• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Noise killing AM radio

But after the 'Big One' or the Cascadia quake there will also be NO POWER east of I-5 so the noise floor will go down to zero. But can anybody find a battery operated radio in their house nowadays.

But after the 'Big One' or the Cascadia quake there will also be NO POWER east of I-5 so the noise floor will go down to zero. But can anybody find a battery operated radio in their house nowadays.
With all due respect, that's just silly. You can't make that prediction. Many communities around the affected areas will continue to function at unpredictable levels. The facts are that failing utility transformers and substations around floods and earthquakes alone, will generate massive amounts of noise for miles.

Y
Yeah AM in California is nice that way, between KFBK, KSTE, KMJ, KFIG, KERN, KNZR the whole state is covered by 50,000 watt stations east of I-5. I wonder about LA and south, would KNZR do the job with all of the other stations down? Also how many people under 30 jeez maybe 40, know how to find these stations?

I don't care how little noise there is, none of those stations puts a signal over the Southland that can be heard in the daytime.

KNZR, at the awful 1560 frequency, has less signal towards LA than KUZZ on 550 (but neither is listenable, even with reduced noise.)

I have seven. A FM-HD Insigna (AC and battery) and a FM only Sansa Clip (battery only). Then there are the AM/FM's in the autos (4 of 'em). And not to forget the FM in my Moto G2.

With all due respect, that's just silly. You can't make that prediction. Many communities around the affected areas will continue to function at unpredictable levels. The facts are that failing utility transformers and substations around floods and earthquakes alone, will generate massive amounts of noise for miles.

Your basing your statement on the assumption that those substations will actually be receiving power -- however, transmission lines may also be down -- in many places. Which means those transformers and substations may be powerless.

While it's true that none of us have a crystal ball and can see exactly what happens during the future, the fact is that the Big One will happen and it will be disastrous. And according to the government studies I read online, the coastal areas will be powerless for weeks, or possibly months. They even mention AM radio as an important emergency information tool.

I don't care how little noise there is, none of those stations puts a signal over the Southland that can be heard in the daytime.

KNZR, at the awful 1560 frequency, has less signal towards LA than KUZZ on 550 (but neither is listenable, even with reduced noise.)

Here in earthquake territory where I live (two separate major faults), at night I can hear at least 5-6 regionals from East of the Cascades, California, and Canada on a regular basis at night. They can be heard even on a decent Walkman. It's not much different out on the coast, where the Cascadia fault will wreak more havoc. Information received at night is better than no information at all.

Here in earthquake territory where I live (two separate major faults), at night I can hear at least 5-6 regionals from East of the Cascades, California, and Canada on a regular basis at night. They can be heard even on a decent Walkman. It's not much different out on the coast, where the Cascadia fault will wreak more havoc. Information received at night is better than no information at all.

Right. At night, sure. If no radio station west of I-5 can operate (west and east in the southland probably) LA, SD, and TJ will have no radio during the day.

But after the 'Big One' or the Cascadia quake there will also be NO POWER east of I-5 so the noise floor will go down to zero.

Yeah maybe the Cascadia, in the north-west. Big One or Cascadia, most of the Central Valley will be fine.

Southern San Andreas runs through Ft. Tejon, to just west of Coalinga. Think liquefaction. The southern Central Valley will not be fine.

One of the earlier posters listed off all hos portables. All FM. Car radio is a good idea unless you have a BMW.

So for the 'big one' AM news will have to come from KOMO and for Cascadia KGO.

As BigA commented, I'm willing to bet that .0001% of the population still knows where they have a working battery powered AM-FM radio.

What is easy to predict is when the big one hits the west coast, people will default to their cell phones and will panic when they can't get a working cell. Will they then think-gee, I'll tune in KOMO from Seattle or KGO from San Francisco for news? Nope! They will wander around looking for a phone signal or curl up into the fetal position.

Southern San Andreas runs through Ft. Tejon, to just west of Coalinga. Think liquefaction. The southern Central Valley will not be fine.

One of the earlier posters listed off all hos portables. All FM. Car radio is a good idea unless you have a BMW.

So for the 'big one' AM news will have to come from KOMO and for Cascadia KGO.

Wrong. If KNBR could stay on through loma prieta, KMJ way over in Orange Cove will stay up for "the big one". Never heard of Cascadia before this thread, did some quick reading, seems that many will be effed.

I agree with Kelly A. Heck even if they knew to go try the car radio, I don't think most millennials would think of that until they were getting bored and wanted to hear some tunes. Then they would try to listen to the radio, while they charge their phones, so they can listen to their own tunes.

They will kill the car battery cause they are to stupid to start the car.

Unless it's hot or cold. They would start the car to use the heater or AC.

You're assuming the radio stations would stay on the air, their studios weren't damaged, their generators were operational, and their antennas wouldn't be damaged by the quake. Also assuming that emergency officials allowed radio employees to go to their stations. During Katrina, lots of radio employees were evacuated from their stations, and weren't allowed to return until many days later.

... and the officials learned from that.

Will everyone stay on the air? Unlikely. However, one thing Katrina did bring out was an astounding level of cooperation among competing broadcasters. Between them all, most areas managed at least some coverage. We even had a couple of our larger chains, up here in Seattle, send some of their engineers to LA to help. It may be a mess out there, but between the officials, the broadcasters and the amateurs, there will likely be way too much talent and equipment laying around for something not to get out.

In 2006 I still had a 1984 Buick. I was on my way home from the beach and happened to push a button. I think I was trying to get to Rush Limbaugh on 1110 WBT. The closest button I had available was for 1150 WBAG, which I sometimes listened to in the Greensboro area. But that station had more and more talk as the years passed. I found out 1150 WAVO in Charlotte had a stronger signal. It was a Christian station which may have had talk at that time of day, or it may have had Southern gospel music. I'm not sure. A year later I got a 1997 Mercury. Not long after that WAVO was playing standards. So it would have been nice to have that station in the same location, only I didn't. And on the way home from the beach in future years, I couldn't even pick up WBT. 50,000-watt WBT. Which I had picked up farther to the east in past years. There's some kind of screaming that sometimes clears up. It isn't as bad for some reason if I turn the air conditioning on. Fortunately, Rush had moved to FM in a nearby market. I was about to lose the signal, but there was nothing else worth hearing.

You're assuming the radio stations would stay on the air, their studios weren't damaged, their generators were operational, and their antennas wouldn't be damaged by the quake. Also assuming that emergency officials allowed radio employees to go to their stations. During Katrina, lots of radio employees were evacuated from their stations, and weren't allowed to return until many days later.

That's why it's important to get yourself a ham radio license and a decent mobile rig. If nothing else you'll improve your geek quotient and impress your friends.

If KNBR could stay on through loma prieta,

Whether a tower stays vertical is a highly uncertain thing. Here is a picture of another San Francisco station right after Loma Prieta.

Error-Tower-medium.jpg

That's why it's important to get yourself a ham radio license and a decent mobile rig. If nothing else you'll improve your geek quotient and impress your friends.

Amen! And its never been cheaper or easier to do than right now...the testing crew at your local ARRL or Ham Radio organization are pretty darned happy to help you get it as well. No need for pricey study guides when you have the magic of the Googletron at your fingertips.

My cost for an HT+upgraded antenna+license was a hair over $70. Comes with a halfway decent FM broadcast tuner built in (that can be quickly modified to transmit on those frequencies if you're into that) That's about what you'd pay for a decent portable radio that's good enough to pick up AM/SW through the muck+mire of noise these days...

In the hypothetical SHTF scenario, I'd rather be equipped with a decent ham radio and my tried and true black powder rifle than an AM/FM radio and a cache of weapons.

Radio-X

Last edited:
And after you get your ham license, especially anywhere in earthquake country, look into joinng the local RACES/ARES group. That way you can part of aiding in acquiring and disseminating information on the extent of any disaster.

And after you get your ham license, especially anywhere in earthquake country, look into joinng the local RACES/ARES group. That way you can part of aiding in acquiring and disseminating information on the extent of any disaster.

And then you can attend meetings, where grey hared white guys can argue about what color the group embroidered polo shirts will be. Important, life saving stuff like that..

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom