WLS FM hires Ron Parker as afternoon host
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: WLS FM hires Ron Parker as afternoon host

WLS FM hires Ron Parker as afternoon host

Just in from New York, radio veteran Ron Parker hits the air today as new afternoon personality on WLS FM 94.7, the Cumulus Media classic hits station. The Bronx native most recently worked for Sirius XM Radio and at WNSH and WCBS FM in New York. Previous markets included San Francisco, Houston, Dallas, Phoenix and Tallahassee. “Ron is one of the premier talents of the classic hits format and has always achieved ratings success,” Brian Thomas, program director of WLS FM, said in a statement. The two worked together earlier at WNSH and WCBS. Hosting from 3 to 7 p.m. weekdays, Parker replaces Robert Murphy, who signed off December 30 after his contract was not renewed.

Quote Originally Posted by staggmovie View Post
    Just in from New York, radio veteran Ron Parker hits the air today as new afternoon personality on WLS FM 94.7, the Cumulus Media classic hits station. The Bronx native most recently worked for Sirius XM Radio and at WNSH and WCBS FM in New York. Previous markets included San Francisco, Houston, Dallas, Phoenix and Tallahassee. “Ron is one of the premier talents of the classic hits format and has always achieved ratings success,” Brian Thomas, program director of WLS FM, said in a statement. The two worked together earlier at WNSH and WCBS. Hosting from 3 to 7 p.m. weekdays, Parker replaces Robert Murphy, who signed off December 30 after his contract was not renewed.
    Thomas scored a MAJOR coup in hiring Parker for afternoons - particularly for the classic hits format, which both have had success with in the past.

So are you trying to make it sound like it is a good thing or a bad thing?

I've heard Parker and IMO he's very ordinary at best. He was probably hired because he's a friend of Thomas and he comes cheaper than Murphy. Obviously Murphy wasn't allowed to entertain so just bring in his friend (Thomas') to run the board and read liner cards.

As far as I can recall I have never heard of this guy, so I don't know when he was on WLS before. Did the article say that he was a friend of the program, I don't know why he hired him, but that is the thing with radio either you have a job or you don't. I can't say for sure or not if he came cheaper then Murphy, but very rarely (if ever) when a station hires a host to host a show, or a dj to host a show on a station that don't announce what the deal was for either how many years or how much money he or she will make, and not all the time they are there until the end of their contract.

Quote Originally Posted by staggmovie View Post
    When copying from another source, you MUST credit the source.
    Who wrote this?

Quote Originally Posted by radioman148 View Post
    I've heard Parker and IMO he's very ordinary at best. He was probably hired because he's a friend of Thomas and he comes cheaper than Murphy. Obviously Murphy wasn't allowed to entertain so just bring in his friend (Thomas') to run the board and read liner cards.
    "Run the board?" They don't need a live human for that anymore. You want him to cue up records too?

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA View Post
    "Run the board?" They don't need a live human for that anymore. You want him to cue up records too?
    Sure, why not? Make sure he gets the needle on the right spot on those BIG electrical transcriptions.

When copying from another source, you MUST credit the source.
    Who wrote this?

Now you tell me this I get my news from Robert Feder http://www.robertfeder.com

I have been postings stories for him for months, why are you calling me out now

Larz from Chicagoland and Media has also reported this as well

I am sure there are stiff that needs to be done that a computer can't, like run the sound board or if have somebody sit at the board, and they sit on the side. But a computer can't announce a name of the song or artist on the air. And I don't know if they do this like K-Hits does, what if there is a contest for a giveaway like a vacation trip, or even concert tickets, like omg K-Hits after 8 AM Dave Fogel their morning man that also used to be the morning man on WLS FM announces a name of a song and artist for people to listen for at least once if not twice in that same day to listen for for a chance to win that trip. Where last say the song could be Piano Man by Billy Joel. Can a computer do that on the air, and plus unlike 87.7 ME TV FM they are not a jockless station.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast