• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Kamp hd?

AM FM listener

Leading Participant
i like to wake up to KAMP-HD2, which simulcasts KNX-AM. For the last couple of weeks, its signal has been unavailable. In fact, even the HD1 signal does not work. The HD's for the other CBS stations work, but not KAMP. Does anyone know why?

could it be because all the snow we have in the mountains

Excellent observation. Buildups of ice on an antenna may cause a station to temporarily switch to an auxiliary transmitter and antenna. Many stations still do not have redundant HD setups on auxiliary transmitters.

Actually they had a failure of their HD encoder atop Mt Wilson during the storm on 22 Jan. They had to order replacement equipment, and I don't know when they will have it repaired. I have been in touch with the KAMP engineer.

Actually they had a failure of their HD encoder atop Mt Wilson during the storm on 22 Jan. They had to order replacement equipment, and I don't know when they will have it repaired. I have been in touch with the KAMP engineer.

This is good to know. Thanks. Any updates on when the new equipment will be in place?

KAMP-HD is back on the air as of this afternoon - 11 Feb. In the next couple of weeks they plan to install a new main transmitter which will add more redundancy to the HD equipment.

KAMP-HD is back on the air as of this afternoon - 11 Feb. In the next couple of weeks they plan to install a new main transmitter which will add more redundancy to the HD equipment.

Thanks for the update. Nice to have KAMP-HD2 back in the mornings.

Thanks for the update. Nice to have KAMP-HD2 back in the mornings.

Agree. While I appreciate that KNX 1070 AM is one of the last remaining AM stations in the market to still broadcast in stereo, which my car radio is equipped to receive, it is especially pleasant on the ears to tune into KNX in FM Stereo on 97.1 HD-2 as I drive up and down the crowded 405 along the south bay curve.
PS.....shame on KFI for having stopped broadcasting in AM Stereo several months ago. Bravo to KABC for continuing to broadcast in AM Stereo.

Agree. While I appreciate that KNX 1070 AM is one of the last remaining AM stations in the market to still broadcast in stereo, which my car radio is equipped to receive, it is especially pleasant on the ears to tune into KNX in FM Stereo on 97.1 HD-2 as I drive up and down the crowded 405 along the south bay curve.
PS.....shame on KFI for having stopped broadcasting in AM Stereo several months ago. Bravo to KABC for continuing to broadcast in AM Stereo.

The degradation of the analog AM signal (5 kHz high end cutoff) and the constant issue of dueling codecs is just not worth it. There are very few AM HD stations left, and I'd be willing to bet that Entercom pulls the system off all the CBS stations after the merger.

They can still put the audio on FM HD-2 or HD-3 signals, where there is no sacrifice of the primary signal.

I hope they don't pull the plug on KNX 1070 HD as it's so nice to listen to in my HD Radio equipped Toyota. But, Entercom will do what it wants once they take the CBS AM stations. Joe G

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom