KYW 1060 no longer broadcasting snow-day school closing numbers - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: KYW 1060 no longer broadcasting snow-day school closing numbers

Quote Originally Posted by Miguelito View Post
    If I turned on the radio and they were droning on to churn out 10 minutes of school closing numbers--information that I, as a parent, would have already received--I would tune right out.
    I agree. There are hundreds (maybe thousands) of schools in the area, and if I happen to miss mine in the list (perhaps the dog barked), I have to sit through the entire list for them to come around to mine again. Not very efficient. It's one reason why the traffic reports aren't as complete as they could be. They focus on the main roads, the ones most people care about, and skip the side streets. But you can't do that with school closings. You skip over the small suburban schools, and listeners assume they're still open. Not a good thing.

When radio was all you had for school closings, and in the pre-internet days it made sense (I don't remember TV station crawls when I was growing up) Today, not so much but it depends on your local market.

Somewhat funny timing was The Goldbergs doing a "snow day" episode in the midst of this being discussed last week, and the radio on the show going by names (not that most of the country would have been in on the joke if they'd used numbers).

You can still hear school closings/delays on AM here in Yakima, WA! KIT-1280's morning news show will air any school delays/closings in the Yakima Valley, Ellensburg or Goldendale area. And this includes Christian schools! But no matter what, I've never heard any number codes for the school delays, probably due to the size of our market. Seattle however didn't use number codes either...
    734 AM's in the log, 537 FMs (250 from Western WA), That's a DXer!
    FM, AM and SW DXer of Yakima, WA! God Bless America!
    Last New FM Log: K243CK 96.5 Pendleton, OR (// KUMA-1290) 3/21/17
    Last New AM Log: KUKI-1400 Ukiah, CA 3/26/17

Quote Originally Posted by AbrahamJSimpson View Post
    Somewhat funny timing was The Goldbergs doing a "snow day" episode in the midst of this being discussed last week, and the radio on the show going by names (not that most of the country would have been in on the joke if they'd used numbers).
    And the show is set in the Philly burbs so, in those scenes, that radio was ostensibly tuned to KYW!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234