• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Sangean HD 16

It's in the produce section between the kumquats and star fruit, where no one ever looks.
That is only in Super Walmarts
I interpreted that as meaning that they might have an aux input in the parking garage, on the side, or around the back ;)

This is a rough room. LOL.

I meant to write that a bluetooth adapter that plugs into the aux input on the Sangean HDR-16 (or anything with an aux input) can be found at Walmart in the Electronics Department for only $8.95. It's a Black Web product hanging on the accessories rack. Works well too.

Now... back to our regular program.

I'm scanning flea-bay, Craigslist, and the like all the time for an HDR-16! I'm not exactly confident of finding a good used one there, but I'm looking!

I'm scanning flea-bay, Craigslist, and the like all the time for an HDR-16! I'm not exactly confident of finding a good used one there, but I'm looking!

Why don't you buy one new? They are under $100.

I would think the model is too new to show up on the sites you mention.

I recently bought a non-portable, so used would allow me to purchase sooner, or _maybe_ allow me to purchase vs not. There appear to be ‘refurbished’ ones out there for a small discount.

Radios are like oats.
They cost more before they go through a horse.

I recently bought a non-portable, so used would allow me to purchase sooner, or _maybe_ allow me to purchase vs not. There appear to be ‘refurbished’ ones out there for a small discount.

Brand new at one online retailer an HDR16 is $76. I don't think that even a refurbished one is going to go that low on an auction site, when shipping costs are considered.

Turns out a friend had one and he let me borrow it the other day. He doesn’t use it, so maybe he’ll let it go.

I got a solid, stable lock on KSL AM's HD broadcast in the house with this radio last night. I was quite impressed!

However this radio has one disppointing flaw. I use it as a bedside radio and fall asleep to it using the sleep timer. The problem is the LCD backlight is extremely bright and there is no way to turn it off while the radio is on!

There is an extremely simple fix for this:
Run the radio on battery power rather than the A/C adapter. When on battery, the light shuts off within just a few seconds (at least with current-production HDR-16s).

I got a solid, stable lock on KSL AM's HD broadcast in the house with this radio last night. I was quite impressed!

I also have the Sangean HD16 but have yet to hear HD on the AM band; as fate would have it, the last AM station in my local listening area turned off the HD about 3 months before I purchased the Sangean.

Not knowing how far you are from the KSL towers, I am wondering if this is a sky wave signal? I was in Virginia Beach,VA this past September and although it looked as though I would get a lock on WCBS, I never did; the HD logo kept blinking and blinking......I was using battery only mode and the signal was strong, but I could hear the Cuban 880 underneath as well as the Miami 880 underneath from time to time; but again the WCBS signal was strong........would the very slight (almost inaudible) interference keep the HD from locking?

I will be in Harrisonburg, Virginia later this month, which is closer to NYC (and away from the coast, so that might lessen the Cuban and Miami 880’s), so I’m hoping if HD is possible via sky wave to hear AM HD for the first time.

IMO, the Sangean HD16 is a very good dx’ing radio on both bands.

Yes, KSL's signal is certainly sky wave here. the distance-from-to type of websites put straight-line distance at around 500 miles between here and there. I think the HDR-16 is a pretty good DX radio, too. It's not as good as my old GE on AM, but it's quite good and it's terrific on FM.

I've experienced the inability to lock (meaning, to play) HD signals the same as you have. There are only a couple of AM stations here locally (Phoenix area) that transmit in HD. The one is a sport-talk station, and it locks right in. Sounds clean and clear with much better treble reproduction; very much like an FM station. There's a spanish-language music station that is the other AM HD transmitter here. It's part of the La Campesina group. I can't get that HD signal to lock on any HD radio, automotive or household, unless it's within 4 or 5 miles of the transmitter tower. The signal strength is very good all over the place, but the HD signal just won't lock in unless you're right there. I sent a note to La Campesina about it through their website, but got no response. They simulcast their signal on an FM station here now, so I suspect they care little what is going on with their AM transmission.

Yes, KSL's signal is certainly sky wave here. the distance-from-to type of websites put straight-line distance at around 500 miles between here and there. I think the HDR-16 is a pretty good DX radio, too. It's not as good as my old GE on AM, but it's quite good and it's terrific on FM.

I've experienced the inability to lock (meaning, to play) HD signals the same as you have. There are only a couple of AM stations here locally (Phoenix area) that transmit in HD. The one is a sport-talk station, and it locks right in. Sounds clean and clear with much better treble reproduction; very much like an FM station. There's a spanish-language music station that is the other AM HD transmitter here. It's part of the La Campesina group. I can't get that HD signal to lock on any HD radio, automotive or household, unless it's within 4 or 5 miles of the transmitter tower. The signal strength is very good all over the place, but the HD signal just won't lock in unless you're right there. I sent a note to La Campesina about it through their website, but got no response. They simulcast their signal on an FM station here now, so I suspect they care little what is going on with their AM transmission.
Thank you very much for all the detailed info Bulwinkl; at least there is hope that one day I might hear HD AM; this time in Harrisonburg,VA will be the last time for a while that I might be able to try it; in mid August I will be in Charleston,SC, but I’m suspecting between the time of the year and the fact that I could not get any of the NYC stations in HD in Virginia Beach,VA, that the odds of hearing an HD signal for my week in Charleston,SC will be even more remote that Virginia Beach. The month before Virginia Beach I was in Seattle for several days and no HD radio on the AM band there.

I’m surprised there weren’t any AM HD stations in Seattle. I’d have expected some. Maybe you’ll get lucky this next time in Charleston!

I’m surprised there weren’t any AM HD stations in Seattle. I’d have expected some. Maybe you’ll get lucky this next time in Charleston!
I was surprised as well; since I had checked radio-locator before I left and it should about 4 or 5 AM stations with HD capabilities; so I’m guessing that just like in my home market (St. Petersburg-Tamap) where there had been four or maybe even five at one time.....one by one, they stopped the HD. I did the HD scan in Seattle numerous times day and night every day and it would just go through the whole AM band w/o stopping. If I do hear something in Charleston, S.C. In Harrisonburg,VA later this month, I will be pleasantly surprised. Think I’m more likely to hear AM HD in the northern tip of Virginia than Charleston. Here though there is just two much interference from the Cuban stations day and night to expect any sky wave HD reception.

I have tried and first when the 88o Cuban station was off the air for a few days; I was thinking I could get a lock on WCBS 880, but no luck.

If anyone reading this is in Charleston,SC let me know what AM stations might be in HD.

There were two HD AM stations in Seattle itself a couple years ago, the South Asian station on 1250 and the sports station on 1090. I had just bought a Sony XDR HD radio (used) and heard them, and within a couple months the HD was turned off on both stations. They are now both analog only. There might be a couple HD AM stations north of the city, but I haven't heard their IBOC buzz lately, so I'm not certain they still run HD on AM. I also haven't fired up the Sony XDR lately (lost interest in HD AM or FM).

There were two HD AM stations in Seattle itself a couple years ago, the South Asian station on 1250 and the sports station on 1090. I had just bought a Sony XDR HD radio (used) and heard them, and within a couple months the HD was turned off on both stations. They are now both analog only. There might be a couple HD AM stations north of the city, but I haven't heard their IBOC buzz lately, so I'm not certain they still run HD on AM. I also haven't fired up the Sony XDR lately (lost interest in HD AM or FM).
————————————————————————————————————

Thanks for the info boombox4; normally I’m a day late and a dollar short......this time I was two years too late! I was staying in the University District, so all the signals of the Seattle stations were strong and in additional to do the HD scan, I then, getting desperate, checked each one out several times, one by one, including 1090 and 1250 and as you indicated they are now in analogue. At least now I know it wasn’t me or the radio! :(

————————————————————————————————————

Thanks for the info boombox4; normally I’m a day late and a dollar short......this time I was two years too late! I was staying in the University District, so all the signals of the Seattle stations were strong and in additional to do the HD scan, I then, getting desperate, checked each one out several times, one by one, including 1090 and 1250 and as you indicated they are now in analogue. At least now I know it wasn’t me or the radio! :(

No prob. The two north of town were 1380 KRKO and 1520 KKXA. I don't know if they still run HD. It's kind of a bummer that neither of the other two run HD, it was fun to hear, actually. Sort of like hearing the future of AM. But either the equipment broke, or they just decided it wasn't worth it.

I just got a Sangean HDR-16. The FM is great, and HD sounds very good. Easy to use, easy to tune through analog and HD on FM. It 'sees' HD and then switches to HD on FM, and then the next channel or so up is the HD-2, HD-3 etc. if the station has one.

AM reception is very good -- not quite up to PR-D5 standards, but good enough to DX with. It pulls in KSL strong enough for the HD to blink, and the same with KNX -- although their HD won't switch on, even with a loop.

The HDR-16 seems to have either some internally generated noise on AM, or it's more susceptible to external noise than my PR-D5 (the noise itself might be noise from the power supply on my router about 20 ft away). The switching power supply that came with the radio is virtually noise free, however. The HDR-16 on batteries doesn't even pick up the noise (noise reduction?) when I set it close to the power supply, and my Realistic TRF will pick up the power supply's noise within about a foot, beyond that, it's gone. Bravo, Sangean! If only all switching power supplies could be this quiet!

Overall I'm still testing the radio out. I am pleased with it so far. Makes FM worthwhile again, because local rocker KISW has a very good HD-2, the Metal channel, and they play a lot of great metal and hard rock music. It's the first time I've wanted to turn on the FM since the short lived rocker on 98.9 flipped two years ago, and before then when pop was interesting 2012-2014.

It seems to vary the bandwidth of the AM, depending on strength of signal. It goes from wider than the PR-D5's 4-5 khz bandwidth to narrower, depending on reception. I haven't used this radio at night enough to determine how well it helps or hinders DXing.

Overall the HDR-16 more of a listening radio, because of the AM characteristics. If you're an FM fan, and want something portable to carry around the house or yard, which gets your favorite HD channel, it's definitely worth it. I'm glad I bought mine.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom