• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

CBS Radio-Entercom merger--local impact

I'm wondering if Houston might still be involved. Cox has exactly three markets where it has radio and no TV, and Houston is one of them. Granted, it would require a third party, but Entercom will have to spin off stations in Seattle, Sacramento, Boston, San Francisco, Los Angeles, and a class A in San Diego. Cox has TV in Boston and Seattle and would likely be interested in radio properties there.

Spin the format wheel for all the local CBS stations.

You'd really blow up the #1 country station in the money demo, the #2 Spanish station (#1 in its format) and the #1 sports station?

Interesting approach.

You'd really blow up the #1 country station in the money demo, the #2 Spanish station (#1 in its format) and the #1 sports station?

Interesting approach.

And replace them with what? Let me guess -- '50/'60s oldies, AAA and progressive talk, right?

There are already rumblings of a KRBE for a Los Angeles FM (probably either KSWD or KCBS-FM) swap.

There are already rumblings of a KRBE for a Los Angeles FM (probably either KSWD or KCBS-FM) swap.

Yes, that possibility is getting play in various media sources, especially with KSWD. There is also chatter that Entercom might unload the KROQ 106.7 signal in LA, as it is said to be the weakest of the cluster, and move the format to the somewhat better KSWD 100.3 facility.

Yes, that possibility is getting play in various media sources, especially with KSWD. There is also chatter that Entercom might unload the KROQ 106.7 signal in LA, as it is said to be the weakest of the cluster, and move the format to the somewhat better KSWD 100.3 facility.

More than "somewhat".

KSWD has nearly 4,000,000 more people in its 60 dbu than KROQ.

KROQ is on a hill in Glendale, to the northern side of the market. KSWD is up on Mt Wilson.

CBS-FM? Never. It is among the absolute best signals in the market. The worst signal is the KROQ facility, which is not even up on the mountain.

I can certainly see Entercom acquire KRBE from Cumulus, their sole Houston property. It fits well within the ownership caps for Entercom and gives them a Top 40 station since 95.7 flipped to Adult Hits.

Here's another video I found which runs down potential format changes in Houston

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xUnq4hik34

Here's a summary on what HobbyManZxc wants Entercom to do with their Houston cluster post-merger:

1. Flip Mega 101.1/KLOL back to a certain form of rock
2. Flip 95.7 back to CHR, move The Spot to 96.5 or shift 96.5 to Mainstream AC.

My thoughts on these so far:
Despite supporting the idea of flipping Mega 101.1 back to a form of rock, the stations seems to be doing fine even though Entercom would have a very few Spanish radio stations in their portfolio, which also goes to the idea that Entercom should blow up La Grande 107.5 in Dallas-Fort Worth and flip it to a rock station. Mega seems to be pulling in good numbers, so I wouldn't expect it to flip.

Considering rumors that Entercom may acquire KRBE from Cumulus if they swap some of their spinoffs with them, it would give Entercom a CHR in the Houston market, so there wouldn't be a point in Entercom bringing back CHR on 95.7. Besides, The Spot seems to be pulling in some good numbers, so I can't see that station flipping post-merger. Mix 96.5 is also doing fine as it is, so there wouldn't be much of a change for them post-merger either.

1. Flip Mega 101.1/KLOL back to a certain form of rock
2. Flip 95.7 back to CHR, move The Spot to 96.5 or shift 96.5 to Mainstream AC.

Mega is in the top 10 in 25-54, and a good biller.

KKHH has just had about the most amazing growth of any station in the market in a decade or more, concentrated in the most salable demos. It's not going anywhere, and the swap partner is not, either.

These predictions are coming, obviously, from folks with a personal agenda... their favorite music or personalities. They are not looking at cluster strategy for either sales or ratings. They are not looking at business necessities; in fact, they are not looking at radio as a business but as a personal juke box.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom