• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

CBS RADIO merges with Entercom: DFW Impact

LibertyNT

Star Participant
The Following are the CBS Stations in our market

AM: 1080 KRLD

FM: 98.7 KLUV; 100.3 KJKK; 103.7 KVIL; 105.3 KRLD-FM; 107.5 KMVK

CBS Radio also owns and operates Texas State Networks, with KRLD serving as the flagship.

It will be interesting to see what Entercom will do here, if anything.

well, this merger insures that Entercom will finally enter the DFW radio market.

the lowest performing station of the entire CBS Radio DFW (now soon to be Entercom DFW) Custer will flip formats and of course that about it.

here's what Entercom will gain from this market besides the CBS radio stations:
Texas State Networks (as mentioned by LibertyNT)
Texas Rangers baseball radio broadcast rights.
Dallas Cowboys football radio broadcast rights (that's a huge freaking deal for this company cause it's the Dallas Cowboys).

pretty much, that's what Entercom gets once the merger is complete.

Well the lowest rated CBS station flip-flops between KRLD and KMVK. (In the near useless 6+ Book)

No way they'd nuke KRLD but Entercom doesn't appear to own any spanish language radio stations which puts KMVK in the spotlight. On an intersting note they DO own a few Alternative stations, with The Edge gone and with nothing to lose on Entercom's part I could see them going for it on 107.5, which might be the market's only chance of getting that format back. Otherwise I'm not sure what they'd flip KMVK to, if they even flip it at all.

On a side note, if any station needs to die in DFW it has to be 570. Always near the bottom, put the poor thing out of its misery. Or maybe 1190, I don't think it even showed up in the book. Sad to see how hard KLIF has fallen on both of its frequencies.

Last edited:
Entercom will still be over the caps in Sacramento, Seattle, and San Diego in addition to Boston and San Francisco.

As for how DFW will be affected, it's hard to say. Over time, the current CBS Radio cluster will likely be less involved with KTVT, but both are sales focused companies first and foremost. Entercom is known for being more tight fisted in the programming department, though CBS has been slimming down there, too, even during the Dan Mason era. Hardest to say is what will happen to the Spanish-language stations, though I suspect Entercom will keep them if they're meeting or exceeding expectations.

Hardest to say is what will happen to the Spanish-language stations, though I suspect Entercom will keep them if they're meeting or exceeding expectations.

KLOL is a very nice biller, but KMVK has had quite low ratings in the last 8 to 12 months. But KMVK is not a full C facility, either.

Entercom doesn't appear to own any spanish language radio stations which puts KMVK in the spotlight.

The question would be whether they can do any better with another format on what is not a full 100 kw class C... it is just 17 kw, but still at nearly 1800 feet HAAT.

Given that Entercom started by owning FM's and running cheap programming at a time when FM wasn't profitable and learned how to do formats other than classical and B/EZ in a short amount of time, I have little doubt that it could learn Spanish-language programming if it thinks that's the best use of KLOL and La Grande.

No way they'd nuke KRLD but Entercom doesn't appear to own any spanish language radio stations which puts KMVK in the spotlight. On an intersting note they DO own a few Alternative stations, with The Edge gone and with nothing to lose on Entercom's part I could see them going for it on 107.5, which might be the market's only chance of getting that format back. Otherwise I'm not sure what they'd flip KMVK to, if they even flip it at all.

Entercom has a handful of great alternative formats (i.e KRBZ/Kansas City, KNDD/Seattle, KNRK/Portland to name a few) that lean more indie and newer with some deep cut 90's and 2000's (not the same "Smells Like Teen Spirit/Seven Nation Army" playlist). In fact, I do prefer Entercom's alternative way more than iHeart. Let's not forget that CBS Radio also have a handful of alternative formats too (KITS/San Francisco, KXTE/Las Vegas, and of course KROQ/Los Angeles). They're okay but nothing too much to praise about. CBS does lean their alternative stations similar to iHeart with heavy 90's and harder music.

If the merger comes through, KMVK would definitely be an (no pun intended) alternative possibility. However, yes, the signal is a bit larger than 93.3's but not a 100,000 watt stick but I still think we have two possible stations that could flip to alternative: 93.3 and probably 107.5

if Entercom does launch an Alternative/Modern Rock station in this market once the merger is complete, i'm sure it will be the first time since 93.3 that the IHeartRadio DFW rock monopoly has competition from a different radio company instead of running the market unopposed in the Rock formats in the era.

but which station gets the flip to that.

Given that Entercom started by owning FM's and running cheap programming at a time when FM wasn't profitable and learned how to do formats other than classical and B/EZ in a short amount of time, I have little doubt that it could learn Spanish-language programming if it thinks that's the best use of KLOL and La Grande.

Back in the 80's when Joe Field was running the company day to day, they had Spanish-language KBRG 105 in San Francisco.

kbrg.jpg

107.5 and 93.3 are comparable in terms of coverage to the northern portion of the market, in fact it looks as though their 60db stops at about the same spot in Collin and Denton Counties. David does raise a good point, could 107.5 do any better than it is doing now?
Does anybody remember how it did as The Oasis? (Ya Know, before the format withered away)

107.5 and 93.3 are comparable in terms of coverage to the northern portion of the market, in fact it looks as though their 60db stops at about the same spot in Collin and Denton Counties. David does raise a good point, could 107.5 do any better than it is doing now?
Does anybody remember how it did as The Oasis? (Ya Know, before the format withered away)

4.1 (6th place tie w/KLUV) 12+ in Winter 2002 appears to be the last time 107.5 broke a 4 share. Switched to Movin' format Fall 2006.

4.1 (6th place tie w/KLUV) 12+ in Winter 2002 appears to be the last time 107.5 broke a 4 share. Switched to Movin' format Fall 2006.

And in that same book, they got a #3 rank with a 4.9 in 25-54.

And in that same book, they got a #3 rank with a 4.9 in 25-54.

So it appears the stick isn't currently living up to its potential and could possibly do better.
DFW has a few format holes, the biggest being a full market classic country stick (I Think 80s/90s Country could do well) and Alternative.

So it appears the stick isn't currently living up to its potential and could possibly do better.
DFW has a few format holes, the biggest being a full market classic country stick (I Think 80s/90s Country could do well) and Alternative.
Remember, those were prior to the PPM method of ratings. So while it may have cracked a 4 share back then, you may want to look to 2005(iirc) and later to really see how the station did. The old diaries were based on pure recall, so while someone may have written down they listened to the oasis 6 hours a day, in reality it was much, much less.

Remember, those were prior to the PPM method of ratings. So while it may have cracked a 4 share back then, you may want to look to 2005(iirc) and later to really see how the station did. The old diaries were based on pure recall, so while someone may have written down they listened to the oasis 6 hours a day, in reality it was much, much less.

PPM rolled out nationally in the 2008 to 2010 period.

Generally, stations with a lower cume and high AQH got squashed by PPM as folks might write "9 AM to 5 PM" in the diary, without adjusting for lunch breaks, time away from the desk or workstation, bathroom breaks, phone calls, meetings or jobs away from the work location, etc. So those 8 hours in the diary became 3 hours in multiple incidents.

And in the case of The Oasis, they got low cume due both to the format and to the lack of full coverage.

Classic Country has a demographic problem where many if not most listeners will be out of the 25-54 or 18-49 sales demos.

Alternative has not been a good format for recent converts to the format. Look at iHeart's Alt station in Philly: top 5 in 18-49, but 15th in billings. Similar stories seem to be attached to almost every convert to the format in the last decade, with reasonable audience delivery but poor sales results.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom