WTIS AM-1110 St. Petersburg - Page 6
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: WTIS AM-1110 St. Petersburg

Quote Originally Posted by Yabadabado1 View Post
    And many decades ago I only lived 5 miles from the site. What's interesting is that if you go to radio-locator.com and click on the GPS coordinates on the first link and get the google street map link and do a drag and drop of little guy into the parking lot....it looks like someone is living in an RV just behind and off to the side of the transmitter shack. I was like "WTF?"
    It sure does. I don't know when the Google photo was taken. Perhaps the RV belonged to an employee ... perhaps the morning person ... or even the GM.
    Back in the 70's, when I was the WQYK-FM Chief Engineer, the transmitter was in the small building on the northeast corner of the main building. It was not air conditioned. I once found a scorpion on the floor of the little building. Not good at all.

I took this photo back in the hot Summer of 1977. After the equalized program lines from the studio to the transmitter were accidentally cut, I moved a couple of cart machines, a Gates mixer and a microphone to the transmitter. This is Jeff Ryan as he endured the heat and the humidity while keeping the music going.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Yabadabado1 View Post
    And many decades ago I only lived 5 miles from the site. What's interesting is that if you go to radio-locator.com and click on the GPS coordinates on the first link and get the google street map link and do a drag and drop of little guy into the parking lot....it looks like someone is living in an RV just behind and off to the side of the transmitter shack. I was like "WTF?"
    That building next to the RV in that photo is the actual studio location. The transmitter is there, but so is the rest of the station. At least until it was sold.

Quote Originally Posted by frankberry View Post

It sure does. I don't know when the Google photo was taken. Perhaps the RV belonged to an employee ... perhaps the morning person ... or even the GM.
    Back in the 70's, when I was the WQYK-FM Chief Engineer, the transmitter was in the small building on the northeast corner of the main building. It was not air conditioned. I once found a scorpion on the floor of the little building. Not good at all.

I took this photo back in the hot Summer of 1977. After the equalized program lines from the studio to the transmitter were accidentally cut, I moved a couple of cart machines, a Gates mixer and a microphone to the transmitter. This is Jeff Ryan as he endured the heat and the humidity while keeping the music going.
    It was taken April of 2011. I thought they updated their stuff every couple of years....guess not.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456