Do any stations play 70's music? - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Do any stations play 70's music?

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA View Post
    That's your opinion. The fact is that any company that donates money to a non-profit is providing support. So nobody is disguising anything. They're stating facts. People donate money to lots of things, and they typically get something in return. That includes churches, colleges, and political parties.

The bottom line is that a typical commercial station runs about 12 to 14 minutes of spots an hour. The typical non-commercial runs less than 2 minutes of funding announcements an hour. Very big difference. What they say is strictly regulated, and if they go outside the bounds of the law, they get fined. If anyone has a complaint about any of the non-coms in Atlanta, you're welcome to file a complaint with the FCC.
    Underwriting R&R have been relaxed greatly in the past 10 years for non comms but they still must avoid any "call to action." There are several Atlanta area non comms that blatantly disregard the rule. I have never heard WABE or GPB violate the rule.

Quote Originally Posted by wavo View Post
    Underwriting R&R have been relaxed greatly in the past 10 years for non comms but they still must avoid any "call to action." There are several Atlanta area non comms that blatantly disregard the rule. I have never heard WABE or GPB violate the rule.
    I see drivers who blatantly drive faster than the speed limit. The FCC responds to complaints. File a complaint.

Regardless, this is not a commercial station. Breaking the law doesn't change its status.

Moderator/Assistant Administrator
    That's your opinion. The fact is that any company that donates money to a non-profit is providing support. So nobody is disguising anything. They're stating facts. People donate money to lots of things, and they typically get something in return. That includes churches, colleges, and political parties.

The bottom line is that a typical commercial station runs about 12 to 14 minutes of spots an hour. The typical non-commercial runs less than 2 minutes of funding announcements an hour. Very big difference. What they say is strictly regulated, and if they go outside the bounds of the law, they get fined. If anyone has a complaint about any of the non-coms in Atlanta, you're welcome to file a complaint with the FCC.
    There is a group of stations in NV, CA and AZ owned by a well known union group which runs 8 to 12 minutes of ads an hour on its non-coms, including not very well disguised calls to action "visit us and see..."), product comparisons ("the best...") and even price-item mentions ($1,000 cash back..."). This has been going on for nearly two decades at the oldest stations. No action has been taken, irrespective of the party in power.

Caveat: I have not listened for more than a year as I moved away from the service area of one of the stations, so they may have "seen the light" but I doubt it.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, RCA Broadcast News, Television Magazine, Radio Annual, Radio News, Sponsor, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, M Street Directory, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

I see drivers who blatantly drive faster than the speed limit. The FCC responds to complaints. File a complaint.

Regardless, this is not a commercial station. Breaking the law doesn't change its status.
    I have no dog in this fight so I could care less if they follow the rules. It was simply an observation....

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post

There is a group of stations in NV, CA and AZ owned by a well known union group which runs 8 to 12 minutes of ads an hour on its non-coms, including not very well disguised calls to action "visit us and see..."), product comparisons ("the best...") and even price-item mentions ($1,000 cash back..."). This has been going on for nearly two decades at the oldest stations. No action has been taken, irrespective of the party in power.

Caveat: I have not listened for more than a year as I moved away from the service area of one of the stations, so they may have "seen the light" but I doubt it.
    David - do you know if anyone has ever filed a formal or informal complaint with the FCC?

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post
    No action has been taken, irrespective of the party in power.
    And no action WILL be taken unless someone complains. That includes competing commercial licensees.

Quote Originally Posted by wavo View Post
    You are correct. The limits are wider now, and WABE and GPB do not violate the rules.

All WKEU "commercials" are local and anything from real estate to autos and resturants. For a non-profit they sure appear to be making money (at least more than it looks like is needed to run a non-profit station).
    USA Dance Mix Atlanta's 24/7 streaming Dance station. (Dance-Disco-House 1977 to today) iTUNES (Electronica section), Tunein, Streema, Nobex, Ootunes, etc.

Windows Media Player
    http://panel9.serverhostingcenter.co...n/zlqkzgeq.asx
    Winamp Player
    http://panel9.serverhostingcenter.co...n/zlqkzgeq.pls
    Real Player
    http://panel9.serverhostingcenter.co...n/zlqkzgeq.ram
    Quicktime Player
    http://panel9.serverhostingcenter.co...n/zlqkzgeq.qtl

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234