• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WBMP FM PD to exit.

leethalweapon

Star Participant
http://www.allaccess.com/net-news/archive/story/161523/rick-thomas-to-exit-pd-post-at-wbmp-new-york

"When you're coming up on the end of a contract, you begin to do some soul-searching as to what the best future for both career and family might be. I'm very thankful to CBS, CHRIS OLIVERO, MARC RAYFIELD, SCOTT HERMAN and MICHAEL MARTIN for their respect and understanding. I have begun engaging in conversations and will keep you posted. The programming team here at AMP/NEW YORK is the best crew in radio and I will miss them dearly."

Is there a format flip on the way?

"92.3 WINS-FM. Give us 22 Mins We'll give you the world."

If CBS thought they could make as much money simulcasting 1010 on FM as they do with the low numbers they already get on 92.3, they'd do it in a heartbeat.

But my bet would be that they would be "Newsradio 92 and 880." WCBS always gets better ratings in all the 'burbs and, with a huge FM signal, they'd be better off.

I doubt that either WCBS or WINS will move to the FM band since CBS radio would lose a revenue stream.

CBS just switched AMP 96.5 in Philadelphia to A/C. There's certainly no room for another A/C in New York. I'm not sure CBS would kill WAMP anyway. I believe they hold their own.
Aside from what the ratings show the station is quite popular within the boroughs with their CHR rhythmic lean

CBS just switched AMP 96.5 in Philadelphia to A/C. There's certainly no room for another A/C in New York. I'm not sure CBS would kill WAMP anyway. I believe they hold their own.
Aside from what the ratings show the station is quite popular within the boroughs with their CHR rhythmic lean

CBS already owns AC formatted FRESH 102.7, so they wouldn't flip WBMP 92.3 to AC anyway.

No format flip. Contracts get non-renewed all the time, for successful and not successful stations. He is an unfortunate victim of cost-cutting that we're seeing all over radio.

He is an unfortunate victim of cost-cutting that we're seeing all over radio.

Not just traditional radio either. Pandora just cut 7% of its work force. Sinclair is cutting staff in TV. There are cuts at various cable channels. So things are tough all over.

Not just traditional radio either. Pandora just cut 7% of its work force. Sinclair is cutting staff in TV. There are cuts at various cable channels. So things are tough all over.

Not to mention newspapers and magazines. Is there a growth sector in media, other than mostly-European-staffed "fake news" websites?

Not to mention newspapers and magazines. Is there a growth sector in media

Depends on what you call "growth." There's growth in usage, but it doesn't always translate to growth in revenue, because the users want content for free.

If the NYC dial is stale, predictable, stagnant, repetitious, urban/rhythmic leaning why doesn't somebody try some other missing, void, music format. Rock, Alternative, Underground Rock, AAA, Soft AC, Active, if it was tried before, try it again at least you won't sound like everyone else, do something different for petes sake.

If the NYC dial is stale, predictable, stagnant, repetitious, urban/rhythmic leaning why doesn't somebody try some other missing, void, music format. Rock, Alternative, Underground Rock, AAA, Soft AC, Active, if it was tried before, try it again at least you won't sound like everyone else, do something different for petes sake.

Look at the demographics of New York City and you'll see that New York radio delivers exactly the sort of music most New Yorkers prefer. You can't force rock or AAA on that audience. It won't work. Culturally, it's a population that's been hard-wired for rhythmic for generation upon generation.

Last time Alternative was in NYC, I believe WRXP (V2.0) was rising in share, month on month. I remember that they were running a current/recurrent based Alternative format. I believe that with the present state of the format cycle, that being a more pop leaning, Alternative may actually be a option, if someone were to take a chance.

Last time Alternative was in NYC, I believe WRXP (V2.0) was rising in share, month on month.

But they peaked lower in share than AMP is getting now, and it was more of a male format than it is now. So I'd see no improvement by going Alternative.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom