• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

CBS Radio Merger

Just trying to decipher your above statement and/or questions, bottom line in SoCal it doesn't matter what pablum will be coming from the stations you mentioned, there's no new ground to be expected in this market anymore IMHO;;; Thank God for Tune In Radio Pro and Bluetooth in the car!!!!

Last edited:
They are one over on FM. 106.7 has the weakest signal of the 6, but is a legacy station that is underperforming. It would be great if CBS would sell 100.3 back to Bonneville, who owned it prior to swapping it with Entercom for their Denver cluster.

Rams Owner Stan Kronke's KSE Radio Ventures would be the more likely buyer of 100.3, and it may not flip to all sports. They operate three music FM's in Denver.

There are rumblings of a Houston/LA swap with Cumulus involving KRBE for either KSWD or KCBS-FM. Not sure, though, if the revenue equals out enough, and Cumulus probably doesn't have enough cash to make up the difference. I suppose Cumulus could throw in a few smaller market stations, like one in Indy where Entercom isn't maxed out, trade stronger signals for weaker ones in markets where both own stations, like Memphis, or add translators where Entercom also owns stations, like KC, to make up the difference.

There are rumblings of a Houston/LA swap with Cumulus involving KRBE for either KSWD or KCBS-FM. Not sure, though, if the revenue equals out enough, and Cumulus probably doesn't have enough cash to make up the difference.

The issue here also involves facilities. KCBS-FM is arguably among the best FM facilities in the market, with high power and considerably greater height than any of the other Mt Wilson facilities. The poor facility in the combined group is KROQ, followed by KSWD.

There is always a possibility of swapping frequencies and formats. In the long run, the new Entercom cluster will want the best facilities, and KROQ is not a great technical facility.

From what I understand, Cumulus would love to get KSWD because of all the damage it has done to KLOS. I wouldn't put it past Entercom to offer The Sound intellectual property plus 106.7. I don't see Entercom getting rid of 93.1 either.

They are one over on FM. 106.7 has the weakest signal of the 6, but is a legacy station that is underperforming. It would be great if CBS would sell 100.3 back to Bonneville, who owned it prior to swapping it with Entercom for their Denver cluster.

Bonneville is out of the LA market. Thats why they left. Either Saul Levine or Cumulus will get it. CBS will want to have people familiar with the LA market and Saul is familiar as well as Cumulus. Saul could make it interesting if he got 100.3 i dont see him doing classic rock though. I could see him trying to go after KEARTH like he did with KOST during the holiday season. In order to grab a piece of the classic hits crowd from K-earth.

Bonneville is out of the LA market. Thats why they left. Either Saul Levine or Cumulus will get it. CBS will want to have people familiar with the LA market and Saul is familiar as well as Cumulus. Saul could make it interesting if he got 100.3 i dont see him doing classic rock though. I could see him trying to go after KEARTH like he did with KOST during the holiday season. In order to grab a piece of the classic hits crowd from K-earth.

I think that there is no way on the planet that Saul will load on debt for a new FM in LA at his stage in life.

CBS will have no part of the sale of one of the former CBS radio stations as they will have exited the business administratively.

Entercom will not necessarily want someone who "knows LA" to take over whatever frequency the don't want (106.7 is the worst technical facility). They'd prefer someone who does not bother them in sales.

Cumulus might get The Sound, which is also a lesser facility than the other 4. The idea being discussed is that Cumulus gets an LA signal while Entercome gets KRBE and a couple of other properties in exchange.

KRTH divided by two goes from KRTH being anywhere between 4th and 7th in 25-54 to each station being around 20th in share. That is an "out of the money" rank.

I thought David that KROQ was housed in the same building as the other CBS radio FM's in LA?

Am i wrong on this? Or did CBS just not upgrade KROQ's facilities like they did with KCBS FM?

I thought David that KROQ was housed in the same building as the other CBS radio FM's in LA?

The FMs have a number of different transmitter sites, with the best being the location of KCBS-FM on the side of the 1000 foot KCBS-TV tower on top of Mt Wilson.

Those individual transmitter sites were built and operating before consolidation. For various reasons, they were never combined in a single site (all but KROQ are on the top of Wilson).

Am i wrong on this? Or did CBS just not upgrade KROQ's facilities like they did with KCBS FM?

KROQ can't be upgraded due to spacing issues. KCBS-FM was up on Mt Wilson with now grandfathered power before it could be blocked by other stations around SoCal. KROQ is pretty much stuck way down on Verdugo up in Glendale. Of course, all the CBS cluster auxiliary sites are there.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom