• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

How many progressive talk stations remain?

FTL_Ian

Leading Participant
With the continuing decline of progressive show content, how many progressive talk stations remain in the US?

KGOE-AM Eureka
WPEK-AM Ashville
WKVT-AM+FM TX Brattleboro
?

Difficult thing to assess since there is no 24/7 national service, and hasn't been for a long time. However Democracy Now has hundreds of affiliates. Same with Alan Colmes, Thom Hartmann, and others. There is SiriusXM's Progress 127. So the answer is more about specific shows than 24/7 stations. There have been no new progressive talk shows, but then again, there have been no new conservative talk shows.

Difficult thing to assess since there is no 24/7 national service, and hasn't been for a long time. However Democracy Now has hundreds of affiliates. Same with Alan Colmes, Thom Hartmann, and others. There is SiriusXM's Progress 127. So the answer is more about specific shows than 24/7 stations. There have been no new progressive talk shows, but then again, there have been no new conservative talk shows.

The number of syndicated shows is pretty thin.

Norman Goldmann
Leslie Marshall (now only one hour per day)
Stephanie Miller
Alan Colmes
Bill Press (Is he ending his show? Saw something in the trades suggesting that might be true.)
Thom Hartmann

who else?

That said, my original question was about progressive talk radio stations. The end of 2016 saw Madison's "the Mic" WXXM-FM flip to music as well as WNYY in Ithaca. Can you think of any other stations besides those in the OP that are still branded as "progressive talk"?

Right, which is why I'm asking if anyone knows what few stations remain.

There's KTNF 950 in Minneapolis/St. Paul, and WCPT 820 in Chicago.

KTRC-AM in Santa Fe is still on-air.

KBBR-AM in North Bend, OR

Pacifica's remaining stations should be considered here:

KPFA/B-Berkeley
KPFK- LA
WPFW-DC
WBAI-NYC
KPFT-Houston

With today's death of Alan Colmes, surely it becomes even harder to have a 24/7 progressive talk lineup.

Yes, Colmes untimely death certainly does create a hole. Fox News Radio doesn't have someone like him on the bench, so it remains to be seen who, if anyone, will inherit his show and if they'll try to do so with someone of a similar political viewpoint.

There was a gal on last night in Colmes' place, but I didn't catch her name (also couldn't find any info about a replacement on Fox Talk Radio's website) except she indicated that she was "progressive talk voice on Fox Radio." Don't know if she's permanent. Listening to her on WPSL, Port St. Lucie, FL, which is NOT a progressive talk station but carries many of the Fox shows.

There is a new progressive talk station in Milwaukee (licensed to Waukesha), Wisconsin: WRRD-1510, which flipped from Spanish-language sports ESPN Deportes in January.

It's going to be hard to find a liberal who's palatable to conservatives. Colmes may have been the last of his kind.

Was it Leslie Gold, by chance? That's who I had heard the other night. They've have a few different fill-ins, including Juan Williams since Alan had been out.

I've kind of wondered if they were going to try to find a fill-in for that spot, too. To everyone else's point...hard to fill his shoes. I'd only listened for a few months and I was blown away with how he took down the caller-trolls. No mercy from that guy.

About two weeks ago, WMLB in Atlanta...1690 AM....added Stephanie Miller to it's morning programming, from 10 to 12. It's not even really a talk station but apparently, the PD thought now was a good time to add the show to the lineup.

Interestingly enough, 1690 was also once 1160am and carried Air America.

Was it Leslie Gold, by chance? That's who I had heard the other night. They've have a few different fill-ins, including Juan Williams since Alan had been out.

I've kind of wondered if they were going to try to find a fill-in for that spot, too. To everyone else's point...hard to fill his shoes. I'd only listened for a few months and I was blown away with how he took down the caller-trolls. No mercy from that guy.

Leslie Gold is terrific - very entertaining but not at all progressive as far as I can tell from the times I've heard her do various fill-ins.

Leslie Gold and Lori Kramer were Two Chicks Dishing on WRKO, Boston. Gold later went to NYC and was/is "The Radio Chick"

>>The Radio Chick is the on-air name for Leslie Gold, an American radio personality whose talk show features comedian Chuck Nice and her producer, Paul "Butch" Brennan--Wikipedia
(Brennan used to work for Howie Carr)

Last edited:
KKSF-AM San Francisco has flipped to progressive.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom