FM HD Radio May Be Finally Paying Off in this Area - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: FM HD Radio May Be Finally Paying Off in this Area

We do have some good side channels here in Philly, I guess the only fly in the ointment would be Phillies baseball on WOGL HD4 24/7/365 don't know the purpose. CBS's the Strip would be a much better fit, just flip the switch.

The HD channels are ideal for niched formats.including oldies and standards. No reason why CBS sports is carried on two subchannels.

WPLJ HD 2 was all 70s when they began their HD service, would like to see a All 70s station again here.

Is there much In HD2, 3 or 4 on Long Island? I wish the audio manufacturers would make HD Radio available in receivers that are less than the $1,000 price point.

I am aware of two HD subchannels on Long Island. WALK 97.5 HD2 is rebroadcasting sister station WWSK 94.3 The Shark. This extends the active rock station's signal considerably, and is being promoted on the air.
    Also, WPTY 105.3 HD2 is Oldies 98.1, which is being simulcast on a translator at 98.1 FM.
    HD car radios are available for around $100, but may not fit the newer autos.

But there is not much available for home stereo receivers except for the manufacturers top of the line $1000+ receivers.

HD portable radios, which cost well under $100, could be connected to a home audio system. That may not look elegant, but should work fine.

I think what has to be taken into consideration is how lousy the sound quality is once you get past hd2. Since Disney was added krock isn't even in stereo. Iheart keeps it to 1 subchannel which sounds decent.
    Last edited by mets18; 01-22-2017 at 09:54 AM. Reason: Misspelled

Quote Originally Posted by mets18 View Post
    I think what has to be taken into consideration is how lousy the sound quality is once you get past hd2. Since Disney was added krock isn't even in stereo. Iheart keeps it to 1 subchannel which sounds decent.
    It definitely sounds better using the extended mode but unless the system is designed correctly, it causes too many dropouts.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast