• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

URBan filed for permanent home for WVNA and WLAY's AM signals in The Shoals

I saw today where URBan has filed to permanently relocate WVLA and WLAY's AM signals to the WLAY/WVNA-FM tower on New Cut Road up in the hills. If I remember correctly, WVNA is already up there, but on one of the towers nearby, not the short tower.

A couple of things in the application made me laugh. First, they say they were unable to find a buyer for the AMs, even though in December of 2015 the rationale for the STA was that they HAD found buyers. Guess they were ghosts. Or saw the impossibility of finding an AM site for stations that are barely on the air anymore.

Second, they still are saying they are about to lose the lease on their current licensed site. A Street View look of that shows no towers for several years… I'd say that line is probably no longer accurate!

And last but not least, in the WVNA application's paperwork for the skywave calculations, they just copy and pasted the data from the WLAY application. They only changed the 1450 to a 1590. Took me by surprise when I saw it, because the call signs and numbers are the same. WZGX is definitely not on 1590! (Come to think of it, it's not on the air at all anymore.) Hope no one at the FCC falls for those shenanigans.

It does make me wonder how often these kinds of mistakes are made, and how many get overlooked by the FCC, since their priority these days seems to be all-broadband all the time.

WZGX? Do you mean AM 1450 in Bessemer? It's on the air again..for how long, that's anybody's guess...

Oh it's back on? That's good to know. Still doing Spanish, I suppose?

Last I heard the license was deleted in 2014. It's not even listed on my website anymore.

Yes, WZGX was on the air yesterday, although the station disappears every now and then. They are still doing Spanish (Regional Mexican).

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom