• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

W288DD translating WINZ

W288DD now seems to be translating WINZ.

And what frequency is that?

Channel 288.

"In the United States, frequency-modulated broadcasting stations operate in a frequency band extending from 87.8 MHz to 108.0 MHz, for a total of 20.2 MHz. It is divided into 101 channels, each 0.2 MHz wide, designated "channel 200" through "channel 300." In actual practice, no one except the FCC uses these channel numbers; the frequencies are used instead. "

Last edited:

Channel 288.

"In the United States, frequency-modulated broadcasting stations operate in a frequency band extending from 87.8 MHz to 108.0 MHz, for a total of 20.2 MHz. It is divided into 101 channels, each 0.2 MHz wide, designated "channel 200" through "channel 300." In actual practice, no one except the FCC uses these channel numbers; the frequencies are used instead. "

Umm... ? I said frequency, not channel number. I wouldn't know where Channel 288 is.

Umm... ? I said frequency, not channel number. I wouldn't know where Channel 288 is.

Translators are identified by the channel number they are on and two random letters. 288 is 105.5.

What's the frequency Kenneth, and what is it translating to. :)

Translators are identified by the channel number they are on and two random letters. 288 is 105.5.

Okay. Much better. Thanks. So now WINZ is on 105.5 FM as well? Hmm... willing to give that a try since WAXY is no longer on FM.

Just for future reference, the channels always advance in numerical order, so ch. 288 will always lie between channels 287 and 289.

Except in the Southern Hemisphere, where they are in reverse order.

Just for future reference, the channels always advance in numerical order, so ch. 288 will always lie between channels 287 and 289.

I only know frequencies, not channel numbers like the majority of Americans.

Except in the Southern Hemisphere, where they are in reverse order.
So down there, instead of channel 288 being between channels 287 and 289, channel 13 would be between 14 and 12, like water going down a drain in the southern hemisphere.
This actually makes sense because the aircraft nav band is written in stone, but the area between 76 and 88 MHz (or between 88 and 76 MHz) is up to local discretion.
Here is an illustration of Anders Celsius's original thermometer. Note the reversed scale, where 0° is the boiling point of water and 100° is its freezing point, here.

Last edited:
WINZ ,the third Sports station in Miami never gets higher than a .3. The three sports stations have nice signals 560,790 and 940. If you are in Broward you can add 640 to the mix. Two sports stations are enough for any market. I guess WINZ survives because nothing else is there to take it's place except brokered/religious with English language programming. If you have an HD radio 790 simulcasts their programming on 104.3. Until the Shark took over 790 simulcast on their main signal.

Interesting, Edgewater had been carrying Christian programming on that translator up to this point. I can only wonder what led to the change but I notice the 940 website doesn't mention the new FM option. Maybe that will change. Unfortunately here in west-central Broward W288DD comes in about as well as 940 WINZ does after dark. My radios in the house pull actually pull in WOLL 105.5 out of Hobe Sound (!) better than W288DD and in the car the two signals fight with each other. On the AM side, even with the longstanding STA to run 25kw at night the station pretty much vanishes after sundown, even on my Superadio. Anyone in south Broward or in Dade have any problems at night?

I guess WINZ survives because nothing else is there to take it's place except brokered/religious with English language programming

Does anyone know if Defo and Slater are iHeart staffers or do they broker the time? Not commenting on their talent, of course, just curious how they're able to pay those guys, pay for the Marlins rights, and remain competitive in such a crowded sports radio market. And if I recall correctly WINZ did go brokered in the days after Supertalk and before their first attempt at Fox Sports as WRFX, which was in turn blown up for Air America.

Aaaand, WINZ is on W233AP 94.5 out of Oakland Park as well. Comes in decently in W. Broward. Very interesting. They may also be on W219DP 91.7 in Deerfield which would give them coverage of the metro areas of Broward.

Last edited:
Well, that's something I didn't know. There can be no commercial American FM stations below 92.1. But you can have a translator at 91.7 airing commercial programming? (I'm not counting what are called "Franken FMs," using the audio from analog Channel 6 to create a commercial FM station at 87.7.)

According to radio-locator.com, the three translators (91.7, 94.5 and 105.5) are supposed to rebroadcast WZTU 94.9. But WZTU runs 98,000 watts from 1007 feet above average terrain, so it really doesn't need that help. 940 WINZ is an AM Sports station that runs 50,000 watts non-directional by day, audible in Fort Myers and down into the Florida Keys, but must reduce to 10,000 watts directional at night. (Radio-Locator doesn't mention any STA allowing 25,000 watts at night.) So I suppose iHeart figured WINZ needs those translators more than WZTU.

Well, that's something I didn't know. There can be no commercial American FM stations below 92.1. But you can have a translator at 91.7 airing commercial programming? (I'm not counting what are called "Franken FMs," using the audio from analog Channel 6 to create a commercial FM station at 87.7.)

They could request a waiver from the FCC to put commercial programming on a reserved band translator but I don't know for certain if WINZ is in fact on 91.7 as I'm too far from the station to hear it for myself.

According to radio-locator.com, the three translators (91.7, 94.5 and 105.5) are supposed to rebroadcast WZTU 94.9. But WZTU runs 98,000 watts from 1007 feet above average terrain, so it really doesn't need that help. 940 WINZ is an AM Sports station that runs 50,000 watts non-directional by day, audible in Fort Myers and down into the Florida Keys, but must reduce to 10,000 watts directional at night. (Radio-Locator doesn't mention any STA allowing 25,000 watts at night.) So I suppose iHeart figured WINZ needs those translators more than WZTU.

WINZ is probably on WZTU HD-2 and that is the signal that feeds the translators

Reach-FM was on WZTU-HD2, but Radio-Locator's info is likely out of date, the stations translate WINZ.
If someone has an HD receiver, please check to see if WINZ is on WZTU-HD2.
Reach-FM is chaptered, but they might have a successor organization.
A translator on channel 219 cannot run commercial programming.

Reach-FM was on WZTU-HD2, but Radio-Locator's info is likely out of date, the stations translate WINZ.
If someone has an HD receiver, please check to see if WINZ is on WZTU-HD2.
Reach-FM is chaptered, but they might have a successor organization.
A translator on channel 219 cannot run commercial programming.

I have an HD Radio portable home receiver and can CONFIRM that 940 WINZ is now on 94.9 WZTU-HD2.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom