• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

98.5 KNBQ is now K-Love

Kento

New Participating Member
I noticed today that 98.5 was no longer Christmas music. It's now Cont. Christian K-LOVE. It looks like EMF has bought to put K-love to serve the Olympia and South Sound areas where 104.5 is hard to reach. They mention on the Station's ID 104.5 Seattle-Tacoma.

Not surprised. Trying to serve that area because KCMS is weak and KLSW hardly comes in at all.

I just checked 104.5 last night and no mention of KNBQ on that station's legal. KNBQ itself was off the air.

Yes it is

I just checked 104.5 last night and no mention of KNBQ on that station's legal. KNBQ itself was off the air.
KNBQ is in fact on the air. And yes, it is K-Love...
From CHRISTmas to CHRISTian.

Can't help but add a little history to those calls. First used in Tacoma as KTNT changed calls to KNBQ. In the mid-80's, it was one of four, yes FOUR top40's competing in the Seattle market, KUBE, KPLZ, KHIT, and KNBQ. Had some pretty good talent, too. Like Steve Randall, Gary Bryan, Sean Lynch, and others. In '87 they went oldies as K-BEST and with new calls KBSG, filling a hole of no FM oldies in Seattle/Tacoma. In 2008, became KIRO-FM, where they are today with a strong news/talk format under Bonneville.

Last edited:
Another commercial station crushed? Huh?

I believe what they meant was that you decided to sell the frequency to a jesuscaster rather than putting it on the air with a conventional format. And all-Christmas is not "conventional".
. No, EMF is non commercial. They can have as many stations as they like, in every burg in America. They can take over every frequency and there isn't a thing we can do to stop them! The only limiting factor is having enough money to afford it and stations willingness to sell.

. No, EMF is non commercial. They can have as many stations as they like, in every burg in America. They can take over every frequency and there isn't a thing we can do to stop them! The only limiting factor is having enough money to afford it and stations willingness to sell.

Where did I say that EMF IS commercial? Nowhere. And we all already know about what EMF is and isn't and what they can and can't do.

Like WCCC-FM Hartford, from a classic rocker with low ratings to a holier-than-thou music spigot with no ratings.
Could someone explain the term "holier-than-thou". I'm not trying to pick a fight, but every radio market I'm at all familiar with has too many radio stations, so what's the problem if some are Christian or Hindu, spoken word, classical rock, classical music, or whatever? Last I checked, nobody is forced to listen to any of them. As far as commercial stations being "crushed", the bottom line is the bottom line. You generate enough revenues to pay the bills either by asking for contributions from loyal listeners, or by selling advertising. Since this thread started with the K-Love entry into the South Sound market on KNBQ, let it be known that anyone could have stepped up to the plate and offered to buy it. You snooze you lose.

Like WCCC-FM Hartford, from a classic rocker with low ratings to a holier-than-thou music spigot with no ratings.

In most markets, EMF does not subscribe to the ratings. They are actually 12th in the market, where there are 44 total stations "home" to the MSA.

EMF has two very well executed formats.

In most markets, EMF does not subscribe to the ratings. They are actually 12th in the market, where there are 44 total stations "home" to the MSA.

EMF has two very well executed formats.
I noticed that EMF now subscribes to the ratings in Portland and Seattle. It's probably just about everywhere else too but I haven't looked.

Could someone explain the term "holier-than-thou". I'm not trying to pick a fight, but every radio market I'm at all familiar with has too many radio stations, so what's the problem if some are Christian or Hindu, spoken word, classical rock, classical music, or whatever? Last I checked, nobody is forced to listen to any of them. As far as commercial stations being "crushed", the bottom line is the bottom line. You generate enough revenues to pay the bills either by asking for contributions from loyal listeners, or by selling advertising. Since this thread started with the K-Love entry into the South Sound market on KNBQ, let it be known that anyone could have stepped up to the plate and offered to buy it. You snooze you lose.

The asking price? What EMF might want to pay is much higher than the options that a local owner might be willing to buy it for...just curious...

Radio-X

The asking price? What EMF might want to pay is much higher than the options that a local owner might be willing to buy it for...just curious...

Radio-X

What Bill is saying relates to those who would rather be armed chair licensees on a radio discussion board verses someone willing to mortgage their lives to actually buy-into and run stations. Of course, all the risks don't come with being a discussion board expert.

Eventually the answer to my question was answered...

98.5 was sold for $1 million.

That's an impressive wad of cash for a brand-new move in and what it can do on paper...in reality, it is probably very complimentary to places in the South Sound with reception issues on 104.5.

Radio-X

Eventually the answer to my question was answered...

98.5 was sold for $1 million.

That's an impressive wad of cash for a brand-new move in and what it can do on paper...in reality, it is probably very complimentary to places in the South Sound with reception issues on 104.5.

Radio-X
. It should also be better than 104.5 in downtown Seattle once they move.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom