL - for a LOT of reasons.....

It's not really the top station. It is, using a three book average, #5 in 25-54. Agencies don't look at 12+ or 6+ numbers, nor do most station staff members.

The recent changes illustrate the concern with aging demos.

It's going to be interesting to see if '90s music will attract the mid-range of 25-54. The music of that decade was so divisive -- you had stations bragging that they weren't playing rap, other bragging that they were. Twenty-plus years later, will enough of the 30/40-somethings want to hear "OPP" and "Funky Cold Medina" along with the pure pop and rock hits of those years that weren't even being played on the same station originally? I'm thinking that's why CBS went straight to AMP with WODS and never really updated its sound, perhaps sensing that the last viable decade for oldies/classic hits radio would be the '80s -- and only the first 7 years of the '80s at that. After that ... rap and grunge wreaked havoc on CHR.

Don't be too sure - I think all of radio is watching what happens at 'OGL - for a LOT of reasons.....
everyone should keep their eyes on 1210 am and 96.5 Fm too. They are vulnerable stations also. I would be shocked if they blew up wogl and drop the current oldies/classic hits format after 30 years .

Last edited:

The real question for the last five or six years has been why WOGL has kept the older music and the ancient specialty shows for so much longer than the rest of the CBS groups classic hits stations have.

The only question is whether the recent changes were made to snap the station back to reality or to save money prior to the closing of the Entercom deal... or both.

everyone should keep their eyes on 1210 am and 96.5 Fm too. They are vulnerable stations also. I would be shocked if they blew up wogl and drop the current oldies/classic hits format after 30 years .

1210 has no other option but to stay within the same format. There is no way to make big money with a top 10 market AM other than news, talk or sports... and sports in the Philadelphia market has departed for FM anyway.

Hi David. What do you think was the reason? I think it is both, for them to move ahead with the music and to save money...but did they need to remove these DJ's. Cadillac Jack is very current with music. He was a DJ at Eagle 106 from 1991-1993 and I talk with him on facebook and he knows all about the 80s, 90s and Y2K music. The music also still leans a lot older than all of the other classic hits stations at CBS. They play like 4 or 5 90s songs a day. They are 80s focused...but still play a 60s song every other hour and play a decent amount of 70s music.

Stop pretending that anything is going to happen to 1210. We have explained to you over and over why it will not change. Keep your fantasies to yourself.

96.5 could do something different. No reason for the 1210, #2 AM station in town to change format. You can have fantasies about it, but in the real world, it has no real options that generates more revenue than it does right now, so it will keep doing what it does.

Last edited:
I wonder will KYW and WPHT merge and become a single news/talker or will they keep KYW all news on 1060 and 1210 AM talk or will they get rid of the current format on 1210 AM to something else?

Why on God's green earth would you merge 1060 & 1210??? That just makes no sense! You have the #1 billing AM, and the #2 billing AM. What you do is sell the hell out of them, not cut your possible inventory in half..... unless you are just trying to lose money!

96.5 could do something different. No reason for the 1210, #2 AM station in town to change format. You can have fantasies about it, but in the real world, it has no real options that generates more revenue than it does right now, so it will keep doing what it does.

The way radio is right now especially with what when down in the CBS radio Philly cluster recently , anything can happen. No stations are safe.

The way radio is right now especially with what when down in the CBS radio Philly cluster recently , anything can happen. No stations are safe.

Yes, they are. Layoffs happen. They happen in all businesses. They've always happened in radio, too.

WOGL is safe. WPHT is safe. WBEB is safe. The list goes on.

I wonder will there be new people running the Philly cluster once Entercom takes over or will Entercom keep the current management team for the Philly cluster?

Hard to say, but management is usually the first to turn over in ownership changes. It's not usually a position you want when you get sold.

Probably most stations are safe in terms of branding and formats. That, however, doesn't mean the people are. WOGL's format is in no danger of going, but how many people there have been let go in the last year?

Hard to say, but management is usually the first to turn over in ownership changes. It's not usually a position you want when you get sold.

Entercom is not a top-heavy company. CBS is. My guess is that there won't be a big management change, but there will be fewer managers in the building.

CBS Philly is a successful operation, not a lot of problems that need fixing. So I expect the market managers will stay.

Please, please feel free to post any rumors and news that you, the posters may have regarding the 6 CBS radio Philadelphia stations, in this thread. With the Entercom merger near, anything can happen with 1210 WPHT, 94 WIP. 92.5 WXTU, 98.1 WOGL, KYW 1060 AM and/or 96.5 FM

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom