Can just one song make or break a station for you?
Results 1 to 10 of 33

Thread: Can just one song make or break a station for you?

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    Can just one song make or break a station for you?

    If a station has just one song in their playlist that you either really like or really hate, does it cause you to tune in or tune out of said radio station? For example, for me, any station that has Meghan Trainor in power rotation immediately goes off my presets until her song is off the charts. What about you?

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by tall_guy1 View Post
    If a station has just one song in their playlist that you either really like or really hate, does it cause you to tune in or tune out of said radio station? For example, for me, any station that has Meghan Trainor in power rotation immediately goes off my presets until her song is off the charts. What about you?
    That's pretty extreme. I'd say you are one of a very tiny number of radio users who do that. Most have stations they like and stick with those stations even if one performer who fits a certain station's format puts out a song they don't like.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Southington, Connecticut
    Posts
    8,924
    No. I'll just change the station if I hear a song I don't like. Anything by Nikki Minaj. Along with Hotel California and Magic Carpet Ride. I do have my own personal list of songs I would never care to hear ever again.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcB View Post
    No. I'll just change the station if I hear a song I don't like. Anything by Nikki Minaj. Along with Hotel California and Magic Carpet Ride. I do have my own personal list of songs I would never care to hear ever again.
    Funny, you just named two of my favorite songs although I agree with you on Nikki Minaj (and a whole host of her contemporaries).

    You, being from CT, might explain why you don't like those two songs.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Yakima, WA
    Posts
    8,811
    I don't listen to top 40/CHR for this purpose. Or most of today's country music.
    I change the channel every time I start hearing "Ice Ice Baby" by Vanilla Ice on my local rhythmic oldies station. Gosh, what a trainwreck, no matter how old it is.
    Oldies? I tune out of the 1723rd playing of Only the Good Die Young. I'm surprised the song isn't skipping and sticking by now with how many tens of thousands of plays it has received since the '70s. And Dancing Queen, and Hotel California, and Sweet Home Alabama...sure, sure, great songs. But played way too much.
    737 AM's in the log, 614 FMs (250 from Western WA), That's a DXer!
    FM, AM and SW DXer of Yakima, WA! God Bless America!
    Last New FM Log: 93.9 KSOU Sioux Center, IA; 8/13/17
    Last New AM Log: 610 KAVL Lancaster, CA; 9/7/17.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by crainbebo View Post
    I don't listen to top 40/CHR for this purpose. Or most of today's country music.
    I change the channel every time I start hearing "Ice Ice Baby" by Vanilla Ice on my local rhythmic oldies station. Gosh, what a trainwreck, no matter how old it is.
    Oldies? I tune out of the 1723rd playing of Only the Good Die Young. I'm surprised the song isn't skipping and sticking by now with how many tens of thousands of plays it has received since the '70s. And Dancing Queen, and Hotel California, and Sweet Home Alabama...sure, sure, great songs. But played way too much.
    Your complaint is exactly why I prefer listening to my own library instead of the 200-300 song rotation of most broadcast stations.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcB View Post
    No. I'll just change the station if I hear a song I don't like. Anything by Nikki Minaj. Along with Hotel California and Magic Carpet Ride. I do have my own personal list of songs I would never care to hear ever again.
    America's Best Music (KKOV online) has "Waiting for a Girl Like You" by Foreigner and "Making Love Out of Nothing at All" by Air Supply, which will absolutely make me "change" the station. I heard the Foreigner song on "Scream Queens" and I'm not exaggerating. I don't listen to any other online stations, so I just turn the sound off. I just heard "I'm Not in Love" by 10CC which is pretty close and "Paradise" by Sade. Other songs that really don't belong are "I'm on Fire" by Bruce Springsteen and "Almost Paradise" by Mike Reno and Ann Wilson. What are the people in charge of this music THINKING? Nat King Cole, Perry Como, Frank Sinatra and Tony Bennett are still there. Harrison Ford got away but Tommy Lee Jones kept chasing him.

    I'm more tolerant on the oldies station that used to be America's Best Music, but when I heard "Cold As Ice" by Foreigner, I knew I was not dealing with something I could live with. I keep coming back to this station hoping to hear good songs, but it doesn't always happen. "Sweet Emotion" and "Dream On" by Aerosmith and "Frankenstein" by Edgar Winter are among the songs that I will not tolerate. "Hotel California", interestingly, is one I like.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by vchimpanzee View Post
    America's Best Music (KKOV online) has "Waiting for a Girl Like You" by Foreigner and "Making Love Out of Nothing at All" by Air Supply, which will absolutely make me "change" the station. I heard the Foreigner song on "Scream Queens" and I'm not exaggerating. I don't listen to any other online stations, so I just turn the sound off. I just heard "I'm Not in Love" by 10CC which is pretty close and "Paradise" by Sade. Other songs that really don't belong are "I'm on Fire" by Bruce Springsteen and "Almost Paradise" by Mike Reno and Ann Wilson. What are the people in charge of this music THINKING? Nat King Cole, Perry Como, Frank Sinatra and Tony Bennett are still there. Harrison Ford got away but Tommy Lee Jones kept chasing him.

    I'm more tolerant on the oldies station that used to be America's Best Music, but when I heard "Cold As Ice" by Foreigner, I knew I was not dealing with something I could live with. I keep coming back to this station hoping to hear good songs, but it doesn't always happen. "Sweet Emotion" and "Dream On" by Aerosmith and "Frankenstein" by Edgar Winter are among the songs that I will not tolerate. "Hotel California", interestingly, is one I like.
    The demo that listened to Air Supply and foreigner is now reaching the target demo of America's Best Music. They will tolerate some sinatra and Bennett selections (from listening with their parents). Cold as ice is probably something that was slipped in during a local daypart ?
    WLYB FM
    96.3 Demopolis AL.
    100.5 Meridian Mississippi.

    WRYC FM
    92.5 Frisco City/Monroeville

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Groove1670 View Post
    The demo that listened to Air Supply and foreigner is now reaching the target demo of America's Best Music. They will tolerate some sinatra and Bennett selections (from listening with their parents). Cold as ice is probably something that was slipped in during a local daypart ?
    Air Supply and Foreigner's hit-making years overlapped. Many of their songs were played on the same stations at the same time. Why wouldn't the targeted female listener who liked both "Cold As Ice" in 1977 and "All Out of Love" in 1980 not want to hear both in a nostalgia format in 2017?

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Groove1670 View Post
    The demo that listened to Air Supply and foreigner is now reaching the target demo of America's Best Music. They will tolerate some sinatra and Bennett selections (from listening with their parents). Cold as ice is probably something that was slipped in during a local daypart ?
    I was describing two separate stations. The one that was playing Sinatra and Bennett (mostly from satellite but also on the morning how) might still do so on the local morning show though I haven't heard them. Actual oldies stations have been known to play Sinatra, but not this one, any more. When they are doing the satellite format now, "Cold As Ice" is there. And I now realize I have to turn off the audio from KKOV but that terrible Air Supply song just started.

    The station playing "Cold As Ice" never played the Air Supply and Foreigner songs when they used the satellite format on KKOV because they weren't there.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  




     
Our Conferences
Useful Contacts
Community


Contact Us