• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

W288DD translating WINZ

I was in N. Broward, S. Palm Beach this morning and Edgewater is still on 91.7. If WINZ will be on the other two translators permanently then it must be a soft launch because the website, Twitter and FB for WINZ make no mention of it as of this morning. Either way it would be nice to finally be able to get the Marlins on the radio at night where I live. They don't give me much of a reason to listen, but still...

So all three AM Sports stations are now on HD2 signals. HD radios are becoming more commonplace. I have one in my car and I just bought the new Sangean HDR 16, a portable AM FM HD receiver. Best use of HD in Miami is 105.1's Classic Soul format. I heard it last month.I'll be heading down in two weeks. I hope it is still there. IHeart runs a Standards channel. With a lot of seniors in South Florida that would be a natural for one of the IHeart stations. I heard it on the HD2 channel of a Raleigh NC station. Sounded great.

So all three AM Sports stations are now on HD2 signals. HD radios are becoming more commonplace. I have one in my car and I just bought the new Sangean HDR 16, a portable AM FM HD receiver. Best use of HD in Miami is 105.1's Classic Soul format. I heard it last month.I'll be heading down in two weeks. I hope it is still there. IHeart runs a Standards channel. With a lot of seniors in South Florida that would be a natural for one of the IHeart stations. I heard it on the HD2 channel of a Raleigh NC station. Sounded great.

Yep!

940 WINZ Miami Sports on TU 94.9-HD2
560 WQAM Sportsradio on Power 96.5-HD2
790 The Ticket on 104.3 The Shark-HD2

Best use of HD in Miami is 105.1's Classic Soul format. I heard it last month.I'll be heading down in two weeks.
Soulfire is the longest continuously running original subchannel in Miami. WLRN has Classical 24.

Listening to the Marlins v Mets game on 94.5 FM and it sounds great. WINZ still doesn't seem to be promoting the FM service on the air or on the web so is this just a placeholder until someone leases the HD signal that feeds the translator?

WINZ still doesn't seem to be promoting the FM service on the air or on the web so is this just a placeholder until someone leases the HD signal that feeds the translator?
TranslatorS
Seems that way for both of them.

Last edited:
WINZ has been on an STA since 1981 operating with 25,000 watts night, while the increase from 10,000 watts to 25,000 watts seems like a lot, the problem is their interference free contour which is 18.7 Mv/M, and the STA was to recover lost signal from then Cuban Interference emanating from a N-DA 10,000 watt on 940 in southeast Cuba. The intent was to recover as much Broward as possible, and it helped, but today's massive interference has killed all the gains.

WINZ has been on an STA since 1981 operating with 25,000 watts night, while the increase from 10,000 watts to 25,000 watts seems like a lot, the problem is their interference free contour which is 18.7 Mv/M, and the STA was to recover lost signal from then Cuban Interference emanating from a N-DA 10,000 watt on 940 in southeast Cuba. The intent was to recover as much Broward as possible, and it helped, but today's massive interference has killed all the gains.
Unfortunately for them as the population pushed further into western Broward reception in the areas west of University suffered, even with the STA. I've said elsewhere that I can get WMEN in Royal Palm better day and night near Sawgrass Mills than WINZ, especially after dark. And that's on a SuperRadio!

They cannot move west because they have a partial null toward WIPR, San Juan.
I do not know why they do not use their existing towers to enhance their North and South day signal.

They cannot move west because they have a partial null toward WIPR, San Juan.
I do not know why they do not use their existing towers to enhance their North and South day signal.
They likely need to protect WZCC in Chiefland which is in the Big Bend area

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom