Can just one song make or break a station for you?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can just one song make or break a station for you?

Can just one song make or break a station for you?

If a station has just one song in their playlist that you either really like or really hate, does it cause you to tune in or tune out of said radio station? For example, for me, any station that has Meghan Trainor in power rotation immediately goes off my presets until her song is off the charts. What about you?

Quote Originally Posted by tall_guy1 View Post
    If a station has just one song in their playlist that you either really like or really hate, does it cause you to tune in or tune out of said radio station? For example, for me, any station that has Meghan Trainor in power rotation immediately goes off my presets until her song is off the charts. What about you?
    That's pretty extreme. I'd say you are one of a very tiny number of radio users who do that. Most have stations they like and stick with those stations even if one performer who fits a certain station's format puts out a song they don't like.

No. I'll just change the station if I hear a song I don't like. Anything by Nikki Minaj. Along with Hotel California and Magic Carpet Ride. I do have my own personal list of songs I would never care to hear ever again.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcB View Post
    No. I'll just change the station if I hear a song I don't like. Anything by Nikki Minaj. Along with Hotel California and Magic Carpet Ride. I do have my own personal list of songs I would never care to hear ever again.
    Funny, you just named two of my favorite songs although I agree with you on Nikki Minaj (and a whole host of her contemporaries).

You, being from CT, might explain why you don't like those two songs.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

I don't listen to top 40/CHR for this purpose. Or most of today's country music.
    I change the channel every time I start hearing "Ice Ice Baby" by Vanilla Ice on my local rhythmic oldies station. Gosh, what a trainwreck, no matter how old it is.
    Oldies? I tune out of the 1723rd playing of Only the Good Die Young. I'm surprised the song isn't skipping and sticking by now with how many tens of thousands of plays it has received since the '70s. And Dancing Queen, and Hotel California, and Sweet Home Alabama...sure, sure, great songs. But played way too much.
    734 AM's in the log, 554 FMs (250 from Western WA), That's a DXer!
    FM, AM and SW DXer of Yakima, WA! God Bless America!
    Last New FM Log: 90.7 XHTIM-BCN, 95.9 KFSH-CA, 95.1 KBBY-CA and 88.3 KAXL-CA; 6/8/17 E-skip
    Last New AM Log: KUKI-1400 Ukiah, CA 3/26/17

Quote Originally Posted by crainbebo View Post
    I don't listen to top 40/CHR for this purpose. Or most of today's country music.
    I change the channel every time I start hearing "Ice Ice Baby" by Vanilla Ice on my local rhythmic oldies station. Gosh, what a trainwreck, no matter how old it is.
    Oldies? I tune out of the 1723rd playing of Only the Good Die Young. I'm surprised the song isn't skipping and sticking by now with how many tens of thousands of plays it has received since the '70s. And Dancing Queen, and Hotel California, and Sweet Home Alabama...sure, sure, great songs. But played way too much.
    Your complaint is exactly why I prefer listening to my own library instead of the 200-300 song rotation of most broadcast stations.

Quote Originally Posted by landtuna View Post
    Your complaint is exactly why I prefer listening to my own library instead of the 200-300 song rotation of most broadcast stations.
    The tightest playlist I've ever run into on a classic hits station is about 500. Some of the tracks are indeed played more often than others, especially, I've found, during dayparts with peak listenership, which is probably why you're hearing "Hotel California" so often. Middays, nights, graveyard shift, that when the "other" 200 songs are spun more frequently. It's all about making sure the songs with the fewest negatives reach the most ears.

Quote Originally Posted by CTListener View Post
    The tightest playlist I've ever run into on a classic hits station is about 500. Some of the tracks are indeed played more often than others, especially, I've found, during dayparts with peak listenership, which is probably why you're hearing "Hotel California" so often. Middays, nights, graveyard shift, that when the "other" 200 songs are spun more frequently. It's all about making sure the songs with the fewest negatives reach the most ears.
    The member complaining was crainbebo, not I. "Hotel California" can spin many more times before I tire of it. But then.....I lived in California so I understand it.

I'm listening to the online stream of Kool 104.3 the Oldies station in the Westerly market and I just heard another one I can't stand. "American Woman."

Quote Originally Posted by MarcB View Post
    America's Best Music (KKOV online) has "Waiting for a Girl Like You" by Foreigner and "Making Love Out of Nothing at All" by Air Supply, which will absolutely make me "change" the station. I heard the Foreigner song on "Scream Queens" and I'm not exaggerating. I don't listen to any other online stations, so I just turn the sound off. I just heard "I'm Not in Love" by 10CC which is pretty close and "Paradise" by Sade. Other songs that really don't belong are "I'm on Fire" by Bruce Springsteen and "Almost Paradise" by Mike Reno and Ann Wilson. What are the people in charge of this music THINKING? Nat King Cole, Perry Como, Frank Sinatra and Tony Bennett are still there. Harrison Ford got away but Tommy Lee Jones kept chasing him.

I'm more tolerant on the oldies station that used to be America's Best Music, but when I heard "Cold As Ice" by Foreigner, I knew I was not dealing with something I could live with. I keep coming back to this station hoping to hear good songs, but it doesn't always happen. "Sweet Emotion" and "Dream On" by Aerosmith and "Frankenstein" by Edgar Winter are among the songs that I will not tolerate. "Hotel California", interestingly, is one I like.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast