• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Boom 94.5 Dallas houston

Mrtejano

Star Participant
I am listening to BOOM 94.5 from Dallas here in houston but on 91.9 FM

Well I was listening to it on 91.9 FM but as I was writing this the station went off the air.

According to a post on McGuff's site, the signal is eminating from a tower near I-45 and Crosstimbers. Does this ring a bell for anyone? The top of the tower was destroyed in a storm. How about now? He, himself, has stated that he'll be launching a localized classic hip hop format on the frequency in the next few weeks. Boom.

Last edited:
Thought that was gonna happen on the frequency he uses now; if he is using 91.9 that will surely bring the FCC in..(not mentioning names or frequency as required by the rules LOL)

Thought that was gonna happen on the frequency he uses now; if he is using 91.9 that will surely bring the FCC in..(not mentioning names or frequency as required by the rules LOL)

Not on 91.9 anymore it's back on the other signal we can't mention.

:cool: Its MAGIC now You hear it, now You don't, and don't worry about the FCC getting involved they couldn't catch a COLD right now, and they would haft to get permission from DC to do that, now if You start jamming flight services all bets are off, they will come after you, as they should. but it may not be fast. took over two years to shut down the Police Channel jammer in Houston. and the local Office had lots of Ham operator assistance in doing it.

Speaking of Dallas, Texas....music format programmers should take note of
KAAM, Dallas......that format could work for Houston as well......

That format doesn't even work in Dallas. The only reason KAAM is on the air is thanks to the paid-for colon blow shows.

The station averages about 300 listeners in the 6 AM to Midnight period, all over 55.

The #1 station averages 27,000 persons,.

Au contraire. Djrd Broadcasting is very, very successful.
Perhaps they know better in their music format!

Define "very, very successful".

DJRD has only one adult standards station our of a grand total of four stations they own. It ranks below 40th in the Dallas market, with essentially all its listeners over 65. If frugally operated it may make a small profit but it's programmed at an age group nearly no advertiser wants to reach.

As mentioned, the revenue source is predominantly the infomercials they run.

Heard that Sarah Pepper is going to be working for Iheart now. She will be on 93.7 The Beat.

The station averages about 300 listeners in the 6 AM to Midnight period, all over 55.

The #1 station averages 27,000 persons,.

That is still probably more than some of the translators around here. And I wonder about that 300 estimate. Sounds low to me, especially when I know more than one listener down here, who are willing to put up with the weak signal.

That is still probably more than some of the translators around here. And I wonder about that 300 estimate. Sounds low to me, especially when I know more than one listener down here, who are willing to put up with the weak signal.

The ratings for the Dallas MSA do not include Houston. Or DXers.

The ratings for the Dallas MSA do not include Houston. Or DXers.

There seems to be a loyalty factor not factored into ratings. People who are fanatical enough to listen to a station even if conditions are not ideal. KAAM has problems with coverage even in the Metroplex, but the listeners remain loyal. Suppose the number 300 is accurate, you have a loyalty factor as well that would motivate them to buy from advertisers more than just normal commercial listening would induce sales. So even if the number is small, if advertisers see a disproportionate number of sales due to ads, 300 might be enough to support the format. It has certainly been around for a while, which means it is self supporting - if barely. The station certainly has fanatical fans down here, mostly nighttime - but I was PAID by one guy who wanted a setup capable of receiving the station day and night. Now THAT is fanatical! Not really my taste in music, but it does seem to inspire loyalty among those who like it.

There is nothing unique to fanaticism - I had a nice little side income setting Calvary Chapel Dallas listeners up with systems capable of getting KDKR long before their power boost. It was downright deep fringe in Plano, but those Calvary Chapel folks were incredibly fanatical. I lost count of how many yagi's I installed and how many classic tuners / receivers I got off eBay for them. Crazy stuff, the station sucked for anybody not in that sect.

There seems to be a loyalty factor not factored into ratings. People who are fanatical enough to listen to a station even if conditions are not ideal. KAAM has problems with coverage even in the Metroplex, but the listeners remain loyal. Suppose the number 300 is accurate, you have a loyalty factor as well that would motivate them to buy from advertisers more than just normal commercial listening would induce sales.

This is sometimes called "engagement" in the industry. A few years back, when PPM was still new, I was on a committee formed by Arbitron of representatives from the media buying sector (agencies and buying services) and radio about the development of an engagement metric.

Nothing came of it. They buyers did not really want another metric they would have to analyze and radio did not want something that would be used as a bargaining tool. But, mostly, the preliminary research showed that consumers bought more things advertised on the station you listened to most, irrespective of format. In other words, every station has a core of loyalists who listen a lot, and they hear more of the station's ads and thus respond to them more than they do to stations they hear very little.

That's why it appears that most of KAAM's revenue comes from paid programs and infomercials.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom