WLS FM hires Ron Parker as afternoon host - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: WLS FM hires Ron Parker as afternoon host

Quote Originally Posted by radioman148 View Post
    Sure, why not? Make sure he gets the needle on the right spot on those BIG electrical transcriptions.
    Wait a minute--this is Chicago. Don't you have to have an AFM member running the turntables? The ghost of Petrillo may be watching!
    Save AM radio...kill I-CRAP.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by oldiesfan6479 View Post
    Wait a minute--this is Chicago. Don't you have to have an AFM member running the turntables? The ghost of Petrillo may be watching!
    The AFM long ago required stations to have a studio orchestra or band if they were going to play recorded music. But they did not represent, as far as I can find, technicians and board ops. That was often the IBEW or similar unions.

I do not know about the Citadel stations, but there are other Chicago stations that are combo operations or even all automated.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, RCA Broadcast News, Television Magazine, Radio Annual, Radio News, Sponsor, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, M Street Directory, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

I'm trying to picture "Boogie Check" with 60 year old callers, as opposed the pre-teens that were calling in the 70s. At second thought, no.
    Quote Originally Posted by KayJayJay View Post
    Honestly, do any of us still want to be entertained in the way a John Landecker or Robert Murphy did in our youth? Our views, our tastes, what's now important has all changed with age. What we want from a radio station has changed too. Example, Lujack and Edwards. I loved Animal Stories on WLS as a kid. Have all the albums. But that same feature, twenty years later on WRLL was painful to sit through. Tedium personified. Sometimes it is better to just play the music.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA View Post
    Maybe it's time to try something else.
    And here's your something else in both cases - as I indicated earlier in the thread, BOTH Parker and Thomas have CONSIDERABLE experience in the classic hits format - BOTH are also experienced programmers (Parker having been a PD at KLDE in Houston) - I say give them a chance!

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post

The AFM long ago required stations to have a studio orchestra or band if they were going to play recorded music. But they did not represent, as far as I can find, technicians and board ops. That was often the IBEW or similar unions.

I do not know about the Citadel stations, but there are other Chicago stations that are combo operations or even all automated.

I thought most of the top market clusters had a CWA or IBEW person on the premises 24 / 7, in case something gone wrong. Several missed commercials or a couple of quarter hours of no PPM would make this expense seem minor.

Quote Originally Posted by secondchoice View Post
    I thought most of the top market clusters had a CWA or IBEW person on the premises 24 / 7, in case something gone wrong. Several missed commercials or a couple of quarter hours of no PPM would make this expense seem minor.
    Depends on what year. Most top markets have had spot breaks automated since the early 90s. No need for a union guy who might fall asleep. And I used to be one.

Super Moderator
    Depends on what year. Most top markets have had spot breaks automated since the early 90s. No need for a union guy who might fall asleep. And I used to be one.
    And most of the union board ops were not engineers capable of fixing something. They knew how to run the board, take readings when that was required and often nothing else. Union contracts preserved the jobs for as long as they could, but they could not hold on forever.

Just as BigA was a union member, I was many times involved on the "other" side... having had to cross IBEW and UPAGRA and other picket lines as a manager or PD and having decertified shops more than once.

Between BigA and I, we know the situation from all sides should you have questions.

In the last 20-some years that the stations I have worked with have had all commercials automated, I can say that the cost of having a body there 24/7 far exceeds any lost revenue (which is usually quickly handled by make-goods).
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, RCA Broadcast News, Television Magazine, Radio Annual, Radio News, Sponsor, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, M Street Directory, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Super Moderator
    Reminds me of pulling into the parking lot at an LA station back in the 70's. I sort of noticed a big cable running out the door to the parking lot. When I went into the studio, the jock was there, but no union board op. The commercial break came up, and the spots ran, but still no board op.

I then followed the cable out to the parking lot. The board op was on a dolly under his car doing some mechanical work. He had a remote control to all the cart decks, and fired them when the DJ gave him a cue.

Obviously, he was of no help in an emergency unless the emergency involved the spark plugs.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post

And most of the union board ops were not engineers capable of fixing something.
    Exactly. Two different animals. And of one attempted to do the job of another: Grievance!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234