• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

The CBS NetAlert III test record

The sound quality from your record player is excellent.

There was a HUGE amount of testing by CBS back in the '70s when the NetAlert system went into effect....
At the CBS affiliate I worked for at that time....the control box was in the on-air studio.....No attempt was ever made to MUTE the internal speaker, so EVERY time a "test" was run (and there were a LOT....!!)
we had to be careful of an open mike!!
During the set-up phase of testing music was run at a pre-determined level while the tones ("chirps") were sent; tone levels were adjusted so the relay(s) in the control box would "step" reliably..
After a while...I got really sick of hearing that morbid version of "Summertime", interspersed with: "CBS Radio NetAlert Test......CBS Radio NetAlert Test......"!!:mad:
It ALWAYS bugged me when they sent Alert #15 - "NATIONAL EMERGENCY"...the station had a big red light bulb and a "beeper" that tripped when the box flashed "15".....
My nightmare was that some part-timer would forget it was a "Test" and mistakenly activate (what was then) EANS (Emergency Action Notification System)!!! (It never happened, thankfully!!:))

My nightmare was that some part-timer would forget it was a "Test" and mistakenly activate (what was then) EANS (Emergency Action Notification System)!!! (It never happened, thankfully!!:))

You mean the EBS or the EAN? If it's the EAN, that can still happen, either by request (to myself: *try to be unbiased*), by accident, or by someone who can hack the EAS systems (if that is possible).

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom