• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

101.5 The Rhythm | Queens, New York is COMING SOON!

101.5 in Queens is a translator apparently transmitting one of the WVIP HD channels. None of their HD channels are currently airing any such format so perhaps something is in the works. I haven't been able to find any further information anywhere.

101.5 in Queens is a translator apparently transmitting one of the WVIP HD channels. None of their HD channels are currently airing any such format so perhaps something is in the works. I haven't been able to find any further information anywhere.

Wouldn't this 101.5 in Queens interfere with WKXW or WPDH?

For reasons known best to former FCC Chairman Bill Kennard, and to the NAB, and doubtless to concerned others who piled on, 'translator' stations are immune to the rules that were instituted to smother the original wave of LPFM applicants.

Basically, translators are allowed to be directional. Those 'borderline-pirate' LPFM stations had to be omni. No exceptions. That's what the rules read.
Not just that, but some of these translators serving NYC in between the other existing full-power FM's (and in other markets as well) are allowed higher ERP than any of the LPFMs were.

So the denouement is that the 101.5 in Queens can be directional to avoid hassles with Poughkeepsie and Trenton.

The way I read it : Same engineers, working amid different rules.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom