• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

CBS and Entercom Merging

KNDD ain't going anywhere. The End is too much of a heritage station. If that thing were to be blown up, I suspect industry experts will start having conversations about the death of Alternative, just like what happened a few years ago when WKQX and WRXP were blown up for unsuccessful formats. While Alternative has returned to 101.1 in Chicago, NYC still doesn't have an Alternative station despite the format having some success on 101.9.

None of which has any bearing to what will happen to The End. If they think playing only Barbra Streisand would do better than Alternative, then that is what they will do.

Steve Jobs didn't wonder about the heritage of rotary telephones when he created the iPhone. Why should David Field feel the same way about a music format?

Entercom will do whatever is in the best interests of its shareholders. Period. It matters not to them what "looks good on paper" or any other romantic notions.

Sometimes what "looks good on paper" is what the shareholders want to see/hear. For anybody who has received annual reports from publicly traded companies (I did from Phillip Morris and Goldfields for years) its glossy attractive nonsense...but it looked and sounded good! The numbers in the back of the guide are what truly matters.

Radio-X

Last edited:
Looks like the decision has been made which stations will potentially be spun into a Divestiture Trust--

KISW 99.9 FM, KKWF 100.7 FM, KNDD 107.7 FM, KHTP 103.7 FM, KFNQ 1090 AM, KJAQ 96.5 FM, KMPS 97.3 FM, KZOK 102.5 FM

http://www.allaccess.com/net-news/a...com-cbs-list-stations-potentially-to-be-spun-

I was under the impression that they're essentially putting everything into the trust so they can maximize their options, though Lance Venta may have gotten it wrong.

It's so much fun watching the speculation

What "decision"? It's merely a listing of all the stations owned by CBS or Entercom. And I was referring to the speculation prior to that post. Oh well, I may as well join the speculators...
The new Entercom will retain both country formats and control that segment of the market. That narrows the list.

Good one Bill.

Regarding the comment about any legacy stations being of interest to a Board of Directors or shareholders? In all the numerous board meetings I've attended, at no point has legacy format retention of any station been discussed. Format discussion is usually framed as forward-thinking predictions like: "We're hopeful and research seems to back up the claims that our addition of sports in (insert market) will result in X% increase of BCF for that particular market." When it came to discussion of merger or ownership cap restrictions in a board meeting, would the subject come up of the concern or urgency to keep a legacy classic rock or country station in a particular market? Nope.

What "decision"? It's merely a listing of all the stations owned by CBS or Entercom. And I was referring to the speculation prior to that post. Oh well, I may as well join the speculators...
The new Entercom will retain both country formats and control that segment of the market. That narrows the list.

You're actually not the only one to predict that, I was talking with the GM at KRKO/KKXA and he's of the same opinion.

To add an FM station simulcast you have to look at the incremental 'new' audience that you pick up in addition to what you already have on the AM. Trading listeners doesn't count. Since sports is finite Universe- with the exception of some play by play like Seahawks or Mariners that has a broader appeal- the incremental audience has to come from a competing sports station. So are you- as that listener over at station X- willing to give up your favorite host of content because you can listen in FM to station Y? It might get a few people in the tent, but my guess is it probably doesn't pencil. As far as potential buyers, Bonneville or Hubbard would be my best guesses since they are here with strong stations and well funded companies. But the chess pieces move on a board far away from here in ways we'll never understand - so it's anyone's guess.

To add an FM station simulcast you have to look at the incremental 'new' audience that you pick up in addition to what you already have on the AM. Trading listeners doesn't count. Since sports is finite Universe- with the exception of some play by play like Seahawks or Mariners that has a broader appeal- the incremental audience has to come from a competing sports station. So are you- as that listener over at station X- willing to give up your favorite host of content because you can listen in FM to station Y? It might get a few people in the tent, but my guess is it probably doesn't pencil. As far as potential buyers, Bonneville or Hubbard would be my best guesses since they are here with strong stations and well funded companies. But the chess pieces move on a board far away from here in ways we'll never understand - so it's anyone's guess.

Spot on. For all the talk about heritage and sentimental feelings about a station, ownership decisions are going to be made in the best interest of shareholders and with the help of an Excel document. With the number of stations, markets and owners involved, there's likely a lot of wheeling and dealing going on right now.

I'll say it because no one here cares about country: There's a new PD at The Wolf. Drew Bland is moving all the way from Orlando to Seattle to take the gig with Entercom starting next month. The job had been vacant since the first week of February. The station has been in free fall lately, with now co-owned KMPS in the Top 10.

I'll say it because no one here cares about country: There's a new PD at The Wolf. Drew Bland is moving all the way from Orlando to Seattle to take the gig with Entercom starting next month. The job had been vacant since the first week of February. The station has been in free fall lately, with now co-owned KMPS in the Top 10.

Once the Bellevue LPFM situation has been thoroughly hashed out, perhaps talking about The Wolf's PD change may become newsworthy.

The Wolf has been slipping before Preston's departure was announced. KMPS sounds fresher and more engaging right now.

I hope Bland has some language in his contract to protect him should The Wolf be no more as a result of the merger.

I actually did see this, wasn't going to bring it up. It is interesting that since last Christmas KKWF has been falling pretty hard.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom