JJZ on 1480 AM WDAS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: JJZ on 1480 AM WDAS

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    JJZ on 1480 AM WDAS

    Am curious to hear you folks' opinion on what if any impact WDAS ("JJZ 1480") has on anything. It never seems to show up in the ratings. It's a horrible signal and I'm honestly shocked iHeart has stuck with the format for several years on 1480 AM. I guess nothing else to put on there? Maybe to help promote the webstream which I'm sure might get more listeners than the horrible signal. It's a shame because it's actually a GREAT mix of smooth jazz, far better than when it was on 97.5 and 106.1 years ago. Anyone's thoughts?

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Philly-ish
    Posts
    168
    Quote Originally Posted by Route 222 View Post
    Am curious to hear you folks' opinion on what if any impact WDAS ("JJZ 1480") has on anything. It never seems to show up in the ratings. It's a horrible signal and I'm honestly shocked iHeart has stuck with the format for several years on 1480 AM. I guess nothing else to put on there? Maybe to help promote the webstream which I'm sure might get more listeners than the horrible signal. It's a shame because it's actually a GREAT mix of smooth jazz, far better than when it was on 97.5 and 106.1 years ago. Anyone's thoughts?
    PPM was VERY unkind to Smooth Jazz (The website 538 did a great article on this a while back: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...he-radio-star/). That being said, if you're iHeart, what else can you put on that signal? Really not much. They've tried variations of gospel, Urban AC and more. There is a translator on 104.1 in Trenton for WISX, but I don't know if A.) It's broadcasting JJZ off of WISX-HD2 or B.) If it's applying to move into Philly.

  3. #3
    It sounds good on the HD2 signal I guess 1480 is just an afterthought. It would be nice to put IHearts standards channel on 1480. It's a nice mix of soft oldies,lots of Sinatra and other artists, Yes, I know it would skew quite older,but they would be the only game in town and would be a welcome addition for older listeners. I m sure very few people listen to 1480. It's part of a cluster. Sure would be better than going religious or brokered. Lord knows we are oversaturated with those. Wouldn't it be nice to have a music AM station that a lot of people would discover and enjoy? Just run the Iheart feed. Very little expense.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by atthestars View Post
    PPM was VERY unkind to Smooth Jazz (The website 538 did a great article on this a while back: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...he-radio-star/). That being said, if you're iHeart, what else can you put on that signal? Really not much. They've tried variations of gospel, Urban AC and more. There is a translator on 104.1 in Trenton for WISX, but I don't know if A.) It's broadcasting JJZ off of WISX-HD2 or B.) If it's applying to move into Philly.
    PPM just showed the reality of all low cume, high TSL stations. And that was not just smooth jazz.

    The diary exaggerated actual listening time due to rounding and the fact listeners did not take into account natural breaks in listening.

    While most stations benefited from greatly increased cume due to secondary listening, Smooth Jazz did not. It's a very niche format.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, RCA Broadcast News, Television Magazine, Radio Annual, Radio News, Sponsor, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, M Street Directory, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

  5. #5
    [QUOTE=benale;6132538]It sounds good on the HD2 signal I guess 1480 is just an afterthought. It would be nice to put IHearts standards channel on 1480. It's a nice mix of soft oldies,lots of Sinatra and other artists, Yes, I know it would skew quite older,but they would be the only game in town and would be a welcome addition for older listeners. I m sure very few people listen to 1480. It's part of a cluster. Sure would be better than going religious or brokered. Lord knows we are oversaturated with those. Wouldn't it be nice to have a music AM station that a lot of people would discover and enjoy? Just run the Iheart feed. Very little expense.

    I have been saying it for years put Standards on 1480 and 106.1 HD2 and perhaps grab a translator like the format of the day 97.1, it would do very well. Us older folk would go out of our way to tune it in.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunsmoke View Post
    I have been saying it for years put Standards on 1480 and 106.1 HD2 and perhaps grab a translator like the format of the day 97.1, it would do very well. Us older folk would go out of our way to tune it in.
    Who would possibly advertise on it?
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, RCA Broadcast News, Television Magazine, Radio Annual, Radio News, Sponsor, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, M Street Directory, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

  7. #7
    I would guess the same ones that advertise on those nostalgia digit tv channels like METV, Antenna, Cozi, H&I, Retro, Works, This, Decades, Buzzer and others anyone want to buy My Pillow lol.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Philly-ish
    Posts
    168
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunsmoke View Post
    I would guess the same ones that advertise on those nostalgia digit tv channels like METV, Antenna, Cozi, H&I, Retro, Works, This, Decades, Buzzer and others anyone want to buy My Pillow lol.
    How many of those advertisers are ones that say "Call today with Promo Code RADIO23!"

    Those ads generally don't have to pay unless they get a conversion from said promo code that is specific to the station.

    So unless people call, the station generally doesn't get much $... so it's not the most financially viable idea.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunsmoke View Post
    I would guess the same ones that advertise on those nostalgia digit tv channels like METV, Antenna, Cozi, H&I, Retro, Works, This, Decades, Buzzer and others anyone want to buy My Pillow lol.
    Those are national buys. There is essentially no money at all for stations appealing to nobody under 65 or 70.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, RCA Broadcast News, Television Magazine, Radio Annual, Radio News, Sponsor, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, M Street Directory, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

  10. #10
    One question, how does WFAT, WLBE and KFXM stay afloat and I am sure there are many more of those around the US. Unless they can survive in very small markets where as they are not feasleable in major markets. I would think they could do better in major markets where more people of all ages reside.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  




     
Our Conferences
Useful Contacts
Community


Contact Us