KYW 1060 no longer broadcasting snow-day school closing numbers
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: KYW 1060 no longer broadcasting snow-day school closing numbers

KYW 1060 no longer broadcasting snow-day school closing numbers

Julius May, Philadelphia PA.

Oh no! Where am I going to hear that 551 & 599 are closed (my elementary and high school respectively)? That being said, when school is closed, the home phone rings at the same time as the cell phones and the text comes as the phones are ringing shortly after 5am. And then I listen to Preston & Steve on WMMR and do see that my childrens' schools are closed on the bottom of channel 6.

Seems like it attracted young listeners.

I aways thought that number system would have saved time over the endless droning that happened in the midwest: "St. Pia Zadora Elementary and High School, closed; West Podunk Consolidated School District, closed..." It is true that a lot of folks get those text messages, but my wife is a school bus driver and buses a lot of low income kids. Sometimes she has no phone number to reach parents and sometimes she has a more up to date number than the school system has. Payday or welfare check day isn't until the 1st (or whenever) and those pre-aid minutes are already expired...that means no text message when school is closed

Quote Originally Posted by ThePowerCow View Post
    Seems like it attracted young listeners.
    But school age listeners are of no value to radio. What was, before texting and automatic calling, attractive was the listening by parents. It meant that for perhaps several hours on days with snowfall, many parents would put KYW on instead of their favorite morning show or music station.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, RCA Broadcast News, Television Magazine, Radio Annual, Radio News, Sponsor, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, M Street Directory, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Many years ago, my Mom would listen to the local station for school closings for hours on snowy days. Not sure why. She knew the school was closed because she worked there and got a call early letting her know. Maybe it was something about continually hearing it on the radio. I'm really not sure. But those school closing/snow days bring back some happy memories.

Quote Originally Posted by gr8oldies View Post
    Payday or welfare check day isn't until the 1st (or whenever) and those pre-aid minutes are already expired...that means no text message when school is closed
    Is that really necessary?

Quote Originally Posted by Fakeem View Post
    Is that really necessary?
    Sad but true. A lot of people do not realize the extent of poverty among our youth. I am not going to start the "bad choices in life issue" or parents with "messed up values" issues, but there are a lot of kids that do without a lot of things including food during the last week of the month thru no fault of their own.

Do these parents have an AM radio in their house? If they have TV they're ok. No cable/satellite necessary. All the broadcast TV channels with news, 3, 6,10, & 29 will continue to do school closings on the bottom of the screen

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast