• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

860 back to sports fulltime?

KeithE4

Walk of Fame Participant
Arizona Sports 98.7 is now ID'ing as KMVP-AM and FM. And sure enough, 860 is now simulcasting 98.7, but they will be airing the ASU/Colorado game tonight while 98.7 carries the Suns. Did the gospel folks not renew their LMA, or wasn't it offered to them for 2017?

Yes indeedy, the same over modulated and distorted legal ID heard on Sports Parking Lot 98~Seven is once again heard on Sports Parking Lot 8~Sixty. You may axe Los Buckeye Boyz why? Here are a few possible reasons:

1) While Jesus saves, the Gospel LMA folks may not have saved enough to pay the rent

2) TMISU may have finally found a buyer for this While Elephant and don't want an LMA holdover gumming up the works

3) TMISU may have realized locking up all the sports teams in the Valley is good business, but farming them out to other stations when there's a conflict is not. This scenario implies they hang on to 8~Sixty and use it as an overflow Sports Parking Lot.

4) In a highly convoluted deal, TMISU are purchasing 15~Eighty from the guy who owns 15~Ten, who just bought it from the guy who owns 12~Eighty. They decide to move the xmttr back to Mesa and install six new sticks and resurrect the 50kw night signal. Thus 15~Eighty becomes the Valley's only 50kw (day and night) blowtorch Sports Parking Lot - take that, I ♥ Debt!

5) None of the above.

They have so many teams under contract that they may need 4 signals (including 92.3) to handle the conflicts. Come March, if ASU manages to get to one of the tournaments, there could be a possibility of them, the Suns, the Coyotes, and the D'backs all playing at the same time.

The ASU game just ended. Now it's dead air while 620 and 98.7 air ESPN Radio.

Well, the webstream of gospel860 continues to (holy) roll for whatever it's worth.

They've got an Avondale address. I'll dispatch Nurse Jeff in the Gremlin to find out What In the Wide, Wide World of Sports is a goin' on. We must make 8~Sixty great again!

Arizona Sports 98.7 is now ID'ing as KMVP-AM and FM. And sure enough, 860 is now simulcasting 98.7, but they will be airing the ASU/Colorado game tonight while 98.7 carries the Suns...

Was KT'R 620 too busy carrying the holy grail (ESPN network radio feed) that they couldn't air the ASU game? I'd not be too happy if I was the team relegated to "The Big" 860!

And Keith, was it a legitimate dual ID they ran? (Not the illegitimate "AM & FM" crap.)

Was KT'R 620 too busy carrying the holy grail (ESPN network radio feed) that they couldn't air the ASU game? I'd not be too happy if I was the team relegated to "The Big" 860!

Apparently. Could be a contract issue as well, although they had no problem interrupting ESPN Radio's bowl coverage for the pathetic Coyotes and Suns (see also, 98.7).

And Keith, was it a legitimate dual ID they ran? (Not the illegitimate "AM & FM" crap.)

They ID'ed as "KMVP AM & FM, Phoenix." Since when is that illegitimate? I thought that was OK by the FCC since simulcasts have done this for decades.

They ID'ed as "KMVP AM & FM, Phoenix." Since when is that illegitimate? I thought that was OK by the FCC since simulcasts have done this for decades.

No problema. Maybe he wanted to hear KIFN & KBBC, Phoenix??

We did a lot of back-and-forth on this board (or its predecessor) I'm guessing five or six years ago on the legal ID subject--things like "KSLX Scottsdale(/Phoenix)" is not a legal ID as the calls are legally "KSLX-FM Scottsdale(/Phoenix)" (look it up on the FCC FM Query site). Or how to do a simulcast legal ID (not "KMVP AM & FM Phoenix", but rather "KMVP Phoenix, KMVP-FM Phoenix" (or in reverse order, but giving the ID for each station separately).

The FCC probably doesn't care anymore and wouldn't squawk...they're too busy trying to run a gutted operation (think: field offices closures and "how many commissioners do we have left today?").

Last edited:
We did a lot of back-and-forth on this board (or its predecessor) I'm guessing five or six years ago on the legal ID subject--things like "KSLX Scottsdale(/Phoenix)" is not a legal ID as the calls are legally "KSLX-FM Scottsdale(/Phoenix)" (look it up on the FCC FM Query site). Or how to do a simulcast legal ID (not "KMVP AM & FM Phoenix", but rather "KMVP Phoenix, KMVP-FM Phoenix" (or in reverse order, but giving the ID for each station separately).

The FCC probably doesn't care anymore and wouldn't squawk...they're too busy trying to run a gutted operation (think: field offices closures and "how many commissioners do we have left today?").

As long as there's no confusion, and the City of License is given (such as "KTAR-FM Glendale/Phoenix"), it really doesn't matter. The listeners, the advertisers, and the FCC know what they're talking about. Nobody squawks about Ancient Modulation stations ID'ing as "KTAR-AM" or "WBBM-AM" (which the Chicago station did for many years, beginning in the late 1970s), because everybody knows they're on AM.

I'm willing to bet that if KEZ actually ID'ed as "KEZ Phoenix" instead of KESZ, nobody would care, even though that is definitely incorrect.

I'm willing to bet that if KEZ actually ID'ed as "KEZ Phoenix" instead of KESZ, nobody would care, even though that is definitely incorrect.

I wouldn't go that far. That's a little too blatant.

From my understanding of things, the field offices won't write a ticket just for a TOH, but not doing a TOH would invite an inspection and lead to further scrutiny because if you can't get the simple things right, you can't get the difficult stuff right.

But when you ID an AM/FM combo as did (sing the jingle as they did back in the 80's) "KOPA FM AM Scottsdale" you'd really have to p*ss off the FCC to get written up.

It really doesn't matter if the FM calls come before the AM, or the city of license is used once for two stations licensed to the same city. In fact, the FCC allows licensees to self promote if they wish: KFZZ FM & AM, a Media Hut Broadcasting Company station, Buckeye...and soon the world!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom