• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

NBCU Shutting Down Esquire Cable Network

The Olympic Channel will be in 35 Million homes, Comcast, Charter Spectrum, AT&T/Direct TV, Verizon, Dish Network, Cable company formerly known as Cablevision that was what I found from B&C.

Not many homes. Is it going to be in the most expensive sports package on all these carriers or are individual franchises not offering the channel, at least initially?

Although Esquire has been off of Charter for almost 2 months, and it was supposed to be shut down by now, Charter is still showing a schedule for the channel. Is Esquire actually off yet, or is it still straggling on a few channels?

Higher tire for the Olympic Channel as was Universal HD which is channel 815 where I live I have the channel on Charter Spectrum. Another guy Esquire is shutting down July 1 still see it in the guide just like Chiller as well.

Although Esquire has been off of Charter for almost 2 months, and it was supposed to be shut down by now, Charter is still showing a schedule for the channel. Is Esquire actually off yet, or is it still straggling on a few channels?

Shuts off July 1st and goes online-only from there.

Shuts off July 1st and goes online-only from there.

Is that the norm for failed cable channels? I thought they all just vanished once the plug was pulled. How will the advertisers feel about having their wares pitched to an audience in the three digits most of the time?

As of yesterday Esquire shutdown couple days before they were to shutdown July 1.

I checked today on Charter and there was a slide saying Thank you for watching Esquire Network with a link to the TV website at tv.esquire.com. For now at least it's only short articles, and they have a similar app for Roku, Amazon Fire TV, and possibly other devices.

Although Charter had already dropped it, they're still showing a schedule for Chiller.

Universal HD signs off 3PM Friday last movie will be Some Kind Of Beautiful, Men's & Women's Spring Broad & Diving from 10AM to 3PM. Guessing countdown clock for the Olympic Channel and preview what you will be seeing on the channel looks like from a promo watching Track & Field yesterday that Men's & Women's Spring Broad & Diving airs at 7AM maybe that will be the first thing on The Olympic Channel.

Universal HD signs off 3PM Friday last movie will be Some Kind Of Beautiful, Men's & Women's Spring Broad & Diving from 10AM to 3PM. Guessing countdown clock for the Olympic Channel and preview what you will be seeing on the channel looks like from a promo watching Track & Field yesterday that Men's & Women's Spring Broad & Diving airs at 7AM maybe that will be the first thing on The Olympic Channel.

Are you saying that on Friday, as Universal HD, they'll be showing five hours of nothing but "Spring Broad & Diving"? (Note: It's springboard, not spring broad, and springboard IS a form of diving, so "springboard and diving" is redundant. Maybe you meant "springboard and platform diving"?) And they may air it again on Saturday as The Olympic Channel? Geez, that sounds like the same ultra-niche, who-cares sports programming, repeated for weeks, that doomed the old Universal Sports channel, which used to show the same track meet or equestrian event two or three times a day until one could recite the commentary along with the (largely intern-quality) announcers sentenced to cover those events.

Again, there is a HUGE problem with Olympic sports, or should I say two huge problems. First is that the Olympic Games themselves aren't must-see viewing anymore. Second is that, as was the case when Universal Sports was on the air, there are very few people who actually follow Olympic sports like diving. People watch them during the Games because of the grand stage the event represents and because they know they are watching the best of the best, but as they say, no one wants to know how the sausage is made, so some off-year diving event that might not even include Olympians from three years down the road is of interest only to a small clique of hardcore diving fans. Same goes for track and field, water polo, skiing, weightlifting, biathlon, team handball, short-course bicycling, rowing, amateur boxing, amateur wrestling or just about any of the sports that NBC and its cable networks fill airtime with every couple of years. The only exception is figure skating, which still gets eyeballs especially during the holiday season, but that's not sports fans who are watching it.

I just don't know why NBCU keeps flogging this moribund nag that's never going to earn its oats.

Last edited:
Esquire which was Channel 75 is now deleted after channel 74 go's to 76 but Chiller channel 125 is still there surprise it wasn't deleted either.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom