• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

CBS Radio-Entercom merger--local impact

Acquiring 104.1 then moving Mix more Adult Contemporary is a great idea, KODA needs a competitor. KLOL and KKHH as David mentioned are performing at very high levels right now. There is absolutely no reason at all to tinker with either one of them. If you look at the market, KKHH is the only Adult Hits/Classic Hits type station in the market with only 1 classic rock competitor. It was a no brainer to switch to adult hits and the strong 80s focused playlist is paying dividends, they are already just inches away from taking the 25-54 crown, and you gotta think that with the way the market is set up, they have a very wide lane to ride into even more growth. It is actually crazy that KROI doesn't try a classic hits type format. The signal is not that great so why not provide something you cannot get anywhere else? Why would I listen to the same music on a staticy 92.1 when I got 104.1?

Here's another video I found which runs down potential format changes in Houston

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xUnq4hik34

Here's a summary on what HobbyManZxc wants Entercom to do with their Houston cluster post-merger:

1. Flip Mega 101.1/KLOL back to a certain form of rock
2. Flip 95.7 back to CHR, move The Spot to 96.5 or shift 96.5 to Mainstream AC.

Wishful thinking to him, if anything they should bring LA GRANDE to a FM channel so MEGA could claim OUR SISTER STATION.

Why would I listen to the same music on a staticy 92.1 when I got 104.1?
Why would you listen to radio with commercials when you can connect your iPod, or other device and hear Cristal clear music without anything interruptions?

Maybe cause on air personalities?

For example? Why would anyone listen to LA MEJOR? LA QUE BUENA? LA RAZA? EL NORTE if KLTN sounds wayyyyyyyyy better?

Mega is in the top 10 in 25-54, and a good biller.

KKHH has just had about the most amazing growth of any station in the market in a decade or more, concentrated in the most salable demos. It's not going anywhere, and the swap partner is not, either.

These predictions are coming, obviously, from folks with a personal agenda... their favorite music or personalities. They are not looking at cluster strategy for either sales or ratings. They are not looking at business necessities; in fact, they are not looking at radio as a business but as a personal juke box.

I understand what you're telling me. I didn't think that there would be any format changes in Entercom's Houston cluster since HobbyManZxc probably doesn't look for the actual numbers for these radio stations anyways. I like The Spot branding that CBS has brought to 95.7, and it may have the potential to replace Jack FM.

HobbyManZxc has made good predictions such as La Grande 107.5 in Dallas-Fort Worth possibly changing formats, but thinks of it more as a strategy for Entercom to eliminate Spanish language formats on their radio stations, regardless of how well the stations are performing. In addition to the Spanish language stations CBS owns, Entercom owns a Regional Mexican station is Kansas City. He also doesn't consider existing format holes in markets where Entercom will own stations.

I understand what you're telling me. I didn't think that there would be any format changes in Entercom's Houston cluster since HobbyManZxc probably doesn't look for the actual numbers for these radio stations anyways. I like The Spot branding that CBS has brought to 95.7, and it may have the potential to replace Jack FM.

HobbyManZxc has made good predictions such as La Grande 107.5 in Dallas-Fort Worth possibly changing formats, but thinks of it more as a strategy for Entercom to eliminate Spanish language formats on their radio stations, regardless of how well the stations are performing. In addition to the Spanish language stations CBS owns, Entercom owns a Regional Mexican station is Kansas City. He also doesn't consider existing format holes in markets where Entercom will own stations.

I keep seeing posts about Entercom not doing Spanish-language radio, or not doing it well, and wonder why Entercom just doesn't hire someone with a strong track record in Spanish-language radio (like David, perhaps?), especially if Entercom's acquisition of the CBS stations will leave it with Spanish-language stations in markets with no obvious format holes (except the ones advertisers shun). How is Entercom's KC Mexican station doing?

I keep seeing posts about Entercom not doing Spanish-language radio, or not doing it well, and wonder why Entercom just doesn't hire someone with a strong track record in Spanish-language radio (like David, perhaps?), especially if Entercom's acquisition of the CBS stations will leave it with Spanish-language stations in markets with no obvious format holes (except the ones advertisers shun).

Entercom will get two format experts with the acquisition of CBS: Tony Luna (KLOL) who is great with contemporary formats, going back to very big wins in Puerto Rico in the 90's and, then, JD González who is at KMVK and an expert in both crossover and Regional Mexican (He was the original PD of The Beat in San Antonio and was national PD for Hispanic Broadcasting).

Thanks for the plug; I am already nicely employed with a role in a dozen or so markets.

Although Entercom would be a competitor, I think the industry and the sector are enhanced by quality players who have good programming, rate integrity and who view Spanish language as a valuable format option area.

Those of us on this and other boards are quite used to good, valuable users of radio who view programming from the perspective of their own personal taste. Their input is valuable and sometimes insightful, but with the caveat that they become annoying very rapidly if they do not see the total market and the business aspects of radio when these are explained.

Every so often, one of those "simply a listener" opinions will come with a big load of truth. The best example comes from a listener one-on-one interview when WNUA in Chicago converted to a "wave-like" new age format: a listener referred to the music as "smooth jazz" and the name became the station's positioner and, eventually, the name for the format nationally.

Just for the record, Entercom doesn't operate its regional Mexican station in KC. A local Hispanic market and disco operates it, and its studios are in the same complex in Kansas City, KS. Only the EAS box and transmitter logs are at the main Entercom complex in Mission, KS on Squibb Rd (near the corner of Shawnee-Mission Parkway and Metcalf). The Hispanic market previously leased another station in the market and took over Entercom's station 10-15 years ago.

As I've mentioned before, Entercom may not do Spanish language programming today, but it got its start buying FM's when nobody wanted to own FM's. As it was running operations that weren't very financially viable, it tended to run low cost and niche programming, including Spanish language. It ran a Spanish language station in San Francisco until the early 80's.

As I've mentioned before, Entercom may not do Spanish language programming today, but it got its start buying FM's when nobody wanted to own FM's. As it was running operations that weren't very financially viable, it tended to run low cost and niche programming, including Spanish language. It ran a Spanish language station in San Francisco until the early 80's.

And this will also be a return to the Houston market for Entercom, which once owned KLEF>>KJYY>>KLDE on 94.5.

Just for the record, Entercom doesn't operate its regional Mexican station in KC. A local Hispanic market and disco operates it, and its studios are in the same complex in Kansas City, KS. Only the EAS box and transmitter logs are at the main Entercom complex in Mission, KS on Squibb Rd (near the corner of Shawnee-Mission Parkway and Metcalf). The Hispanic market previously leased another station in the market and took over Entercom's station 10-15 years ago.

Thanks for pointing that out. I didn't know that the station was being LMA'd. Out of the three Spanish language stations Entercom will acquire from CBS Radio, I can see Entercom retaining the formats for both KLOL in Houston and WLZL in Baltimore/Washington D.C. while KMVK may change formats since the station seems to be well behind Univision's KLNO.

Out of the three Spanish language stations Entercom will acquire from CBS Radio, I can see Entercom retaining the formats for both KLOL in Houston and WLZL in Baltimore/Washington D.C. while KMVK may change formats since the station seems to be well behind Univision's KLNO.

In a market that is 30% Hispanic and has about 2.1 million Hispanics, there is room for considerably more than one Spanish language radio station.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom