• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

New Sports Parking Lot

The same week Jeffry O steps aside to focus his energy on building The Fanatic, iHeart's axe falls and Mike Jurecki is let go from 910. Coincidence? We'll see where MJ lands soon.

The same week Jeffry O steps aside to focus his energy on building The Fanatic, iHeart's axe falls and Mike Jurecki is let go from 910. Coincidence? We'll see where MJ lands soon.

Jurecki's gone? He was the only local reason to even bother with KGME anymore. If it weren't for live games from Westwood One, I wouldn't waste a preset on them.

Jurecki's gone? He was the only local reason to even bother with KGME anymore. If it weren't for live games from Westwood One, I wouldn't waste a preset on them.

I ♥ Debt is tightening the belt once again, as a number of people (talent & mgmt) have been shown the door across the fruited plain. Locally, advantage The Fanatic.

I ♥ Debt is tightening the belt once again, as a number of people (talent & mgmt) have been shown the door across the fruited plain. Locally, advantage The Fanatic.

Now that K-Ray is the new play by play voice of the Suns (which means more road travel), will that make room for Jurecki and Bauer in the morning?

Kwiffen (KQFN) has once again amended their request for an increase in nighttime pow-pow-power. They were granted 95 watts non-D as a Class D. Then they applied for 700 watts non-D as a Class B. Now they have backed down the request (and juice) to 295 watts, but retain the Class B designation. Before the move to the west side of Phoenix, 15~Eighty operated at 50kw DA-N (Class B) from west Mesa. Kwiffen retains its 50kw ND day power.

I've noticed some recent changes over at The Fanatic this past week. It seems the translator on 99.5 FM was short-lived as it shut down earlier this week and has not come back on the air. What I have noticed, though, is that the Fanatic on 99.3 FM CAN be heard in the East Valley now with better coverage in Mesa, Tempe and Gilbert. Before, 99.3 cut-out anywhere east of the Loop 101 (and was spotty at best in Tempe east of the I-10). From what I can gather, KQFN 1580 AM switched up the 99.5 translator that was broadcasting out of Fountains Hills with 250 watts and have moved it to 99.3 FM with a whooping 7 watts of pow-pow-power. The latest FCC updates seem to be from June 8th, 2017. So there are now TWO translators for the Fanatic on 99.3, one being K257CD-FM from Phoenix with 250 watts and the other being K258DH-FM, broadcasting out of Fountain Hills with 7 watts of power.

Meanwhile, there have been no changes to the KQFN 1580 AM transmitter which means it is still only broadcasting during the day with reduced power. Is it actually worth the money to improve the transmitting power for an Ancient Modulation station when you already have an FM translator?

Meanwhile, there have been no changes to the KQFN 1580 AM transmitter which means it is still only broadcasting during the day with reduced power. Is it actually worth the money to improve the transmitting power for an Ancient Modulation station when you already have an FM translator?

Point well made, Jorge de ASU. The temporary 10kw they're running right now is more than sufficient to cover the metro during the day. Going back to 50kw will run up the power bill (even though they have MDCL) and not get them any more listeners. The Nurse and I think Ron Cohen has a thing about 50kw stations, but at 15~Eighty that really doesn't count. Before October comes, Kwiffen needs to get nighttime service. If they stuck with the 95 watts that was approved, they'd be there now. Requesting 700 watts, then amending down to 295 watts is the jerking of the circular kind. And yes, having an FM translator with urban coverage is a big plus.

I've noticed some recent changes over at The Fanatic this past week. It seems the translator on 99.5 FM was short-lived as it shut down earlier this week and has not come back on the air. What I have noticed, though, is that the Fanatic on 99.3 FM CAN be heard in the East Valley now with better coverage in Mesa, Tempe and Gilbert. Before, 99.3 cut-out anywhere east of the Loop 101 (and was spotty at best in Tempe east of the I-10). From what I can gather, KQFN 1580 AM switched up the 99.5 translator that was broadcasting out of Fountains Hills with 250 watts and have moved it to 99.3 FM with a whooping 7 watts of pow-pow-power. The latest FCC updates seem to be from June 8th, 2017. So there are now TWO translators for the Fanatic on 99.3, one being K257CD-FM from Phoenix with 250 watts and the other being K258DH-FM, broadcasting out of Fountain Hills with 7 watts of power.

This is a better setup than 99.5, which was constantly being pummeled by KIIM. There are still a few spots where the two translators mix in and cause interference, and also the threat of Will Kemp complaining about it interfering with his Payson station, especially that his intentions for that station have always been to make it a Phoenix rimshot.

Juercki is now a co-host at KMVP.

I suspect they couldn't afford him right now. They did get the consolation prize from the gutting of 910, which is the Westwood One NFL package.

The Fanatic translator on 99.3 FM, K257GI-FM, broadcasting from Fountain Hills and serving the East Valley was very short-lived and is currently off the air... again. It seems like the owners of 1580 can not win with an East Valley translator as 99.5 was too weak to fight off the power of KIIM-FM from Tucson and 99.3 was interfering with KRWV-LPFM from Gold Canyon.

So where does this leave the Fanatic with getting their translator on the air? Covering the East Valley is very important obviously so I wonder where their translator will end up? I would say 101.9 FM is a good clear frequency for K257GI-FM after it was vacated by Power 98.3 for interfering with KQSS-FM out of Globe. 101.9 FM seems to be the only logical remaining choice because it is the only clear FM frequency left in the valley without any interference. Just don’t have the translator broadcasting like a full power South Mountain FM station, something that Power 98.3 appeared to be doing with their 101.9 translator before they vacated the frequency for 96.1 FM.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom