• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Comcast Sports Net to Live Stream MLB – But Not For Cord-Cutters

https://tvanswerman.com/2017/01/20/csn-to-live-stream-mlb-in-2017-but-not-for-cord-cutters/

NBC Sports has announced its Comcast regional sports networks will live stream Major League Baseball games in-market to mobiles, computers and tablets and connected TVs, beginning with the 2017 season.

That means, for instance, a Chicago resident could watch his Cubs or White Sox online on an iPad, smart phone or laptop whether he’s home or away from home.

Amazon: See the latest big-screen TVs.

However, the NBC/MLB streaming deal, which covers 5 MLB teams (White Sox, Cubs, Giants, A’s and Phillies), does nothing to help people who are seeking to eliminate their cable or satellite service because a pay TV subscription will be required to stream the in-market games.

The viewer will have to type in his or her pay TV user name and password in the NBC Sports app or the Comcast-NBC web site where the games will be shown.

Amazon: Check out the top streaming Blu-ray players.

The ‘authentication’ process further solidifies pay TV’s near-stranglehold on live sports programming, which many people view as a crucial part of their viewing schedule. Besides NFL games, most of which can be viewed via off-air antennas, most live pro and college sports can only be viewed if you have a pay TV subscription.

MLB goes even further in strengthening the regional sports channel by not allowing the in-market games to be streamed on the MLB.TV pay package. You have to have a pay TV subscription to your local Comcast regional sports network.

Amazon: See the top-selling streaming players.

Besides the slap at the concept of cord-cutting, the new deal will be welcomed by pay TV baseball fans of the five teams who have longed to watch their favorites while on the go.

The 15 Fox regional sports networks made a similar in-market streaming deal with Major League Baseball prior to the 2016 season. With the addition of CSN, 20 MLB teams will now be available in-market via streaming — with that pay TV subscription.

– Phillip Swann

However cord cutters can buy a streaming package direct from MLB that includes all teams, not just the five mentioned above, and no cable subscription is required.

However cord cutters can buy a streaming package direct from MLB that includes all teams, not just the five mentioned above, and no cable subscription is required.

But in-market games aren't available live, and MLB interprets "home markets" so broadly that people often find themselves within the "home" territories of three or even four teams. I can't watch Boston or either New York team live via MLB.TV. That said, at about $100 a year, it's a bargain compared to Extra Innings, and I don't need to have a cable subscription to watch. Since I work nights, I catch the Red Sox on replay, anyway.

I'm kind of confused about the original post. It reads "MLB goes even further in strengthening the regional sports channel by not allowing the in-market games to be streamed on the MLB.TV pay package. You have to have a pay TV subscription to your local Comcast regional sports network." Well, the in-market games were never streamed LIVE on MLB.TV. Does this mean that unfortunate fans of the five teams affected won't even be able to watch their teams on a delayed basis via MLB.TV?

Last edited:
But in-market games aren't available live, and MLB interprets "home markets" so broadly that people often find themselves within the "home" territories of three or even four teams. I can't watch Boston or either New York team live via MLB.TV. That said, at about $100 a year, it's a bargain compared to Extra Innings, and I don't need to have a cable subscription to watch. Since I work nights, I catch the Red Sox on replay, anyway.

I'm kind of confused about the original post. It reads "MLB goes even further in strengthening the regional sports channel by not allowing the in-market games to be streamed on the MLB.TV pay package. You have to have a pay TV subscription to your local Comcast regional sports network." Well, the in-market games were never streamed LIVE on MLB.TV. Does this mean that unfortunate fans of the five teams affected won't even be able to watch their teams on a delayed basis via MLB.TV?

All the games are archived so you can watch the blacked out games about 90 minutes after they are over. You just can't watch the in market games live. The MLB blackout rules don't make any sense. I think I read someplace that if you live in Las Vegas you get blacked out of watching 6 teams. And I think it is similar in some other parts of the country. Like you I live in CT so we get blacked out of Yankees, Mets and Red Sox games. But there are ways to override the blackouts and I know they work because I have used them myself. Since Comcast dropped the YES Network last season I had to find another way to watch the Yankees. I overrode the blackouts on my MLB TV and later on purchased Sling TV to watch the Yankees. Thank goodness YES will be back on Comcast this season but it might not be in time for opening day although from what I read it should be early in the 2017 baseball season.

The MLB blackout rules don't make any sense.

They are the essence of pure logic compared to the NHL's. I used to subscribe to the NHL's online package and found that the Bruins and Rangers were considered "home" teams for me, but the Islanders and Devils were "out of market"! And the blackout stayed in place for the replays until 48 hours -- yes, two days -- after the game! I don't know if things have changed over the past two seasons, but if they haven't, I'm not even going to consider coming back to the online NHL package, at any price.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom