• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

New Sports Parking Lot

Now we know what CRC is doing with 1580, and that is sports talk. Taking a gamble with a lot of local programs (much of it coming from 1060) and syndicated shows like Jim Rome.

http//www.1580thefanatic.com

Now we know what CRC is doing with 1580, and that is sports talk. Taking a gamble with a lot of local programs (much of it coming from 1060) and syndicated shows like Jim Rome.

That link doesn't work. Try leaving off the "http:" www.1580thefanatic.com

In any case, why would Roc and Manuch leave KDUS (and they're still shown on the 1060 website) for an unknown quantity that has been out of mainstream radio for 20 years? Cheaper fees? I can see why Rome would want to be there, since he was invisible on KPHX after owning this market when he was on KGME.

But with no teams on board whatsoever, it'll be hard to make a go of it. I don't know how long the Coyotes' deal with TMISU is, but they're definitely the 5th banana in that pecking order, other than Burns & Gambo's weekly interview with Shane Doan. Maybe CRC should make some overtures to them, especially now that they're leaving Glendale.

BTW, they're inaudible in east Mesa at night. 1580 barely makes it this far under their nighttime power, 99.1 is Classic Country on Usery Mountain, and 99.3 on Shaw Butte doesn't make it out here.

CRC is well versed in making money without ratings as evidenced by 15~Ten's Money Radio format. There'll definitely be synergies between the two stations that Mother Hubbard just can't duplicate. 15~Eighty's 50kw day signal aint too shabby, but it does drop to 95 watts at night. Remember the station was downgraded from Class B to Class D, so it doesn't even have to cover its COL (Tempe) at night. What Nurse Jeff and I found interesting about The Fanatic's web page is the two translators, of which 99~Three is currently being used by 15~Ten and the other came with the 15~Eighty purchase. Whether an Ancient Modulation station can use two translators simultaneously for the same station is way beyond our pay grade. The other interesting morsel of meaningless is the fine print at the bottom that states "The Fanatic" web page is copyrighted to Gow Communications - owners of Sports Parking Lot 15~Sixty in Houston. YIKES!

Last edited:
CRC is well versed in making money without ratings as evidenced by 15~Ten's Money Radio format. There'll definitely be synergies between the two stations that Mother Hubbard just can't duplicate. 15~Eighty's 50kw day signal aint too shabby, but it does drop to 95 watts at night. Remember the station was downgraded from Class B to Class D, so it doesn't even have to cover its COL (Tempe) at night. What Nurse Jeff and I found interesting about The Fanatic's web page is the two translators, of which 99~Three is currently being used by 15~Ten and the other came with the 15~Eighty purchase. Whether an Ancient Modulation station can use two translators simultaneously for the same station is way beyond our pay grade. The other interesting morsel of meaningless is the fine print at the bottom that states "The Fanatic" web page is copyrighted to Gow Communications - owners of Sports Parking Lot 15~Sixty in Houston. YIKES!

KFNN might be moving its translator service to 105.3 (look up K201CQ).

What Nurse Jeff and I found interesting about The Fanatic's web page is the two translators, of which 99~Three is currently being used by 15~Ten and the other came with the 15~Eighty purchase. Whether an Ancient Modulation station can use two translators simultaneously for the same station is way beyond our pay grade.

The FCC database shows a CP for K256CY, a 99.1 translator licensed to Tempe (on South Mountain?) running 60 watts with a directional antenna beaming mostly west. Shouldn't interfere with KFXY-LP in NE Mesa, but since it looks like it'll cover mostly Laveen, Avondale, Goodyear, Buckeye, and all jackrabbits & media huts in between, what's the point? It's not like the SW Valley is the next Snobsdale.

http://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws.exe/prod/cdbs/pubacc/prod/eng_fm.pl?Facility_id=156059

The FCC database shows a CP for K256CY, a 99.1 translator licensed to Tempe (on South Mountain?) running 60 watts with a directional antenna beaming mostly west. Shouldn't interfere with KFXY-LP in NE Mesa, but since it looks like it'll cover mostly Laveen, Avondale, Goodyear, Buckeye, and all jackrabbits & media huts in between, what's the point? It's not like the SW Valley is the next Snobsdale.

http://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws.exe/prod/cdbs/pubacc/prod/eng_fm.pl?Facility_id=156059

I thought this translator was located in Fountain Hills, on the same tower as KHOT?

Another thing, is sports talk still a long term plan for Hubbard on 1060 with no FM translator and only one regularly scheduled local show during the day?

I thought this translator was located in Fountain Hills, on the same tower as KHOT?

Yep, you're right. But does a translator for an Ancient Modulation station take priority over an LPFM a few miles away that's' already on the air, and has been for a couple of years now?

Another thing, is sports talk still a long term plan for Hubbard on 1060 with no FM translator and only one regularly scheduled local show during the day?

I would guess it is. North of Elliot Rd. and west of Gilbert Rd. or thereabouts, KDUS has decent coverage with its 500 watts at night. South of Elliot, however, KNX overrides it. Besides, what else would Mother Hubbard do with it?

Yep, you're right. But does a translator for an Ancient Modulation station take priority over an LPFM a few miles away that's' already on the air, and has been for a couple of years now?

From what I've read, translators are a higher priority service than LPFM.

I would guess it is. North of Elliot Rd. and west of Gilbert Rd. or thereabouts, KDUS has decent coverage with its 500 watts at night. South of Elliot, however, KNX overrides it. Besides, what else would Mother Hubbard do with it?

Hubbard does dollar-a-holler in Seattle and brokers out a D.C. AM, so something like that may be something that would bring in more revenue than NBC Sports Radio, if 1580 decides to take the Cowboys package away from them.

BTW, as of now, they are not on the air. The FCC still shows KHEP as being "licensed and silent."

BTW, as of now, they are not on the air. The FCC still shows KHEP as being "licensed and silent."

The 99.1 translator isn't coming in here, either, and 99.3 is still relaying KFNN. KFXY really puts a crimp on what the new 99.1 translator will be able to do signal-wise.

The 99.1 translator isn't coming in here, either, and 99.3 is still relaying KFNN. KFXY really puts a crimp on what the new 99.1 translator will be able to do signal-wise.

The only way KFXY and KHEP could co-exist on 99.1 is for KFXY to go highly directional to the south, toward east Mesa and AJ, with a deep null to the northwest.

Sports Parking Lot 10~Sixty may go the way of pink underwear & green bologna sandwiches. The Nurse and I wonder if Mother Hubbard will spend the bucks to go HD on 97~Nine and 100~Seven? What they've cobbled together for KAZG (14~Forty, 93~Three HD~Two and 92~Seven) works pretty well.

I will chime in here with my two cents worth. While I like seeing another outlet for live and local sports talk in the valley (the lineup looks pretty impressive and appears that it may even carry just as much local hosts as KMVP-FM / Arizona Sports 98.7 FM), I have to wonder if this market has reached it's tipping point when it comes to sports talk stations. With 1580 and it's two translators on FM, that will make 8, yes 8, full-time AM and FM signals with sports talk in the valley (9 if you include CBS Sports Radio on 101.5 HD-2). To me, that is way too much. I think the odd-man out will be KDUS 1060 AM (NBC Sports Radio) because they won't be able to compete with the programming and live sports coverage of KGME (Fox Sports Radio, Westwood One, NFL and University of Arizona), 1580 (CBS Sports Radio / SB Nation Radio) and KMVP-FM / KMVP-AM / KTAR-AM (ESPN Radio / Cardinals / Diamondbacks / Suns / Coyotes / ASU). One of them is going to have to go.

Also, as an ancillary point to 1580 the Fanatic coming on the air, I'm not a big fan of one station taking up three signals in the valley (one on AM and two on FM). It's hard to believe, but I feel like there used to be more variety on the radio in the valley before every station under the sun decided to use an FM translator. What's worse, the stations that actually have come along recently to provide variety and different musical genres to the valley (LPFM's like KFXY 99.1 and KWSS 93.9) are being squeezed off the airwaves by pointless translators. Driving around town from the East Valley (Gilbert) to the West Valley (Glendale) every day for work, I'm able to scan the dial and sample all these translators. My observation is that all these translators actually seem to have worse reception in Phoenix than stations blasting from Tucson (90.5, 92.9) and Prescott (95.9 and 102.1). The only translator that comes in well throughout most of the valley is the Lumberyard's translator at 92.7 FM and the new translator for Power 98.3 on 101.9 FM. I would rather go back to how things were ten or fifteen years ago with less interference on the FM dial and, shockingly, frequencies that actually had dead air so as not to interfere with co-adjacent signals!

I wish 1580 the best of luck. I'll give it a listen when it comes on the air. Too bad they will not still be broadcasting from Mesa with the highly directional 50,000 watts at night that allowed me to listen to a station from Phoenix coming in loud and clear all the way in San Diego and, believe it or not, Australia, but if you were listening up in north Scottsdale, you were out of luck lol. 1580 KMIK-AM will be missed!

I will chime in here with my two cents worth. While I like seeing another outlet for live and local sports talk in the valley (the lineup looks pretty impressive and appears that it may even carry just as much local hosts as KMVP-FM / Arizona Sports 98.7 FM), I have to wonder if this market has reached it's tipping point when it comes to sports talk stations. With 1580 and it's two translators on FM, that will make 8, yes 8, full-time AM and FM signals with sports talk in the valley (9 if you include CBS Sports Radio on 101.5 HD-2). To me, that is way too much. I think the odd-man out will be KDUS 1060 AM (NBC Sports Radio) because they won't be able to compete with the programming and live sports coverage of KGME (Fox Sports Radio, Westwood One, NFL and University of Arizona), 1580 (CBS Sports Radio / SB Nation Radio) and KMVP-FM / KMVP-AM / KTAR-AM (ESPN Radio / Cardinals / Diamondbacks / Suns / Coyotes / ASU). One of them is going to have to go.

Also, as an ancillary point to 1580 the Fanatic coming on the air, I'm not a big fan of one station taking up three signals in the valley (one on AM and two on FM). It's hard to believe, but I feel like there used to be more variety on the radio in the valley before every station under the sun decided to use an FM translator. What's worse, the stations that actually have come along recently to provide variety and different musical genres to the valley (LPFM's like KFXY 99.1 and KWSS 93.9) are being squeezed off the airwaves by pointless translators. Driving around town from the East Valley (Gilbert) to the West Valley (Glendale) every day for work, I'm able to scan the dial and sample all these translators. My observation is that all these translators actually seem to have worse reception in Phoenix than stations blasting from Tucson (90.5, 92.9) and Prescott (95.9 and 102.1). The only translator that comes in well throughout most of the valley is the Lumberyard's translator at 92.7 FM and the new translator for Power 98.3 on 101.9 FM. I would rather go back to how things were ten or fifteen years ago with less interference on the FM dial and, shockingly, frequencies that actually had dead air so as not to interfere with co-adjacent signals!

I think the real loser is KPHX, which had been a Frankenstein of CBSSR and progressive talk. Seriously, that was the format. Made no sense.

I also agree on the fact that there are too many FM translators. My personal favorite case of redundancy where I am is K235CB versus KOAI. The signals are the same quality here. A translator was not needed at all! (The same could not be said of KKFR, however.)

Between the religious broadcasting clutter (especially EMF's stations which ironically multiply by rabbits), translator congestion and the like...no wonder I like Mexican broadcasting where these things are generally prohibited!

I wish 1580 the best of luck. I'll give it a listen when it comes on the air. Too bad they will not still be broadcasting from Mesa with the highly directional 50,000 watts at night that allowed me to listen to a station from Phoenix coming in loud and clear all the way in San Diego and, believe it or not, Australia, but if you were listening up in north Scottsdale, you were out of luck lol. 1580 KMIK-AM will be missed!

I don't see how they'll be successful (1) without any games to air, and (2) no signal into the SE valley at night, on AM or FM. The 99.3 signal covers most of the city, and 99.1 is supposed to cover north Snobsdale. And if they think that Jim Rome will return to his former KGME glory, well, this is 2017, not 1997. His brand of useless smack is long out of date.

I don't see how they'll be successful (1) without any games to air, and (2) no signal into the SE valley at night, on AM or FM. The 99.3 signal covers most of the city, and 99.1 is supposed to cover north Snobsdale. And if they think that Jim Rome will return to his former KGME glory, well, this is 2017, not 1997. His brand of useless smack is long out of date.

Rack it.
99.3 covers enough people to make them some money, especially if the hosts are buying the time. And if they're following the KFNN model of operation, that's probably part of the plan.

Prediction: some out of state college with a large alumni base will have their games magically appear on the station, paid for by the school's alumni club. David Gow will teach them that trick. Every booster who bought an ad from the alumni club will be listening to hear their spots, and very few others. it doesn't matter because the whole thing was paid to begin with.

Sports Parking Lot 10~Sixty may go the way of pink underwear & green bologna sandwiches.

You know that they're not paying cash for NBC Sports Radio and it's just there to keep the needles moving when something brokered isn't there. I see a future of Hindi hits mixed with colon blow infos and people who want to live out their fantasy of hosting a talk show with "NBC" sports filling the gaps at the big ten sixty. Bring your cash to the Momplex and you too could be a star!

According to Tom Taylor's newsletter, The Fanatic 15~Eighty is scheduled to launch on 2/13 with new calls of KQFN. The translator at 99~Three will dump KFNN and go with The Fanatic, as well as a new translator at 99~One. Meanwhile, co-owned KFNN 15~Ten gets a new translator @ 105~Three. That signal is pretty directional and hits No Scottsdale and Fountain Hills http://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/patg?id=K201CQ-FX&s=C Nurse Jeff can't find any coverage map of 99~One, which is being moved from Nogales, but it's pretty obvious why CRC wants 99~Three for The Fanatic http://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/patg?id=K257CD-FX

What makes this Sports Parking Lot different than all others on Ancient Modulation, are the two translator signals on FM. We remain more confused than ever trying to figure out how an operator of a Class D station (both KFNN & KFQN) can have more than one translator per station.

Prediction: some out of state college with a large alumni base will have their games magically appear on the station, paid for by the school's alumni club. David Gow will teach them that trick. Every booster who bought an ad from the alumni club will be listening to hear their spots, and very few others. it doesn't matter because the whole thing was paid to begin with.

KDUS, and KCKY before them IIRC, did this for Nebraska football. That ended a few years ago, probably because all their games air on one of the ESPN channels or BTN, now that they're in the Big Ten.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom