• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

CBS/Entercom Merger Affects Atlanta

RoddyFreeman

Walk of Fame Participant
CBS Radio of course owns V-103, 92-9 The Game and WOAK while Entercom owns Star 94-1. Both have strong leaders in Atlanta with Rick Caffey at CBS and Mike Fowler at Entercom. With current Entercom CEO David Field heading the new company, it's probable Entercom people will have an advantage. But you never know how these things play out.

Entercom seems to have a policy of voice-tracking nights and weekends. V-103 has always stood apart because it was live all of the time.

This certainly will take some time to happen, and I'm sure some stations in some markets will be spun off, most likely to Beasley.

The Boston Market seems to be the most interesting situation Roddy. The merger will put both Sports Stations under the same ownership.

Entercom owns SportsRadio 93.7 WEEI-FM (along with ESPN 850 WEEI), while CBS owns 98.5 The Sports Hub. Both all-sports stations are mostly live and local. WEEI-FM is the flagship of The Redsox while the other professional teams in Boston - Patriots, Bruins, Celtics are on 98.5 The Sports Hub.

Also Beasley is maxed out on FMs in Boston having 5 - 92.9 Alt Rock, 96.9 Throwback Hip-hop and R&B and some currents, 102.5 Country, 105.7 Classic Hits, and 106.7 AC.

CBS Radio of course owns V-103, 92-9 The Game and WOAK while Entercom owns Star 94-1. Both have strong leaders in Atlanta with Rick Caffey at CBS and Mike Fowler at Entercom. With current Entercom CEO David Field heading the new company, it's probable Entercom people will have an advantage. But you never know how these things play out.

Entercom seems to have a policy of voice-tracking nights and weekends. V-103 has always stood apart because it was live all of the time.

This certainly will take some time to happen, and I'm sure some stations in some markets will be spun off, most likely to Beasley.

I hope this goes better than the Citadel - ABC Radio deal went. Just a brief read I don’t think there will be the debt that Citadel ended up with. I also hope that cluster management will be based on experience, success, and talent rather than which company they came from.

IMHO: Citadel’s cutting of the “fat” at the old ABC stations did not improve the bottom line in the long run. Those folks were there for a reason. There is a difference in running a sub top 10 cluster and a top ten.

From the media buying side, I'm looking forward to it. The sales department at Atlanta CBS is the most disorganized mess that I've ever worked with. Try getting production done in less than 10 days...try getting traffic for a client....try getting a credit applied within two billing cycles....I know if I need something it will take 10 calls/emails.

Heck, the brokered stations (860 is a good example) on their worst day are more 'can do' and attentive than 92.9's on its best day. Not exaggerating.

Anxious for a new culture and much better client service.

Last edited:
The Boston Market seems to be the most interesting situation Roddy. The merger will put both Sports Stations under the same ownership.

Entercom owns SportsRadio 93.7 WEEI-FM (along with ESPN 850 WEEI), while CBS owns 98.5 The Sports Hub. Both all-sports stations are mostly live and local. WEEI-FM is the flagship of The Redsox while the other professional teams in Boston - Patriots, Bruins, Celtics are on 98.5 The Sports Hub.

Also Beasley is maxed out on FMs in Boston having 5 - 92.9 Alt Rock, 96.9 Throwback Hip-hop and R&B and some currents, 102.5 Country, 105.7 Classic Hits, and 106.7 AC.

http://www.allaccess.com/net-news/a...com-surrenders-license-of-kdnd-sacramento-mov

Update KDND Sacramento the Entercom station is California has surrendered its license.

Well San Francisco and Sacramento are the two markets to watch because Entercom Runs the risk of being over the Ownership caps.

There shouldn't be any required spinoffs in Atlanta with Entercom owning 1 FM and CBS owning 2 FMs and 1 AM. 3 FMs and 1 AM should be all what Entercom needs in Atlanta.

Not impressed with Entercom

101.1 has had a dead carrier for 4 days now. What is the purpose of this translator? They just wanted a frequency and sit on it. They apparently have no schedule for the simulcast or carrying the HD2 oldies feed. And there's no stereo pilot.
Shouldn't they be airing an ID at the top of the hour? I bet they've got an IT guy for a CE. YIKES. He'll get them fined for sure.

101.1 has had a dead carrier for 4 days now. What is the purpose of this translator? They just wanted a frequency and sit on it. They apparently have no schedule for the simulcast or carrying the HD2 oldies feed. And there's no stereo pilot.
Shouldn't they be airing an ID at the top of the hour? I bet they've got an IT guy for a CE. YIKES. He'll get them fined for sure.

The 101.1 translator would be hard to pick up with 101.1 WLJA Ellijay on the same frequency at the FCC’s Power Springs station.

Hopefully Entercom is willing to relocate Star 94.1 to Colony Square in Midtown. It wouldn't make any sense if V-103 has to move its studios out into suburbia away from its centrally located core audience.

Hopefully Entercom is willing to relocate Star 94.1 to Colony Square in Midtown. It wouldn't make any sense if V-103 has to move its studios out into suburbia away from its centrally located core audience.

The real issue is buy-out cost of the lease(s). Is there enough room for all the morning shows at one location? With E shopping expected to be the end of some retailers, and virtual offices, nice and secure 5 to 10 thousand square feet locations should not be hard to find. In a mostly digital world, your facilities can be almost anywhere. There is the “control point” for FCC inspectors and EAS but really there is usually not a required physical presence anymore with VO, syndicated programming etc. V103 could be the exception. Rent costs will only go up with the new stadium near the 94.1 studios. With limos, ride share apps, and taxis any on air guest that is not being driven around by their agent can be transported into the station.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom