• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

To HDR16 or not

Hello. I do see your point and I would agree but man oh man this is not a deal breaker for me. The reception this thing gets is just crazy. I'm not a DXer for as long as some of you have been but I can tell you this thing is in car radio league. I have yet to try it away from my apartment but even in my apartment and on my balcony where I still get interference this radio has been able to pull in station I have not been able to hear until this radio came along. i can't wait to try it at my grand mother's house back in Altamonte. The real test of this thing is how well it can pull in 98.5 the wire. a bit OT, but I had my friend pick me up in Altamonte and the radio in a 2013 Hyundai Sonata had mix 100.7 from Tampa and it was somewhat drivable.

I have not done any real DX'ing in quite a while because my apartment is RF shielded and RF noisy, plus my car has a window antenna. I would mount a real antenna except it is a taxi with gobs of computer noises all across the AM band and I leave it on SiriusXM. Even for one who has become a casual terrestrial radio listener, I do appreciate the experience of tuning a hot radio capable of getting clear signals from distant stations. Lately I have gotten more into LPFM's and translators. When I replaced the original Ford radio, I could kick myself for not investing a few more $$ and getting one with an HD tuner. If I had, I would have installed a 30" vertical whip.

Hello.
The reception this thing gets is just crazy.
I can tell you this thing is in car radio league.
Hello to you, too.
Have you ever had any incarnation of the GE SupeRadio and if so, how do the two radios compare?
I know the SupeRadio AM antennæ were longer. Today's car radios do not impress me.
I go back to the days of five-button, mechanical AM-only car radios that had really nice RF skirts, that is, selective but with crisp audio.
Today's car radios seem bassy but full of adjacent channel noise.
Maybe the audio amplifiers and speakers are to blame, the stations certainly are.

My biggest issue is not being able to wake up to a favorite HD sub-channel.
That was and is the main reason I bought the radio.

Hello Ai4i. No GE super radio for me. I'm 29 BTW so I never heard of a super radio until this site. I know there are like 3 iterations of that radio. The most money I ever spent was on the CC2e and then hdr16. I never really looked for a superradio because I was not aware of which version to get. I for one am happy with my current fleet of radios. For anyone keeping score at home, that is the hdr16, CC EP, the Sony sfr59 walkman, the pr-d9 for weather and the DT160.

Someone actually sold or sells a modified version of the final release of the SR with both 67 and 92 KHz SCA boards, but I think SCA's will soon be available, "Only on The History Channel".

All I know is the summer tropo should be fun this year with this radio. :) I have not DXed in summer tropo in years and I miss it. I'll never forget my first tropo experience back in 06. I was amazed when I had South Carolina and other states blasting in out of nowhere.

I have not DXed in summer tropo in years and I miss it.
I'll never forget my first tropo experience back in 06.
Just think, what if...
You lived in or near Japan and could speak Japanese where the FM band goes down to 76 MHz?
Or the former Warsaw Pact alliance where the OIRT FM band went from 65.8 to 74 MHz?
Or in the nineteen forties when the original American FM band went from 42 to 50 MHz?
Or the nineteen thirties when Apex FM stations were in the middle twenty and thirty MHz ranges.

Last edited:
Just think, what if...
You lived in or near Japan and could speak Japanese where the FM band goes down to 76 MHz?
Or the former Warsaw Pact alliance where the OIRT FM band went from 65.8 to 74 MHz?
Or in the nineteen forties when the original American FM band went from 42 to 50 MHz?
Or the nineteen thirties when Apex FM stations were in the middle twenty and thirty MHz ranges.

I've sometimes wondered if anyone in the US has received OIRT FM broadcasts. Six meters sometimes goes worldwide, and it's only 15 MHz lower. I wonder if any of the Eastern Bloc FMers ever skipped over the pond.

Two of my 5 FM's are running analog SCA's. People will still pay good money for their use, and decent receivers are available.
Locally one carries Russian, and the other is Punjabi.

df

Someone actually sold or sells a modified version of the final release of the SR with both 67 and 92 KHz SCA boards, but I think SCA's will soon be available, "Only on The History Channel".

Two of my 5 FM's are running analog SCA's...one carries Russian, and the other is Punjabi.
You must have them in a pretty decent sized market.
I think a main use for them might still be Radio Reader Services on non-comms.

How would you compare the differences in performance between the injection frequencies?
People have told me that 67 KHz is cleaner, but a programmable receiver I had always recovered better audio on 92 KHz,
certainly with much, much less main channel splatter on every station I ever checked.
If they both have the same 10% injection, which will go farther with less signal strength?

Well guys, I finally got this baby out in the open and let me tell you all what!!!!! I had both 1130 and 1230 from the lakeland area coming like a local. same with 540 and 580 from Orlando. I also had 102.9 from lakeland coming in as well. I got 98.3's HD2 and hd3 here in Brandon. Yes, this radio is a winner for sure. You get this sucker away from an interference packed apartment and man oh man does this thing really shine.

Yes, the HDR 16 is a great dx'ing radio, once you get away from the man made electrical interference; I had to go outside as well to really dx with it. Now I'm wondering if and when (if ever) WMNF is going to return to their HD2 and HD3, not even getting RDS on them, just the stereo signal on 88.5.1; WJUF Inverness has been the same for the past 3 weeks; while their promos indicate that are broadcasting in HD.....they haven't been.

I do wish the HDR-16 had a way to connect an external wire or antenna for the FM; other than that, it is a near perfect radio with great sound.

Yes, this radio is a winner for sure...oh man does this thing really shine.
But, do you like it...LOL
Sounds like it has great hardware but I would say, less than perfect software.
I believe you had mentioned that you are visually challenged and I wonder if you ever got to sample an Insignia Narrator, now marketed as the "Sparc".
The Narrator repeats everything you do to it verbally plus it has bigger speakers for better base and loudness,
but it is not a convenient-to-carry portable, plus the AM section comes with an antenna that consists of a few turns of cheap wire, but you can connect a long-wire.
It comes with a whip for FM which screws onto a female F connector, the standard plug for TV and FM systems.
I wish I still had that radio, I liked it better than the "16", but I gave it to a radio enthusiast who needed the verbal feedback.

I'm still enjoying my HD 16. I wish the battery indicator and signal strength were on the screen at the same time like other Sangeans. I was in Philly today at the airport waiting for my flight to Fort Lauderdale and enjoying the HD subchannels of WOGL WMGK and WISX 70s music,real oldies 50s 60s and Smooth Jazz. Now in South Florida I'm switching between WHQT a d WLYF subchannels Classic Soul and a true lite station ..Manilow Diamond Carpenters. It's nice when the main signals use their sub channels for formats you don't find on the regular stations.....and you can preset the five direct buttons to the subchannel and it will retrieve it.

I just noticed that my radio is starting up on the same station each time I manually power it up, one that I never listen to. Maybe that is because they transmit emergency alerts or time info or both. When I switch bands, it takes four seconds for the receiver to engage, even on analogue stations. Somebody, tell me that I am wrong or why these things are happening. Maybe I should disable time synch and/or emergency alerts.

I had both 1130 and 1230 from the lakeland area coming like a local.
same with 540 and 580 from Orlando.
I have this one question for austingrace.
The only AM-HD station I can receive in Miami is the Snail on 1260.
Disney retained the HD encoder when they sold Miami's 990.
What AM-HD station(s) can you receive up in central Florida?
Does Orlando's 990, another former Disney outlet, still transmit in HD?

Last edited:
Hello. I have not made it up to the Orlando area yet since I have owned this radio. I personally have not received any AM HD stations. None here in the Tampa area transmit in HD. I don't think any in Orlando do either. i don't hear any iboc hash whenever I'm up there. I think 990 was the only one that did HD in Orlando if memory serves correct. I know both 620 and 970 did at one point but I think they have had their HD off since at least 2014 or 2015 if I'm right.

Thanks, the snail does not have an FM station, whereas the stations you mentioned do,
and in that case they would be much more likely to put the AM on an FM digital subchannel.

Are you old enough to remember AM stereo and did you have receivers for it?
I had a Sony SRF-1 walkman, a Clarion 200E car deck, and a Radio Shack TM-152 component tuner.
The only AM stereo stations we had in Miami were the then 710 WGBS, an early Kahn-Hazletine station,
and 1210 WCMQ with a cheif engineer who pushed Motorola C-QAM with all his might.

Many years ago, the then WNBC, NYC on 660 experimented with what became Harris's AM-FM system.

Last edited:
Thanks, the snail does not have an FM station, whereas the stations you mentioned do,
and in that case they would be much more likely to put the AM on an FM digital subchannel.

Are you old enough to remember AM stereo and did you have receivers for it?
I had a Sony SRF-1 walkman, a Clarion 200E car deck, and a Radio Shack TM-152 component tuner.
The only AM stereo stations we had in Miami were the then 710 WGBS, an early Kahn-Hazletine station,
and 1210 WCMQ with a cheif engineer who pushed Motorola C-QAM with all his might.

Many years ago, the then WNBC, NYC on 660 experimented with what became Harris's AM-FM system.

I had the TM 152 and then the Sony SRF 42. When I bought the TM 152, I was living in Vancouver, BC, and it was 1986. Most of the AM I received was in Stereo, and we still had top 40 radio on AM in Canada at that point. AM had the lion's share of radio listening in every city at that time in Canada. I moved to Calgary in 1988 and only 4 AM stations that I could receive were not in stereo. The SRF 42 was a much better radio. I had that until someone stole it from me.

I had the TM 152 and then the Sony SRF 42.
I bought my first one, the multi-standard SRF-1 in Sacramento, CA (the other CA) in 1984.
My later purchases were Motorola C-QAM only.
Here are some of the reasons that the Kahn-Hazeltine independent sideband approach was a better:
Stereo range was equal to monaural range, there was no platform motion,
asymetric modulation could be used without shifting the balance,
and of course, two radios slightly off-tuned could recover some separation.
Kahn-Hazeltine chips have since been used to provide synchronous detection in worldband receivers.
I loved to freak people out when I placed the headphones on them and then switched from mono to stereo.
No one could understand how I was getting very wide stereo from AM stations.
Back at home, I could also receive stereo from a Fort Myers station on 770 that got and gets into Miami in the day.
Now business news, they were an affiliate of Transtar format 41.
I lived in Lakeland for a while, but I do not remember the AM stereo station in Bartow that I listened to.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom