• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

New diginet: "Charge!"

Action shows and movies from MGM’s vast library will form the basis for a new multicast network called Charge! from MGM and Sinclair Broadcast Group, the two companies announced Tuesday, the second day of NATPE in Miami Beach.

Charge! will launch later in the first quarter of 2017. By the end of the second quarter of this year, the two companies said they expect Charge! to reach more than 50% of the country “by way of distribution deals outside of Sinclair’s footprint.”

The new 24-hour diginet will draw on more than 2,300 hours of MGM TV content and more than 2,000 movie titles. MGM and Sinclair are already partners in the sci-fi Diginet Comet.

Action shows on Charge! will include titles such as In the Heat of the Night and The Magnificent Seven, and movies such as Dances with Wolves, Platoon, Rocky and the James Bond franchise, the companies said.

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/100750/mgm-sinclair-unwrap-new-action-diginet

This seems to duplicate what GRIT is already airing (library size notwithstanding).

GRIT has Walker, Texas Ranger as too much of a percentage of its programming.

I guess the startup costs for a Diginet must be low enough to enable all of these starts. Few will be able to achieve critical mass with so many out there.

My question is, where are they going to find affiliates outside their station group? Where are they going to find the bandwidth, even on their own channels (with Comet and TBD--are they just going to do away with third-party diginet affiliations)? In many markets, I project them ending up on DTV America's network of low power stations. They're already having a hard time selling Comet to other groups, and at least that has some shows I would watch.

Charge! launched yesterday across the Sinclair stations, and a lot of viewers of Grit, Get TV, and Me-TV aren't happy with the changes (from the "visitor posts" on the Charge! Facebook page as well as the other networks). It also knocked MGM's The Works diginet off the air.

There were many supportive Visitor Posts as well. I like a lot of what Grit airs, but 3 hours of Walker every night during prime time seems excessive.

There were many supportive Visitor Posts as well. I like a lot of what Grit airs, but 3 hours of Walker every night during prime time seems excessive.

I call Grit the Walker network that is all I see in the lineup but then again not into Westerns. I wonder if Charge is WWMT's .4.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom