Technology of radio

Thread: Technology of radio

Post Technology of radio

Analog modem has a maximum download rate of 53.3 kbit/s. There are 19 genres of music on FM radio: Jazz, Adult Album Alternative, Top-40, Spanish Pop, Ethnic, Hot AC, Rock, Country, Religious, Hot AC, Classic Rock, Rock, Spanish Pop, Christian Contemporary, Hip Hop, Tropical, Adult Contemporary, Christian Contemporary, Urban Contemporary,
    and 2 on AM radio: Spanish Christian, and Gospel Music.

What we really needed was an audio codec (XM uses HE-AAC, HD radio uses PAC) that got the best sound possible at whatever AM can broadcast at, which according to the wikipedia is 40 kbps, and then emphasized multicasting for FM so that more genres can be available in more locations. The biggest market is NYC.

The thing is, I think the technology was launched before it was ready, there is now HE-AAC-PS which should sound superior at 40 kbps. Then there's the AMBE codec that I'm not sure can go to bit rates that high.

And I would also point out - there is Music Choice on HDTV. Why not have the genres reflect radio genres so we don't hear "Jet Airliner" over and over again?
    Last edited by MerlynKing; 01-10-2017 at 05:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MerlynKing View Post
    Analog modem has a maximum download rate of 53.3 kbit/s. There are 19 genres of music on FM radio: Jazz, Adult Album Alternative, Top-40, Spanish Pop, Ethnic, Hot AC, Rock, Country, Religious, Hot AC, Classic Rock, Rock, Spanish Pop, Christian Contemporary, Hip Hop, Tropical, Adult Contemporary, Christian Contemporary, Urban Contemporary,
    Are you speaking of your particular market? I ask because there are certainly more formats than just those mentioned, such as Alternative Rock, Classic Rock, Classic Country, classic hits, oldies, soft AC, Adult Hits, Churban, CHR, etc.

In Spanish language formats, there are rock, adult hits, pop, rhythmic/reggaeton, Regional Mexican, ranchera, grupera, Tejano, Caribbean Tropical, Mexican / Central American Tropical, AC and several others.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, RCA Broadcast News, Television Magazine, Radio Annual, Radio News, Sponsor, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, M Street Directory, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

What is the question or point? There are literally a dozen different codecs used for audio streaming.

Quote Originally Posted by MerlynKing View Post

What we really needed was an audio codec (XM uses HE-AAC, HD radio uses PAC) that got the best sound possible at whatever AM can broadcast at, which according to the wikipedia is 40 kbps, and then emphasized multicasting for FM so that more genres can be available in more locations. The biggest market is NYC.

The thing is, I think the technology was launched before it was ready, there is now HE-AAC-PS which should sound superior at 40 kbps. Then there's the AMBE codec that I'm not sure can go to bit rates that high.

And I would also point out - there is Music Choice on HDTV. Why not have the genres reflect radio genres so we don't hear "Jet Airliner" over and over again?
    Is the idea for an alternative digital format to HD for AM? Or to prepare the country for an all-digital scenario like Norway? I'm scratching my head in confusion...

Problem I see in all this is the manufacturers don't want to do anything new. HD has fairly low penetration in cars and even lower in tabletop/portable. It has been an uphill battle to pique interest in digital radio when cellphones, tablets, etc. are increasing technology exponentially. To create a new standard, turning most of these HD radios back into analog only pieces, (not to mention all the cars who have navigation systems using HD traffic) then create a new system to shill out new radios, in an industry that at best overall is flat in its revenue...it'd be a hard, hard sell.

That being said, I am in agreement with you that AM needs something, anything to make it a bit more appealing. The all-digital AM tests went well recently, and I could see that being a potential help to the slowly suffocating AM band.

Radio-X
    Proud to still be the least important paid worker in the Seattle/Tacoma media industry!

Shut up! It's Daddy, you s*******. Where's my bourbon? -Frank Booth, Blue Velvet

Quote Originally Posted by Radio-X View Post
    Problem I see in all this is the manufacturers don't want to do anything new.
    Exactly, and manufacturers are typically not making products specifically for the US market. So if this is a US system, good luck getting radios that will receive it.

The weakest link in the radio chain today is the lack of devices. Electronics manufacturers are no longer investing any time in creating fun radios. The last one may have been the Walkman over 25 years ago. We have a generation that's grown up since then, and during that time, they don't even know that radios can be portable. They think of them as something attached to something else, like a car. This is a big problem, especially when we're talking about technical improvements to audio quality.

What is needed is for companies with something to gain, specifically radio owners, to get involved in radio manufacturing. Can you imagine if a radio company had invented the Amazon Echo, and it included an FM radio? As it is, it will get you FM stations on TuneIn, but not OTA. This is the kind of product that might revive interest in radio.