• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WTIS AM-1110 St. Petersburg

WTIS is on the air today. Good signal in Sarasota. Playing Adult Contemporary Music. "The Greatest Music of All time"

I just relocated from Miami to Bradenton, so this is my new home base.
'TIS has one of the strongest day signals of any Bay area station in Sarasota.
Does anyone know when their critical hours are this month?
I thought I heard them playing a game last night,
but alas, they are a daytimer and I was hearing WBT.

I also discovered this under-height oldies LPFM in or on Longboat Key.

Times for sign on and sign off are:
November 6:45am-5:30pm
December 7:15am-5:30pm
Critical hours are Sign on until 2 hours after sign on and again 2 hours before sign off to sign off. So in November, they are 10kw from 8:45am-3:30pm.

Times for sign on and sign off are:
November 6:45am-5:30pm...in November,
they are 10kw from 8:45am-3:30pm.
Thanks, they sounded pretty solid on 5.5K when they signed off "cold(ly)" yesterday but WBT or someone else was under them.

They might have a translator because they keep killing their AM transmitter mid-song without any warning.

under-height?
Listed as something like 100 watts at 38 feet.
I would like them to get up to the full LPFM hundred feet,
but there is a first adjacency in Sarasota, one channel up.
I will contact you about the tour, and thanks.

But if they keep this oldies format,
which location would be better for W266CW,
their old one in St. Pete or their new one in Tampa?

The old St. Pete transmitter location, on Gandy Blvd., is highly directional towards Tampa.
They would probably be better off moving to a Tampa site.

1110 sold their AM site off 4th St in St. Petersburg. They are now non-directional, diplexed with WAMA in Tampa. That's why they have the reduced 5.5kw Critical Hours power. I think their translator is to be on top of the Bank of America building in downtown Tampa with 250 watts.

The thing that I find most unprofessional (besides this) is that not only do they go off the air during the middle of songs,
but this morning I was listening here, and they came on the air in the middle of a song.
A computer must be rotating their songs 24/7 while a disconnected clock turns their transmitter on and off.

"Sonny, when I was your age, we back-timed the National Anthem to the Mutual network news...heh heh heh!"

I was traveling south on U.S. 301 about 5 miles north of Ocala yesterday (around 1 pm), and on the car radio WTIS was coming in surprisingly well. Clearly a distant signal, but very consistent and relatively free of interference. I didn't get to stay with it because we were in the process of removing a CD and inserting another. But WTIS seems to be putting out a fairly strong north-south signal.

The thing that I find most unprofessional (besides this) is that not only do they go off the air during the middle of songs,
but this morning I was listening here, and they came on the air in the middle of a song.
A computer must be rotating their songs 24/7 while a disconnected clock turns their transmitter on and off.

"Sonny, when I was your age, we back-timed the National Anthem to the Mutual network news...heh heh heh!"

WTIS was recently sold, so it is possible that the old owner didn't transfer the web domain to the new owners, or shut the site down.

Looks like WTIS is making a little progress. Their ID now says they are on both 1110 and 101.1, and the translator is on the air. The signal is okay. Pretty much a Metro Tampa signal. Gets a lot of interference outside the 60dBu service contour, especially to the east, as they have WJRR on the Co-Channel. The audio quality isn't to bad for a small operation, but needs some work. They also finally got rid of the old website as well, but not much improvement as it says "Coming Soon".

...and the translator is on the air. The signal is okay. Pretty much a Metro Tampa signal.
Do you think it has moved from St. Pete to Tampa yet?
W266CW's coverage looks slightly larger than,
and a tad west of, but very similar to W280DW's.
I am in the southern shadow of Bradenton's
Radio Unidos (WUDN-LP),
so I will have to do with the AM.

According to the FCC, WTIS is operating from their new site in Tampa. 10kW day, 5.5kW critical hours. Non-directional.

According to the FCC, WTIS is operating from their new site in Tampa...
I was curious about W266CW
According to R-L, W266CW is or will be almost 600 feet up,
so they should cover the Tampa side of the bay pretty well.
WUDN-LP will protect me from their signal!

Documents (at this time) show that W266CW is licensed to St. Pete.

Years ago, when I was CE for WQYK-FM, WTIS called me and asked me to get their transmitter back on the air.
It was an old CCA 10kW unit which had not been maintained for a very long time. Their backup (pre-sunrise) transmitter was a 1950's 500 watt Gates which was in even worse shape.
After taking some parts from my WQYK-FM stash, I did get the CCA back on the air.
As I recall, I was never paid for the job and the parts were never returned.
that was the last time I ever agreed to help them out.

I was curious about W266CW
According to R-L, W266CW is or will be almost 600 feet up,
so they should cover the Tampa side of the bay pretty well.
WUDN-LP will protect me from their signal!

Sounds to me like they are emitting from downtown. I heard them all the way to Thonotossassa crystal clear, and I'm sure if they were at the Gandy site, they wouldn't get that far.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom