• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WLS FM hires Ron Parker as afternoon host

staggmovie

Star Participant
Just in from New York, radio veteran Ron Parker hits the air today as new afternoon personality on WLS FM 94.7, the Cumulus Media classic hits station. The Bronx native most recently worked for Sirius XM Radio and at WNSH and WCBS FM in New York. Previous markets included San Francisco, Houston, Dallas, Phoenix and Tallahassee. “Ron is one of the premier talents of the classic hits format and has always achieved ratings success,” Brian Thomas, program director of WLS FM, said in a statement. The two worked together earlier at WNSH and WCBS. Hosting from 3 to 7 p.m. weekdays, Parker replaces Robert Murphy, who signed off December 30 after his contract was not renewed.

Just in from New York, radio veteran Ron Parker hits the air today as new afternoon personality on WLS FM 94.7, the Cumulus Media classic hits station. The Bronx native most recently worked for Sirius XM Radio and at WNSH and WCBS FM in New York. Previous markets included San Francisco, Houston, Dallas, Phoenix and Tallahassee. “Ron is one of the premier talents of the classic hits format and has always achieved ratings success,” Brian Thomas, program director of WLS FM, said in a statement. The two worked together earlier at WNSH and WCBS. Hosting from 3 to 7 p.m. weekdays, Parker replaces Robert Murphy, who signed off December 30 after his contract was not renewed.

Thomas scored a MAJOR coup in hiring Parker for afternoons - particularly for the classic hits format, which both have had success with in the past.

I've heard Parker and IMO he's very ordinary at best. He was probably hired because he's a friend of Thomas and he comes cheaper than Murphy. Obviously Murphy wasn't allowed to entertain so just bring in his friend (Thomas') to run the board and read liner cards.

As far as I can recall I have never heard of this guy, so I don't know when he was on WLS before. Did the article say that he was a friend of the program, I don't know why he hired him, but that is the thing with radio either you have a job or you don't. I can't say for sure or not if he came cheaper then Murphy, but very rarely (if ever) when a station hires a host to host a show, or a dj to host a show on a station that don't announce what the deal was for either how many years or how much money he or she will make, and not all the time they are there until the end of their contract.

When copying from another source, you MUST credit the source.
Who wrote this?

I've heard Parker and IMO he's very ordinary at best. He was probably hired because he's a friend of Thomas and he comes cheaper than Murphy. Obviously Murphy wasn't allowed to entertain so just bring in his friend (Thomas') to run the board and read liner cards.

"Run the board?" They don't need a live human for that anymore. You want him to cue up records too?

Who wrote this?

Now you tell me this I get my news from Robert Feder http://www.robertfeder.com

I have been postings stories for him for months, why are you calling me out now

Larz from Chicagoland and Media has also reported this as well

I am sure there are stiff that needs to be done that a computer can't, like run the sound board or if have somebody sit at the board, and they sit on the side. But a computer can't announce a name of the song or artist on the air. And I don't know if they do this like K-Hits does, what if there is a contest for a giveaway like a vacation trip, or even concert tickets, like omg K-Hits after 8 AM Dave Fogel their morning man that also used to be the morning man on WLS FM announces a name of a song and artist for people to listen for at least once if not twice in that same day to listen for for a chance to win that trip. Where last say the song could be Piano Man by Billy Joel. Can a computer do that on the air, and plus unlike 87.7 ME TV FM they are not a jockless station.

I am sure there are stiff that needs to be done that a computer can't, like run the sound board or if have somebody sit at the board, and they sit on the side. But a computer can't announce a name of the song or artist on the air. And I don't know if they do this like K-Hits does, what if there is a contest for a giveaway like a vacation trip, or even concert tickets, like omg K-Hits after 8 AM Dave Fogel their morning man that also used to be the morning man on WLS FM announces a name of a song and artist for people to listen for at least once if not twice in that same day to listen for for a chance to win that trip. Where last say the song could be Piano Man by Billy Joel. Can a computer do that on the air, and plus unlike 87.7 ME TV FM they are not a jockless station.

All of the things you mention can be automated and run by "the computer".

Using voice tracking, we can do everything from time checks to weather to announcing songs and running contests. In most cases, the computer / digital storage system runs the individual elements of programming, such as sequencing songs and imaging and commercial stopsets. While announcing can be live, it is more often done via voice tracking where the announcing for a 3 or 4 hour DJ shift is done in 20 to 30 minutes well ahead of the show... and played back by the computer.

Sure, why not? Make sure he gets the needle on the right spot on those BIG electrical transcriptions.

I liked the ones that played from the inside outwards!

Who wrote this?

Now you tell me this I get my news from Robert Feder http://www.robertfeder.com

I have been postings stories for him for months, why are you calling me out now

Larz from Chicagoland and Media has also reported this as well

I should not need to tell you this. What you are doing is plagiarism. Posting someone's writings without giving them credit.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plagiarism

So nobody ever asked me expect for you of what is my source, and I would think the name should come up on the report, but until this week you have never bothered calling mer out on this, so why start now?

All of the things you mention can be automated and run by "the computer".

Using voice tracking, we can do everything from time checks to weather to announcing songs and running contests. In most cases, the computer / digital storage system runs the individual elements of programming, such as sequencing songs and imaging and commercial stopsets. While announcing can be live, it is more often done via voice tracking where the announcing for a 3 or 4 hour DJ shift is done in 20 to 30 minutes well ahead of the show... and played back by the computer.

But would it be better to be done by a liver on air host, and would also save more time when it is done live then doing it voice tracking, and it is like I said that WLS is not a jockless station, there are certain points when there are no djs are in the WLS studios really includes overnights, Sunday nights when they do a rebroadcast of Casey Kasem's American Top 40, and even weekday nights a far as I am aware of that Jeff Davis does his night time show from Los Angeles. And wouldn't it be better to have certain things be done by a live person then computer? And I don't see WLS 94.7 going jockless 24/7 by releasing all their on air djs which includes Dick Bondi, one of the last remaining hosts that was on the station when they returned to WLS 94.7 FM back in 2006.

So nobody ever asked me expect for you of what is my source, and I would think the name should come up on the report, but until this week you have never bothered calling mer out on this, so why start now?

I'm giving you a seven day 'vacation' to ponder this. When you copy and paste from another website, you must give credit to the writer. I'm calling you out now because I didn't discover your plagiarism until now.

"Fair Use" and copyright are concepts anyone who posts things that are the thoughts and writings and graphics of others ought to know.

But would it be better to be done by a liver on air host, and would also save more time when it is done live then doing it voice tracking, and it is like I said that WLS is not a jockless station, there are certain points when there are no djs are in the WLS studios really includes overnights, Sunday nights when they do a rebroadcast of Casey Kasem's American Top 40, and even weekday nights a far as I am aware of that Jeff Davis does his night time show from Los Angeles. And wouldn't it be better to have certain things be done by a live person then computer? And I don't see WLS 94.7 going jockless 24/7 by releasing all their on air djs which includes Dick Bondi, one of the last remaining hosts that was on the station when they returned to WLS 94.7 FM back in 2006.

I know you can't post for a week, so I'd recommend that you spend the time with a read the latest edition of "Keith's Radio" which is the standard and oft-updated textbook about radio.

Voice tracking saves loads of time over doing a live show. Some of us believe that in many dayparts it results in a better show, and allows the jock to do other things, such as engaging listeners on FB, sending tweets and otherwise using other social media outlets that listeners may use. A well done voice tracked show can segue songs perfectly, and even precisely hit the post because we can listen to the tips and tails of the songs as we do the VT work.

Stations can run AT40 or other syndicated / recorded shows with nobody in the studio. The digital storage / automation gear knows precisely what to do and can insert spots and promos and IDs.

You don't expect the songs to be live, do you? Why is it not a good idea to do the most polished show possible, and that means starting over if a voice track bit just does not feel good.

I ran successful personality stations that were automated except in mornings back in the late 70's. In one case, they were in the top two positions in their 30-station market. It took more work back then, but it produced a much more polished and professional sound than anyone else had. And the jocks got out on the streets every day to do promotions and to appear at local community and charity events.

Getting back to Ron Parker, he is an adequate jofck, nothing special. He did middays at CBS FM after Bob Shannon left and before Scott Shannon came in and moved Dan Taylor to middays. His ratings at CBS were very good, as were Bob Shannon's and Dan Taylor's. It's the shift,not the personality. CBSFM could have run a jockless format from 10 to 3 and it would still be #1.

WLS FM is a dull sounding station. Same late 70's 80's songs and very little personality from the talent. Murphy was good,but he didn't do much on the air. He was much better in AM drive. I would imagine anybody who can read liner cards would have fit in. Parker was a friend of Brian Thomas and I would imagine he is working for less than Robert Murphy.

CBS-FM did run jockless all day for quite a while. It was called Jack FM. We know how that worked out. Is the only beef with Parker that he's not from Chicago? Who else is available, not workig for a competitor or sitting out a non-compete who should have gotten the gig?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom