• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Do any stations play 70's music?

gregg75

Star Participant
The 70's seem to be in exile in Atlanta radio. Every now and then someone will go there. THEN, you travel south of the city through Newnan and pick up a station like WKEU 88.9 which thrives on 70's music. That's when you realize just what you've been missing (all the classic tracks). I'd take the 70's over Justin Bieger any day of the week!

WKEU is a non-commercial station that isn't based on advertiser support. A major market commercial FM station that seeks advertisers isn't likely to play the same music as a suburban non-com.

I do hear “Painted Black” by the Stones every couple of days on 97.1. Not sure of the date but I heard remember hearing it on my transistor radio on both WCFL and WLS when dad got transferred to Chicago. That would be between 1963 and 1968. A lot of “Southern Rock”: Almond Brothers, Marshal Tucker and Lynard Skynard was recorded in the 1970’s .

Doing the math, 1979 high school senior (18) would have been born in 1961 making him / her 56 and out of the money demos.

103.7 Chuck FM plays some 1970s disco, post-disco, and new wave pop. Not as much as they used to.

Both of the rock stations play a lot of 1970s classic rock--you name it. Rock100.5 plays less these days but they still play some. River 97.1 has added the post-Sgt. Pepper Beatles back to their playlist, so they still play plenty of 1970s. I woke up to AC/DC's "Highway to Hell" (1979) this AM.

You guys need to get a HD capable radio because WRAS HD3 has a great 70s and 80s format.

I believe it "Paint It Black."

Here's what you do. Get an old computer (Pentium 2 is fine). Download Zararadio software (its free). Then download all the mp3 songs you can from any one of the free music sites out there. Load all that up on the PC and you can make tapes (or CDs) that you can listen to in the car or whatever.
Get a PC that has a line output rather than speaker output if you are dubbing to a cassette recorder. Be sure to change the factory default blend from 8 seconds to 6 seconds.
If you don't want to do all that you can buy a radio station and program it the way you (and I) want. But that might be kind of expensive.

You guys need to get a HD capable radio because WRAS HD3 has a great 70s and 80s format.

Is the HD3 feed available online? TuneIn only has the main feed and the Album 88 HD2 feed.

I do hear “Painted Black” by the Stones every couple of days on 97.1. Not sure of the date but I heard remember hearing it on my transistor radio on both WCFL and WLS when dad got transferred to Chicago. That would be between 1963 and 1968. A lot of “Southern Rock”: Almond Brothers, Marshal Tucker and Lynard Skynard was recorded in the 1970’s .

Doing the math, 1979 high school senior (18) would have been born in 1961 making him / her 56 and out of the money demos.
Paint It Black

Is the HD3 feed available online? TuneIn only has the main feed and the Album 88 HD2 feed.

Too bad they don't stream it!
It still says "testing" so I have no idea if it is permanent or just something they threw on to make 0s and 1s. I listen quite often and am usually amazed to hear a track I haven't heard since sliced bread was invented.
I called the number listed on the WRAS website as the request line a year ago and the woman who answered had no idea what I was talking about. She didn't even understand that HER show was on the 88.5 HD2 channel!

Seems to me that you ought to be able to hear old music on an old radio. Just an idea of mine.
The oldies demographic is growing. People are living longer. Just look at our president-elect. He's 70 years old and sharp as a tack.
And he's even still got p-word on the brain.

The oldies demographic is growing. People are living longer.

Until advertisers want to reach the over-65 crowd that 60's based oldies appeal to, there will not be much of a market for that format in larger, agency-driven markets.

70's music is disappearing across the country. It's the 80's and 90's music that targets the listeners advertisers are seeking.

Aren't we still having trouble finding consensus songs from the 90s?

Classic rock stations seem to be adjusting nicely. The only classic hits/oldies station I listen to OTA here is still '60s, '70s. '80s only. I would expect a consensus to evolve -- no rap initially, but in time, when more of the target audience is accepting of hip-hop (that is, CHR listeners during the mid- and late-'90s, when hip-hop started to dominate playlists), more and more '90s titles will become acceptable, '70s will be eliminated and earlier '80s will be diminished. Time marches on.

Until advertisers want to reach the over-65 crowd that 60's based oldies appeal to, there will not be much of a market for that format in larger, agency-driven markets.

Classic rock appears to be the only partial exception--partial because it's a dwindling, but still present, part of the playlist. Unless you're in a market with a variety/adult hits station, you're not going to hear much music older than the 90s except on a classic rock station. And many classic rock stations still dabble in the 60s (usually Beatles, Stones, Hendrix, Doors, and the like).

Since this tread is heading into a money or lack of demos, I have to ask: WCBS FM does very well 6+ in NYC. They play a lot of 80's pop hits. I know this ain't New York but with all the transplants, even if you only got half or their 5.7 (6+) would there be enough money folks in the money demos to make a go of it?

Since this tread is heading into a money or lack of demos, I have to ask: WCBS FM does very well 6+ in NYC. They play a lot of 80's pop hits. I know this ain't New York but with all the transplants, even if you only got half or their 5.7 (6+) would there be enough money folks in the money demos to make a go of it?

Define "enough".

WCBS-FM is a high biller, and is around 6th in billings in the market.

But for every share of audience, they get 0.75 percent of the total market revenue. WHTZ gets 1.5% of market revenue for ever share of audience.

WLTW gets 0.9% of revenue for every share of audience. KKTU gets 1.2% of revenue for every share.

The difference here is that both WLTW, and to a greater extent, CBS-FM, have a big percentage of listeners over 55 so they get "discounted" for that unwanted audience.

WHTZ gets 1.5% of market revenue for ever share of audience.

WLTW gets 0.9% of revenue for every share of audience. WKTU gets 1.2% of revenue for every share.

Interesting post. Those three stations also happen to share the same owner. Coincidence?

Isn't that what The River does?

No, while River calls themselves "classic hits", they are really classic rock.

And, while you suggested before that Chuck FM 103.7 was already doing classic hits IN the Atlanta market, they only cover less than a quarter of the ATL geography and don't show up in the ATL ratings. Cox has them in their "North Georgia" cluster, not their "Atlanta" cluster.

Question for The Big A: How familiar are you with the ATL dialscape?

Side note: River seems to be adding back 60s material in the last few months or so (woke up this morning to "Hello I Love You" by the Doors). Might be to differentiate themselves from Rock100.5, which has been going the opposite direction, adding more 90s/00s stuff.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom