WBMP FM PD to exit. - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: WBMP FM PD to exit.

Quote Originally Posted by chrocket87 View Post
    He is an unfortunate victim of cost-cutting that we're seeing all over radio.
    Not just traditional radio either. Pandora just cut 7% of its work force. Sinclair is cutting staff in TV. There are cuts at various cable channels. So things are tough all over.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA View Post
    Not just traditional radio either. Pandora just cut 7% of its work force. Sinclair is cutting staff in TV. There are cuts at various cable channels. So things are tough all over.
    Not to mention newspapers and magazines. Is there a growth sector in media, other than mostly-European-staffed "fake news" websites?

Quote Originally Posted by CTListener View Post
    Not to mention newspapers and magazines. Is there a growth sector in media
    Depends on what you call "growth." There's growth in usage, but it doesn't always translate to growth in revenue, because the users want content for free.

If the NYC dial is stale, predictable, stagnant, repetitious, urban/rhythmic leaning why doesn't somebody try some other missing, void, music format. Rock, Alternative, Underground Rock, AAA, Soft AC, Active, if it was tried before, try it again at least you won't sound like everyone else, do something different for petes sake.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsmoke View Post
    If it was tried before, try it again at least you won't sound like everyone else, do something different for petes sake.
    Who said the goal of commercial radio is to sound different?

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsmoke View Post
    If the NYC dial is stale, predictable, stagnant, repetitious, urban/rhythmic leaning why doesn't somebody try some other missing, void, music format. Rock, Alternative, Underground Rock, AAA, Soft AC, Active, if it was tried before, try it again at least you won't sound like everyone else, do something different for petes sake.
    Look at the demographics of New York City and you'll see that New York radio delivers exactly the sort of music most New Yorkers prefer. You can't force rock or AAA on that audience. It won't work. Culturally, it's a population that's been hard-wired for rhythmic for generation upon generation.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA View Post
    Depends on what you call "growth." There's growth in usage, but it doesn't always translate to growth in revenue, because the users want content for free.
    Growth in employment.

Quote Originally Posted by CTListener View Post
    Growth in employment.
    Sales.

Last time Alternative was in NYC, I believe WRXP (V2.0) was rising in share, month on month. I remember that they were running a current/recurrent based Alternative format. I believe that with the present state of the format cycle, that being a more pop leaning, Alternative may actually be a option, if someone were to take a chance.
    Radio station employee...<br />Amateur photographer...<br />Cat slave...<br />Sarcasm expert...<br />Annual USA visitor...

Quote Originally Posted by leethalweapon View Post
    Last time Alternative was in NYC, I believe WRXP (V2.0) was rising in share, month on month.
    But they peaked lower in share than AMP is getting now, and it was more of a male format than it is now. So I'd see no improvement by going Alternative.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast