• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

New Sports Parking Lot

Sports Parking Lot 10~Sixty may go the way of pink underwear & green bologna sandwiches. The Nurse and I wonder if Mother Hubbard will spend the bucks to go HD on 97~Nine and 100~Seven? What they've cobbled together for KAZG (14~Forty, 93~Three HD~Two and 92~Seven) works pretty well.

If Bob Kemp leaves KDUS, that'll be the final nail in their coffin. He's basically the only reason they exist now, other than Cowboys and Raiders football.

What makes this Sports Parking Lot different than all others on Ancient Modulation, are the two translator signals on FM. We remain more confused than ever trying to figure out how an operator of a Class D station (both KFNN & KFQN) can have more than one translator per station.

I see nothing in the rules that forbid doing what they're doing. The 99.1 being moved out of Nogales would need to remain with 1580 because it's being moved in under the AM revitalization rules, but since 99.3 has been on Shaw Butte since the 1980's when Lou Burke signed it on, the only thing they would need to do to switch it away from 1510 would be to advise the commish that the originating station had changed.

I don't see any rules stating that only you can only use one translator for a station, and translators are allowed to be the primary source of other translators, so as long as you're not throwing a pattern on 99.1 or 99.3 that exceeds 1580's contour they should qualify as fill-in.

But I am not a lawyer, nor am I qualified to give advice on these matters. Your DC attorney's opinion may vary.

You know that they're not paying cash for NBC Sports Radio and it's just there to keep the needles moving when something brokered isn't there. I see a future of Hindi hits mixed with colon blow infos and people who want to live out their fantasy of hosting a talk show with "NBC" sports filling the gaps at the big ten sixty. Bring your cash to the Momplex and you too could be a star!

The future of KDUS looks like Hubbard's KKNW in Seattle. Even the fabled 1440 doesn't have to be operational anymore since 92.7 is basically a translator for 93.3 HD2.

So, I wonder what the live sports lineup on 1580/99.1/99.3 look like? GCU basketball seems so out of place on 1230/93.7.

Last edited:
I see nothing in the rules that forbid doing what they're doing. The 99.1 being moved out of Nogales would need to remain with 1580 because it's being moved in under the AM revitalization rules, but since 99.3 has been on Shaw Butte since the 1980's when Lou Burke signed it on, the only thing they would need to do to switch it away from 1510 would be to advise the commish that the originating station had changed.

A tip of the fez to CRC for creatively using three translators to augment their two Class D Ancient Modulation stations. 15~Eighty comes with its own translator, but 15~Ten didn't get their own during the translator land rush last year. Any speculation on the going rate for getting the owner of a translator to carry your station?

But I am not a lawyer

Glad to hear it...we have enough questionable characters on this board!

A tip of the fez to CRC for creatively using three translators to augment their two Class D Ancient Modulation stations. 15~Eighty comes with its own translator, but 15~Ten didn't get their own during the translator land rush last year.

They did! Look up K201CQ which is being roped in from 88.1 Prescott to 105.3 from North Mountain. They filed for a license to cover within the last week. The new translator calls appear to be K287BX.

I have already heard KFNN's new translator operational on 105.3 FM as of today and I have seen Money Radio electronic billboards around town exclaiming the new translator @ 105.3 FM off the I-10. 99.3 FM is also still broadcasting Money Radio until 1580 AM cranks back on the air. That didn't take long for 105.3 to get on the air!

They did! Look up K201CQ which is being roped in from 88.1 Prescott to 105.3 from North Mountain. They filed for a license to cover within the last week. The new translator calls appear to be K287BX.

This is more confusing than a White House press conference! FCC shows Michael Piazza of Scottsdale as licensee of 99~Three and Cedar Cove Broadcasting of Loveland, Co holding the license for 105~Three. Both transmit KFNN, but ownership does not reflect CRC (which is licensee of KFNN, and soon to be KQFN and translator 99~One). The Nurse and I are even more messed up than normal trying to sort all of this out. I"ll have to call something in to the Buckeye CVS pharmacy to calm us down.

This is more confusing than a White House press conference! FCC shows Michael Piazza of Scottsdale as licensee of 99~Three and Cedar Cove Broadcasting of Loveland, Co holding the license for 105~Three. Both transmit KFNN, but ownership does not reflect CRC (which is licensee of KFNN, and soon to be KQFN and translator 99~One). The Nurse and I are even more messed up than normal trying to sort all of this out. I"ll have to call something in to the Buckeye CVS pharmacy to calm us down.

CRC didn't buy 99.3 when they started being carried on that translator. Piazza acquired that translator and a couple in northern Arizona from the man who built it, Lou Burke.

Wonder what CRC is paying to be on those two non-owned translators? Their purchase agreement for 15~Eighty calls for monthly tower space rental (on 12~Eighty's stick) of $2,000 with a 2% escalator provision each year. Lease runs 20 years, so that's a nice bottom line number for the Seller.

Wonder what CRC is paying to be on those two non-owned translators? Their purchase agreement for 15~Eighty calls for monthly tower space rental (on 12~Eighty's stick) of $2,000 with a 2% escalator provision each year. Lease runs 20 years, so that's a nice bottom line number for the Seller.

Running 50,000 watts isn't cheap, but maybe they'll still be using the same transmitter Disney had in Mesa (they were authorized to run "MDCL" mode) and just moving it to the west side, which could save some money. If they find a way to make enough revenue, they should be able to pay for the lease fee on 99.3 and the tower rental.

Running 50,000 watts isn't cheap, but maybe they'll still be using the same transmitter Disney had in Mesa (they were authorized to run "MDCL" mode) and just moving it to the west side, which could save some money. If they find a way to make enough revenue, they should be able to pay for the lease fee on 99.3 and the tower rental.

They'll only be running it full-power 10-14 hours per day, instead of 24/7 like The Mickey Mouse Outfit did. AFAIK, they will be using the same transmitter.

They'll only be running it full-power 10-14 hours per day, instead of 24/7 like The Mickey Mouse Outfit did. AFAIK, they will be using the same transmitter.

It's a Nautel equipped with MDCL, so it uses 20-30% less pow-pow-power than a 50kw hair blower. Dropping to 95 watts at night might keep the hamsters on the treadmill busy, but not the utility meter. Bottom line, CRC will pay lower utility bills than Disney thanks to shiitake canning the 50kw at night.

1580 is testing with a "Fanatic" loop this morning. The signal is noticeably much weaker on the east side (don't know if they're running the full 50,000 watts or MDCL at this time). 99.1 is still KFXY-LP, and I don't know how they're going to resolve that issue unless they'll let them both stay on and interfere with each other.

MDCL is great for saving on utility bills, but makes a 50kw station sound more like a 5kw. If you recall, KMIK never sounded like a flame thrower, using the same xmtr now at KQFN. Interesting that the imaging voice of Da Fanatic is none other than Jeff Munn, long associated with Sports Parking Lots 6~Twenty and 98~Seven, plus a substitute morning hostess on News 92~Three. So the Nurse and I axe...what would motivate a listener to find a high end Sports Parking Lot? Dissatisfaction with all the other Parking Lots (AM & FM) aint reason enough.

Last edited:
1580 is testing with a "Fanatic" loop this morning. The signal is noticeably much weaker on the east side (don't know if they're running the full 50,000 watts or MDCL at this time). 99.1 is still KFXY-LP, and I don't know how they're going to resolve that issue unless they'll let them both stay on and interfere with each other.

If they're not running the full 50K, they have to be close to it. Their signal into NE Mesa is a bit better than KAZG's & KFNN's, and much better than KPHX's.

Also, it looks like they're keeping the COL as Tempe, rather than changing it to Phoenix. They ID every 10 minutes or so as "KQFN Tempe" -- not even "Tempe/Phoenix."

If they're not running the full 50K, they have to be close to it. Their signal into NE Mesa is a bit better than KAZG's & KFNN's, and much better than KPHX's.

Also, it looks like they're keeping the COL as Tempe, rather than changing it to Phoenix. They ID every 10 minutes or so as "KQFN Tempe" -- not even "Tempe/Phoenix."

The downgrade from Class B to Class D did not include moving the COL to Phoenix. It was unnecessary as Class D's like KQFN only have to cover their COL's during the day, but not night. Sister station KFNN is licensed to Mesa, with xmttr in N Phoenix and a signal that misses Mesa at night.

The Tempe ID may be intentional as that city is so associated with ASU which is so associated with sports fanatics.

Last edited:
The downgrade from Class B to Class D did not include moving the COL to Phoenix. It was unnecessary as Class D's like KQFN only have to cover their COL's during the day, but not night. Sister station KFNN is licensed to Mesa, with xmttr in N Phoenix and a signal that misses Mesa at night.

I'm not sure what the exact rule is, but I don't think KFNN can be licensed to Phoenix per the FCC. AFAIK, stations must be separated by at least 40 kHz to be "officially" licensed to the same city, despite the 1510 and 1540 towers being over 20 miles apart, and have no spacing issues between them.

This must be a US & Canadian "thing." Latin American AM stations are spaced quite a bit closer -- 20 kHz in some cases, but IIRC, it's 30 kHz in Mexico.

This must be a US & Canadian "thing." Latin American AM stations are spaced quite a bit closer -- 20 kHz in some cases, but IIRC, it's 30 kHz in Mexico.

Sounds about right, but if you'd like to knock on the door of the Old Gringo's Hut, we're sure he'd splain it in 2,000 words or more.

There are a couple of less than 30khz stations in the Valley - KBSZ 12~Sixty in Apache Junction, KXEG 12~Eighty in Phoenix, KIKO 13~Forty in AJ, and KPXQ in 13~Sixty in Glendale. Guess the owners of the Phoenix and Glendale stations didn't object to the interlopers from Apache Junction, and the FCC didn't have a problem with this arrangement. The Nurse and I wish there was 50khz spacing, just to reduce the number of useless stations on Ancient Modulation.

It varies by country and in some countries by power level. Colombia, for example, has only high-power stations below 1050 AM, medium power to 1250 and local service to 1600. The spacing is different for each class... 40 kHz for high power, down to 20 kHz for the 1 kw stations at the top of the dial.

This probably does not work so well in the US, where stations of all classes are next to each other on the dial.

Sounds about right, but if you'd like to knock on the door of the Old Gringo's Hut, we're sure he'd splain it in 2,000 words or more.

Nah, that's only a 60 word subject. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom