• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Tina Delgado is alive, alive used on XM Hits 1

[V] Musik

New Participating Member
I heard The Real Don Steele's girl utter the phrase on Hits 1, possibly on the Spyder Harrison's Show. I guess it's not trademarked.

With RKO long gone, I'm not sure how it could be trademarked!

Never was. Don took the drop with him to TenQ and KRTH. It was created in the KHJ production studio and arguably could have been argued to be KHJ/RKO's intellectual property, but nobody cared in 1977. I seriously doubt Don took the time to get any legal protection for it. If he did, then his widow, Shaune might be able to ask SiriusXM to stop...if she wanted to.

Never was. Don took the drop with him to TenQ and KRTH. It was created in the KHJ production studio and arguably could have been argued to be KHJ/RKO's intellectual property, but nobody cared in 1977. I seriously doubt Don took the time to get any legal protection for it. If he did, then his widow, Shaune might be able to ask SiriusXM to stop...if she wanted to.
Do you know if Don Steele ever played his Tina Delgado Song anywhere. These are 4 minutes of my life that I'll never get back?

Real Don Steele 'Hole In My Soul' & 'Tina Delgado Is Alive'
Cameo Records C-399 Released Jan.1966

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6gNwJmP1G0

Are you sure it was created at KHJ? I thought I heard it on an old KISN aircheck circa 1963-64.

Are you sure it was created at KHJ? I thought I heard it on an old KISN aircheck circa 1963-64.

You did. But Ron Jacobs thought it was pretty blah (having heard the KISN aircheck, he was right), and had a new version recorded at KHJ. That one has now lived for 52 years.

It's interesting what gets copywrited and what doesn't. I still remember wondering back in 1966 or 67 how Art Ferguson could get away with using his on air name - Charlie Tuna - considering it came on the heels of those animated Star Kist tuna TV ads with Charlie the Tuna. Perhaps Star Kist didn't mind.

It's interesting what gets copywrited and what doesn't. I still remember wondering back in 1966 or 67 how Art Ferguson could get away with using his on air name - Charlie Tuna - considering it came on the heels of those animated Star Kist tuna TV ads with Charlie the Tuna. Perhaps Star Kist didn't mind.

Star Kist was in a major battle with Chicken of the Sea. They probably loved the added reinforcement of Charlie's air name.

Ken Levine tells a funny story about how he was hired at K-100 as Beaver Cleaver:

The day I was slated to debut the station had all of the other jocks hyping my arrival. The PD stopped in the booth and midday guy, Eric Chase jokingly asked if I was going to have Wally and Lumpy join me my first night. The PD said, “What are you talking about?” Eric said, “Wally and Lumpy – the Beav's brother and his dufus friend.” The PD was completely confused. Eric said, “Y’know, from the TV show. From LEAVE IT TO BEAVER.” The PD’s eyes widened in horror. “There’s a TV show?!”

How the f*** could this moron not have heard of LEAVE IT TO BEAVER?

So he calls me into his office panicked. There were already promos on the air. What if we got sued? I tried to calm him down. “If we get sued,” I said, “it’s the best thing that could ever happen to us.” Now he was really perplexed. I reasoned that in the highly unlikely event we were sued this would become a big story. The local TV stations would probably cover it. K100 would get more free publicity than it could ever imagine. I would stop using Beaver Cleaver and the station could invite listeners to come up with my new name. Fortunately, owner Bill Drake thought that was brilliant and I was allowed to keep calling myself Mrs. Cleaver’s Beaver.

Star Kist was in a major battle with Chicken of the Sea. They probably loved the added reinforcement of Charlie's air name.

Ken Levine tells a funny story about how he was hired at K-100 as Beaver Cleaver:

The day I was slated to debut the station had all of the other jocks hyping my arrival. The PD stopped in the booth and midday guy, Eric Chase jokingly asked if I was going to have Wally and Lumpy join me my first night. The PD said, “What are you talking about?” Eric said, “Wally and Lumpy – the Beav's brother and his dufus friend.” The PD was completely confused. Eric said, “Y’know, from the TV show. From LEAVE IT TO BEAVER.” The PD’s eyes widened in horror. “There’s a TV show?!”

How the f*** could this moron not have heard of LEAVE IT TO BEAVER?

So he calls me into his office panicked. There were already promos on the air. What if we got sued? I tried to calm him down. “If we get sued,” I said, “it’s the best thing that could ever happen to us.” Now he was really perplexed. I reasoned that in the highly unlikely event we were sued this would become a big story. The local TV stations would probably cover it. K100 would get more free publicity than it could ever imagine. I would stop using Beaver Cleaver and the station could invite listeners to come up with my new name. Fortunately, owner Bill Drake thought that was brilliant and I was allowed to keep calling myself Mrs. Cleaver’s Beaver.

Drake must have mellowed since his days consulting for Boss Radio. I don't think he ever would have allowed "Mrs. Cleaver's Beaver" on the air in those days.

Ken tells another funny story (well, he is a writer after all) of coming into San Francisco to start his gig at 1260/KYA, which at the time (about 74) had tried an odd format they called People Power with more bells and whistles than KFWB in 1962. As I recall the story - on his way into town, he tunes in KYA and hears the extremely odd, and rather disturbing Jimmy Jet - then wonders what the hell he's gotten himself into.

Naturally, Jimmy can be found at reelradio.com:

http://reelradio.com/jeff/index.html#jjkya74

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom