• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WENN-AM Studio Location

IIRC, the old WENN studio was also located on 5th Avenue, but it was in either the 1400 block (between 14th and 15th Streets) or the 1500 block...roughly in the same area where Jim Burke Automotive has expanded. And I think it was on the same side of the street that the A.G. Gaston Hotel was located.

IIRC, the old WENN studio was also located on 5th Avenue, but it was in either the 1400 block (between 14th and 15th Streets) or the 1500 block...roughly in the same area where Jim Burke Automotive has expanded. And I think it was on the same side of the street that the A.G. Gaston Hotel was located.

Ah, that jives with some of the info I came across. There's an except of an interview with Joe Lackey on the Birmingham Black Radio Museum website (who knew we had such a thing?) discussing the bombing of the Gaston Motel on 5th Avenue. He referred to the studio as "the fish bowl" with the big windows in front, which jives with the picture in the OP. It was close enough to the motel that the windows got blown out when the bomb went off. So it couldn't have been far away.

Now that I think about it---and I'm relying strictly on my memory from 40-45 years ago---the studio may actually have been next door to the hotel. When I have some time I'll research it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom