• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

In A Few More Weeks

R.D.P.

Star Participant
Jesus Radio Selma and Amplify is signing on.

Stay tuned.

And yes, I have your Skillet request ready to play Mr. Bruce Carter.

Dan <><

P.S. We're now building out the radio station. Hope to be on by the end of this month.

Speaking of "online." Care to share your online strategy with us, Dan? Because, frankly, the majority of us will be unable to hear your on-air signal.

Just got the antenna.

It's a SWR brand (Service With Reliability)

Spent money to have it shipped here.

God just blessed me with most of that money in return.

As Chris Tomlin and Laura Story would say, we serve an Amazing God. (Taken from their hit song called Indescribable)

Dan <><

P.S. God's Word to me is simple. Dan I want Selma to have Jesus Radio. No one is talking me out of it.

I'm now the proud owner of the following items:

A small mixer
A mic
Some other gear the builder is getting for me (Exciter, EAS Device and Modulator) (These items are coming) (The builder is now securing them)
And A Computer for the studio

Glad God has sent these new blessings to me.

The building phase is on.

Within the next few days, Dan will officially become the owner of his first radio station ever.

Man I'm excited over this.

I'm rooting for Jesus Radio Selma to have all kinds of great success, after I turn it on.

Dan <><

P.S. Our long wait for Amplify is almost over, Mr. Bruce. Ready to get the program on the air.

Last edited:
February 4 2017, will be my official sign on date.

The builder is coming and told me I would be on by then with something.

If this does happen, it'll be the greatest miracle God has ever pulled off for Selma Alabama.

And yes Dan will be excited, stoked and leaping for joy, if it does happen.

Dan <><

Am I alone here...

Am I the only one who finds that suggestion, insulting not only to God but also to the history of Selma?

If this does happen, it'll be the greatest miracle God has ever pulled off for Selma Alabama.

And yes Dan will be excited, stoked and leaping for joy, if it does happen.

Dan <><

I am excited for your sign on! I know God has much greater things for Selma than the discord of the past. A radio station truly guided by God's will - reaching out to the youth of the city - really DOES have the potential to be a great miracle for Selma! And to heal the divide of decades ago.

Really. A radio station with a signal so small that it will barely reach the whole of Selma. A radio station playing music that at best targets just over a quarter of the cities population. A radio station that during the hours of highest listenership will be playing music that will appeal only to the upper adult demos that helped create Selma's history. A radio station programmed by a first time broadcaster who has ignored countless paragraphs of advise and in doing so shows that he's not interested in doing any work that might challenge him to walk outside of his limited comfort zone to program and promote something that might come close to achieving his claimed vision for this radio station.

Bruce, you've said it yourself. The teens and young adults are the future. They're the ones who will breach the divide in Selma. And you're far too wise to pretend that burying any music that might reach those young people in late nights and over nights will make any true and lasting impact on restoring Selma. I can appreciate your efforts to encourage Dan. But I think you also understand that sometimes it takes more than encouragement. It takes hard questions prayerfully asked and answered, along with a willingness to deny self on the part of Dan Presley. Claims that an LPFM will be the greatest miracle God has ever "pulled off" in Selma shows anything but that. Remember, this is the individual who for years called himself a "legend in the Missionary business" in his sig file.

And as for miracles? An LPFM radio station? The "greatest" ever "pulled off?" Greater than sick healed? Marriages restored? Addicts delivered? Greater than preventing the slaughter that could have happened on the Pettis bridge more than a half century ago? Anyone who would think, let alone publicly write, that a radio station is somehow God's greatest miracle holds a very narrow viewpoint and worships a very small god.

I'm sure Dan has killfile'd me ages ago. But I'll say this anyway. Like you, Bruce, I pray this radio station helps bring restoration to Dan's community. I also pray that Dan finally sees the need to get self out of the equation. That his efforts of man come to a stop. That he finally steps out of and leaves behind his comfort zone. That his programming choices are no longer about just pleasing family and friends within his sphere of influence in Selma, and no longer about proving a point -- scratch that -- no longer about avenging a personal slight from someone in his congregation.

Should that happen, then we all will see a miracle. Not God's greatest ever in Selma, but a miracle none the less.

Last edited:
And as for miracles? An LPFM radio station? The "greatest" ever "pulled off?" Greater than sick healed? Marriages restored? Addicts delivered? Greater than preventing the slaughter that could have happened on the Pettis bridge more than a half century ago? Anyone who would think, let alone publicly write, that a radio station is somehow God's greatest miracle holds a very narrow viewpoint and worships a very small god.

I'm sure Dan has killfile'd me ages ago. But I'll say this anyway. Like you, Bruce, I pray this radio station helps bring restoration to Dan's community. I also pray that Dan finally sees the need to get self out of the equation. That his efforts of man come to a stop. That he finally steps out of and leaves behind his comfort zone. That his programming choices are no longer about just pleasing family and friends within his sphere of influence in Selma, and no longer about proving a point -- scratch that -- no longer about avenging a personal slight from someone in his congregation.

Should that happen, then we all will see a miracle. Not God's greatest ever in Selma, but a miracle none the less.

I have seen just a radio show used by God to do all of the above. Pettis Bridge is half a century ago. What happened between people who are grandfathers and great grandfathers - if not passed away - was their struggle. Their problem. It has no bearing on today. It is closer to world war 1 in time than it is to the present day. The world, and Selma, have moved on. Racist attitudes have thankfully been all but eliminated.

Dan believes his vision comes from God. I have no reason or right to challenge that belief. Neither do you. Much of the advice given on here has been well intentioned, but a lot of it has also come from people with their own religious agendas. From what I have read, Dan has done due diligence in reaching out to the community and getting input as to the format of the station. I believe he will succeed. And the kids growing up in Selma, to whom events of the past are ancient history and irrelevant, will be reached. I think Dan is like me - take the best from the past and incorporate it, let the worst be forgotten lest it poison the present.

He is speaking in hyperbole about his station - that isn't a sin. A well-known politician has been speaking in hyperbole for a year and a half. I don't do it myself, not my style. It is Dan's style.

Like you, I too have very strong opinions about Christian radio.

You talk of the past. And I'll more than willingly admit, perhaps my opinions about Christian radio also belong in the past. But when someone makes the choice to contribute in a public forum, all replies, encouraging or questioning, should be expected and accepted. We base those replies on what we read, and in what time we might perhaps spend in private discussion with the contributor. I base mine on what I believe I've gleaned from what I think is reasonably extensive discussion with Dan, in public and in private, over the years.

You talk of hyperbole. I'm sorry. But I don't see Dan with the gift to apply the concept. I, instead, see a small simple man, mostly unnoticed in his community, who frankly doesn't know what questions to ask, or who to apply those questions to, in any real effort to perform due diligence. I see a man, very much a well meaning man, yet still a man who, in spite of years on this forum, really doesn't understand the depth of what is needed to operate a radio station of any size, in any market.

I see a man, who believes he has a vision, yet shows little grasp of understanding what biblically might be needed to determine where that vision originates. I see a man, formed of his environment and upbringing, who applies a limited depth of experience to a very revealing public expression. And I see a man who works from a fear of confrontation and from offending those closest to him, and as such, applies those fears in determining what direction his radio station will take.

Here and elsewhere, anyone who has encountered Dan Presley has seen a change over the years that, in my take, doesn't reflect growth. That he continues to post updates here, to persons who will never be his audience suggests to me that the personal attention a radio station might bring him surpasses the radio station itself. We're not his audience. Yet, I fear that those in Dan's circle of friend and family don't understand, can't understand all this fuss over a radio station. And so, we in default become his only community. Faceless and for the most part a nameless community.

As things have evolved, I grieve over what I see (acknowledging that others don't agree in my view) as ego over substance. The years of "construction is about to begin" posts read like the "look at me" story of the boy who cried wolf. Born in the midwest, I can't understand what growing up in Selma might have been like. But through this all -- and right or wrong, this is the key -- I see myself, decades ago, in Dan. When you're mostly unnoticed, it can be corrupting to find an outlet where you might finally begin to gain attention. I think I understand the battle of ego over substance because that battle is mine too.

I see a person who, more than perhaps anyone else ever encountered on a site like this, needs our help, our questions, our input. It is our right. It is our responsibility. That means more than wishes for success. To me, based on my dreams and visions and on my successes and failures, I see someone needing pointed, sometimes painful questions. I see someone who needs to be challenged. I see someone who needs to find perspective. I see it, and I choose to act on it, because I painfully (and yes, sometimes angrily) regret someone not doing the same with me decades ago.

We all gravitate to those who think most like ourselves. We're most comfortable with those who don't challenge our view. We'd prefer not having to consider the possibility that our choices might not be the correct choices. We'd prefer iron not sharpen iron. We'd prefer there not be consequences to our actions. As my dad used to say, "water seeks its own level."

So, I choose to question. To challenge. To hope. Hope that Dan Presley will somehow find what it takes to impact the divide that remains in Selma. To help in his communities restoration and revival. But to do it with perspective on what a radio station can and cannot do, what a radio station can and cannot be. And to do it without self, without ego. Because I personally and all too painfully know full well what the result may be if he doesn't.

Last edited:
Like you, I too have very strong opinions about Christian radio. ----

My compliments on a well thought out, polite response.

If I were looking at a startup in Selma strictly as a businessman - what is most likely to generate a return - at least a steady stream of donation revenue from listeners - I would take one look at the demographics and program southern or black gospel. Or the garden variety of "safe" CCM targeted at soccer moms. What Dan is doing is more risky from a purely business sense - programming to an audience that doesn't typically send in donations in shareathons. If God has really called him to do this, it will succeed. If he is doing it on his own wisdom, it will fail. The overhead for a LPFM is pretty low, so it won't take much revenue to keep it going.

I see a lot of crazy things going on in Houston with very small niches of religious broadcasters, who have almost no listeners - somehow acquire translator after translator, LPFM after LPFM. Given the small buildings some of the churches have that apply for these licenses, they don't have a lot of members, and I certainly doubt they have any big contributers in their congregations - money people who can pay for all this. They are doing these on shoestring budgets, to perhaps a few dozen to a few hundred listeners. I have my own opinion as to whether this is in the public interest, because radio frequencies are a limited resource, and it is called BROADcasting for a reason. Because there are not a lot of frequencies available, it makes sense to program each one to the broadest possible audience - even if that leaves out fans of formats such as classical, oldies, smooth jazz, foreign programming, or - yes - Christian rock.

What I have seen Dan go through is thinly veiled attempts to dissuade him from CCM, Christian CHR, or Christian rock by those who have religious objections to the style of music. I will vigorously defend him from such attacks, because the come from the same mold as 1611 AV version King James only nuts, creationist nuts, and other fringe groups that try to enforce thought control over ALL Christian radio stations, blind to the needs of other audience segments than their own. The ability to control other people through thought control, force, intimidation, and other forms of pressure reminds me of the 50's and 60's, when Elvis's dancing pelvis was a subject of controversy, rock and roll music was called n-word music, and black artists were "covered" by white artists who were more acceptable. The control over secular rock and roll failed then, and the control over Christian rock and Christian hip-hop is failing now, thanks to the Internet which permanently broke strangleholds conservative churches and organizations had over their local Christian radio stations. It is time for the opponents of CCM, Christian rock, and Christian hip-hop to let go, and go back to their local churches and concentrate on ministries over which they have authority. Otherwise it just makes misery for anybody programming the new formats, as they have to contend with groups that resemble Westboro Baptist Church and their hate speech. And as somebody who has programmed a Christian rock show, I have had to contend with that level of hate speech and problems. It is not pleasant to deal with. I think we should give Dan a break, let him succeed or fail on his own. I think he will succeed.

As I appreciate your response in kind.

I don't contribute much here or elsewhere. There's usually not much that I feel I can add to a conversation. This is different. I see red flags in Dan's situation, that I've also seen in my life. I hope I understand your thinking when you suggest we should just give him a break. But personal history compels me to act otherwise. Like you said, if it's not God's will, it will fail. That is a painful loss. I don't want anyone to go through that loss.

Because I've felt that loss. In spite of the successes that have come after, I still struggle with that loss decades later. Not long after Dan got the CP for his LPFM, I recall him writing that if it all fails, he believed that God will hold him accountable eternally for that failure. You and I know that's not how it works. But to me it signaled a deep rooted fear in Dan. A fear that can hold a person back from stepping out in faith, playing things safe and bending to those who attempt to disuade instead of moving in confidence and in boldness leaning only on God and not on any man or self.

So, perhaps I'm wrong in my response, but I chose to challenge and question. Hoping that our brother will pursue finding the answers that result in that confidence and boldness. But when I continue to read what I sense are statements based in ego and not reality, I continue to sense fear, and a need for reassurance that no man can give. A reassurance that can only be based on God's Word. I pray I'm wrong but I'm just not as confident as you, Bruce. How many LPFM fail annually? None of us want to see the one in Selma added to that list.

Jesus Radio Selma just signed on. Filing for my license to cover tonight. Excited but will celebrate the arrival once I get this sinus issue healed.

Dan <><

To God be the Glory. Believe it or not, I'm thrilled for you. But I suspect you already know that I won't let this pass without one more comment. There's little else anyone here can offer as help at this point. Depending solely on Him, it's in your hands now. You have to find the Way to separate the "wheat from the chaff." To separate the me from the Him. I trust that God alone has brought you here. I know that He alone can guide you through. But take the time to read and always remember one last thing.

My time in Christian radio taught me to measure success not by the praise of man, but by man's condemnation. If you're truly impacting Selma, you will be bombarded by complaints, criticism, condemnation and countless efforts to stop what you're doing. If you hear nothing but compliment and praise, you're not finding success in your efforts. Listen to those complaints. Test them by the Word. You'll find most without merit. And then press on toward the goal, trusting and confident only in Christ Jesus.

Last edited:
Over the past few days, Dan has been rebelling against the normals of Christian radio. You heard me right. I'm now playing songs that the other players won't even touch or haven't played in years. (I Am The Six O'Clock News by Larry Norman, is one great example) (It came on last night and caught me by surprise, when God and the Computer played it)

Dan <><

P.S. My playlist is wide and engaging. The older tunes will have a big time presence on here. Not going to follow the norms of the so-called Christian radio stations, we have now. Many of them are very boring and bland to me now. Glad that I'm just a little old independent radio station owner. I get to take risks and run with them. None of this playing the same old 100 tired out so-called researched songs every other hour. Dan is avoiding that on purpose. Want to play songs that feature a meat and potatoes doctrine.

B.T.W. To my oldies fanbase, Dan is now playing these singers and will add more like them, once I get the hard drive upgraded.

Petra
4Him
Russ Taff
Mylon and Broken Heart
The Imperials (Songs from Their Definitive Collection CD)
The Greatest Hits 1996 Release, along with the Live CD from Geoff Moore and the Distance
Wayne Watson
White Heart
Amy Grant (Her Greatest Hits 1986 CD)
Stryper (No slip of the keyboard here)
Dallas Holm
Don Francisco
Some Classics from Mr. Michael Card
Bruce Carroll
Larry Norman (No slip on the keyboard here)
Keith Green
Steve Camp
Steve Green
Al Denson
David Meece
Kim Boyce
At The Foot of the Cross (Derri Daughtery and Steve Hindalong)
Bob Bennett
Susan Ashton
The entire contents of the Family Reunion 2 CD set (Featuring Smitty, Rich Mullins, Prism, Kathy Trocolll, Mike E and the G-Rap Crew) (Yes Mike E has been heard on air) (No slip of the keyboard here)
Larnelle Harris
Aaron and Jeffery
DeGarmo and Key
Wes King
Charlie (Ashworth) Peacock
Twila Paris
The early stuff from Steven Curtis Chapman
Some classics from dc Talk
And our good friends Mr. Phill Keaggy and Ms. Cherri Keaggy

Last edited:
And yes...Dan did add Chris Christian The Producer CD too. This one features the now deceased Dan O Peek (America) and Marilyn McCoo (Solid Gold TV Fame) Even added a classic Hymns CD from Whitney Phipps. Came out under the Discovery Record Label in 2000. Love this recording very much. It's a beautiful masterpiece indeed.

Dan <><

P.S. More classical music notes are going to be added soon. Ready now to include some songs from Al Green, Andre Crouch and The Disciples, Rachel Rachel, Bryan Duncan and few other older CD's I own.

Personal Note: Already playing the Andre Crouch Tribute CD by Paul Lancaster and it's an all time favorite of mine right now. Love the way this man sings those classic songs of the faith.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom