• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Longevity of syndicated shows

It has very little to do with the longevity of shows, and plenty to do with station groups opting not to buy syndicated programs for certain timeslots at all.

The Indianapolis market has many fewer hours of syndicated programming in its daytime schedule now than it did 10 years ago.
WTHR (NBC) has basically the same schedule they have had for 20 years.
WXIN (FOX) used to have 3 hours of morning news, now it has 6. It used to have no local news in the early evening, now there's 3.5 hours. And they didn't have an 11pm newscast either. Grand total of 10 hours fewer each day.
WRTV (ABC) has cut 2.5 hours of studio syndication by adding Scripps's "Right This Minute" and 4pm news and 7pm news.
I'm sure WISH had at least one fewer hour of syndication, on account of the IndyStyle program they produce locally.
WTTV's affiliation with CBS caused another net loss, because WTTV did not previously have a newsroom. WTTV airs 4.5 hours daily of news.

These 5 stations eliminated 18 hours of studio syndication daily. Much of which was trash talk, court shows, or reruns, but some of it was the kind of first run talk shows and variety shows this article discusses. I'd guess 3 or 4 hours worth.

Well, that's 3 or 4 hours of programs that don't need to be produced by the studios.

WLOS has had Wheel and Jeopardy since 1985.

In fact i think the reason that WLOS has been successful with those two shows is that they were doing 30 minutes of news at 6 followed by Peter Jennings, where as WYFF had been doing an hour. In fact the reason that WYFF stopped doing an hour of local news was because they could do 5 and 5:30 after Oprah.

WSPA tried the hour format for a while with news, but it didn't work.

WYFF lost *both* Wheel and Jeopardy because they didn't want to give up the second half hour of their newscast? WLOS has been the beneficiary ever since.

In the Scr/W-B market.

WBRE has both Wheel and Jeopardy for many years. Back in the late 80's-early 90's, WYOU had both programs running at the same 7pm hour, but they were moved to WBRE by the fall of '92 and remained at that same time slot since then. On the other hand, WYOU has ET since I believe '92 when at the same time when they were moved from WBRE in favor of Wheel/Jeopardy. Coincidentally, both WBRE and WYOU are now owned by Nexstar.

WNEP has Inside Edition on its 7:30pm since '02?, I think. However, for the 7pm slot, it used to have various game shows, before the news took the slot.

WLOS has had Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy since 1985. They also had Tic Tac Dough(with Wink Martindale) before getting WOF and Jeopardy. Lawrence Welk was on WLOS, after college football for years too.

FOX17 pretty much is local all morning other than Steve W at 10AM, only station to have 4PM news for 3 hours. Wood TV has been unchanged for many years other than adding the only 7PM newscast moving Access Hollywood to sister station WOTV 7PM and Inside Edition moving to 7:30PM. All stations have a lifestyle show with local business My West Michigan on WZZM at 9AM, The Lori Moore Show on CW7 at 4PM, FOX17 Morning Mix at 9AM, 8 West at 11AM, Miranda Where You Live at 4:30PM on both WOTV & WXSP don't ask me why they did that to me put a repeat on WXSP a few hours later.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom