CBS Radio to merge with Entercom - Page 2
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: CBS Radio to merge with Entercom

the combined Entercom will add the CBS brand to its current name as well

I don't see Entercom expanding the AMP brand, but they could be rebranded though. In the case of KQKS/Denver, they're doing well as a Rhythmic Top 40. I agree that Entercom should bring 102 Jamz back to Orlando and be reunited with its Greensboro-Winston Salem-High Point sibling.

Quote Originally Posted by nickp View Post
    the combined Entercom will add the CBS brand to its current name as well
    Huh? That's not what the press release says:

"The new company will be known as Entercom, headquartered in Philadelphia and led by current Entercom President/CEO David Field."

Moderator/Assistant Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by only1moore View Post
    I don't see Entercom expanding the AMP brand, but they could be rebranded though. In the case of KQKS/Denver, they're doing well as a Rhythmic Top 40. I agree that Entercom should bring 102 Jamz back to Orlando and be reunited with its Greensboro-Winston Salem-High Point sibling.
    The first step is to do the spins to stay within caps. Very few of the CBS stations are under-performing to the extent that the added expense of a format flip is essential at a time that most of management's time will be taken in integrating the two operations and cultures.

Any immediate changes would likely be to resolve cases where Entercom ends up with two stations in the same or similar formats.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, RCA Broadcast News, Television Magazine, Radio Annual, Radio News, Sponsor, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, M Street Directory, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Quote Originally Posted by only1moore View Post
    In the case of KQKS/Denver, they're doing well as a Rhythmic Top 40.
    When I said Denver, I actually meant KALC-FM which is behind KQKS by 0.5 points.

If Entercom / CBS radio deal goes through wouldn't Entercom have to make CBS Radio News and CBS Radio Sports an Entercom Distribution operation? Because for now CBS Radio News and CBS Sports radio is under the Westwood One Brand for now I don't know when that expires.

I don't see KALC making changes either, and they seem to holding their own against Adult Top 40 rival KIMN and Top 40/CHR KPTT.

Quote Originally Posted by RadioPatrol View Post
    If Entercom / CBS radio deal goes through wouldn't Entercom have to make CBS Radio News and CBS Radio Sports an Entercom Distribution operation? Because for now CBS Radio News and CBS Sports radio is under the Westwood One Brand for now I don't know when that expires.
    CBS Radio News will be retained by CBS News and CBS Corporation. It has nothing to do with this deal.

CBS Sports Radio is a partnership among CBS Sports, CBS Radio, and Cumulus/Westwood One. All three are equal partners and share in the revenue. Entercom inherits one third of the existing deal.

Which will see a bigger impact with "staffing adjustments" sales or engineering for the combined staff's.

Quote Originally Posted by xmtrland View Post
    Which will see a bigger impact with "staffing adjustments" sales or engineering for the combined staff's.
    That's an interesting question. My sense is that the engineering department at CBS is larger than Entercom's, and far better paid. The question is how much longer does the company want to continue to fund R&D in certain areas. If you remember, CBS was one of the initial developers for HD Radio over 20 years ago. CBS is far more involved with interactive and digital than Entercom, so there's a lot of engineering support in that area. It's not only the overall engineering support in NY but also for each market. So there are less synergies in markets where there's no overlap. That would mean fewer cuts in CBS-only markets, more in combined markets. A lot of this depends on how the company will be structured once they are free from the NY base. Meaning if it remains centralized or decentralized.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast