• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

96.5 AMP WZMP flips to AC As "Today's 96.5"

I still remember when 96.5 was Wired a few years ago. How many times has the station changed format since then? :confused:

Between songs I've heard More announced themselves as "Today's 101.1 More FM. Better Variety and fewer commercials." That is the same as Today's 96.5 in which they say "better variety, fewer commercials." Definitely trying to keep the listeners away from 96.5.

Last edited:
Between songs I've heard More announced themselves as "Today's 101.1 More FM. Better Variety and fewer commercials." That is the same as Today's 96.5 in which they say "better variety, fewer commercials." Definitely trying to keep the listeners away from 96.5.

101.1 More FM also added Today's to their logo on there website :D

I know I would. They made it kind of easy to appropriate the name.

This new format is going to prove to be a total loser. This is Mix 95.7 (remember them?) and Now 97.5 all over again!!! These dopey corporate radio ownership groups refuse to learn from others' mistakes!!!

Philadelphia seldom has supported more than two AC/Hot AC/Modern AC formatted stations at the same time. In the instances where three such stations existed, both the second and third place stations in that genre have sported mediocre ratings, or the second place station has had OK ratings and the third place station has had terrible ratings.

WBEB and WISX have the space completely covered. WBEB's audience is very loyal; WISX doesn't have a big audience (I'm talking AQH listening, not cume) to target to begin with.

What if they do just enough to pull some listeners for some periods away from More. Does that help WOGL at all? Does that make it worth the potentially low-cost risk? It's not like they traded away a raging success to take the gamble. I think there's, overall, a better cluster play for CBS (as it currently stands) to go this route and see how it works compared to where then-Greater Media was previously. The gamble might not work, but if the risk-reward ratio looks appealing, I can understand rolling the dice.

I wonder once the most wonderful time of the year rolls around again who will take Rudoplh's reins- WOGL or 96.5? Which will be more viable to keep in their regular format?

96.5 was once WWDB, one of the best talk stations ever. Nice mix of liberal and conservative hosts. That's the last time I listened to the station. How many formats have they had since they switched in 2000?

I wonder once the most wonderful time of the year rolls around again who will take Rudoplh's reins- WOGL or 96.5? Which will be more viable to keep in their regular format?

I was wondering the same thing. If 96.5 takes over then I wouldn't be surprise if they switch in early November to get people's attention and to try to knock More down a peg.

My guess would be keep 96.5 as is. Just a guess. You're going to take a beating no matter what, most likely, so perhaps there's more of an opening to keep the format while letting 98 retain the "Christmas Classics" mantra. Both end up as "alternatives" in different ways. Then you suck it up and wait for January to roll around.

I smell KYW news radio 96.5 comming very soon.

CBS has done that in Chicago and San Francisco. In both cases, it helped make WBBM and KCBS among the top rated stations in their markets. The bad news is it made two radio stations into one, which means it cut the revenue almost in half. I'm not sure of the exact numbers, but when you simulcast AM on FM, 1+1 does not equal 2. So my sense is that as long as KYW gets passable numbers, they won't see the need to blow up an FM to simulcast it. I'm sure down the road, they hope ownership limit rules get eased more so they can buy more FM station to replace their dying AMs.

They played Cruel Summer by Bananarama. That's an 80s tune. I guess they aren't shy about playing some older stuff!

CBS has done that in Chicago and San Francisco. In both cases, it helped make WBBM and KCBS among the top rated stations in their markets. The bad news is it made two radio stations into one, which means it cut the revenue almost in half.

Not true in the case of Chicago. Fresh 105.9's revenue stream was abysmal - among the lowest if not the very lowest among all Chicago FM outlets. Newsradio WBBM was already one of the top billers. The 105.9 simulcast helped make life more difficult for a new wannabe competitor (FM News 101.1) will solidifying WBBM's brand and making its programming more accessible to listeners under the age of 50.

Even after adjusting for inflation, combined 105.9/780 revenue in Chicago is stronger now than it was when 105.9 was still airing music for soccer moms.

In fact, the Fresh 105.9 debacle in Chicago is instructive with regard to the current set-up in Philly. Just as Fresh 105.9 failed in epic fashion against 101.9 The Mix, the same fate will befall Today's 96.5 vis-a-vis More-FM.

Even after adjusting for inflation, combined 105.9/780 revenue in Chicago is stronger now than it was when 105.9 was still airing music for soccer moms.

But is it twice as much as for just 780? No. That's why I say 1+1 does not equal 2, so it's not a good financial decision to blow up an FM just to give more life to an AM. CBS would have made more money with a better format on 105.9.

Would Today's 96.5 go all-Christmas instead of WOGL? I'd say it's likely. Only three CBS-owned Classic Hits stations go all-Christmas, WOGL, WOMC Detroit and KLUV Dallas. In Dallas, KLUV flips because the previous CBS-owned Christmas station, KVIL, first moved to Hot AC, then to Top 40. So the Christmas format was moved over to KLUV a few years ago. I'm not sure why WOMC Detroit does it, since iHeart AC WNIC also goes all-Christmas in Detroit as well. WCBS-FM NYC tried it some years ago but didn't do it again.

I can remember when three Philadelphia FM stations went all-Christmas about eight years ago, and finished 1, 2 and 3 in the Holiday ratings: WBEB, WOGL and 97.5 WNOU, when it was trying to be an AC competitor to WBEB. We know the AC format failed on 97.5, so it became Sports Radio WPEN-FM shortly thereafter. WBEB really is so well programmed and so beloved in the Philadelphia radio market that it will be quite hard for another FM to move in on WBEB's AC territory.

What is sad is that this station can get zero ratings and still outbill the excellent demos of 104.5. So many businesses trust these agencies, they spend so much money, only to have them waste it by playing the my favorite format, invalid stereotypes etc games rather than buying time that is in the best interest of their clients. Go ahead say otherwise, tell me they don't, but the billings of 104.5, which has had excellent demos consistently for almost 10 years now tells the undeniable truth.

What 96.5 should do is run quick promos between their songs that are variations of "Hey, aren't you sick of always hearing MORE and MORE commercials and talk on that other station? Make the switch to 96.5 for fewer commercials and a better variety of your music".

So many businesses trust these agencies, they spend so much money, only to have them waste it by playing the my favorite format, invalid stereotypes etc games rather than buying time that is in the best interest of their clients.

It's their money. They can spend it or waste it however they want. Apparently they have some research that the audience doesn't respond well to advertising. Not surprising.

What is sad is that this station can get zero ratings and still outbill the excellent demos of 104.5.

There is a big difference there: men vs. women.

For male demos, the first choice is sports, and Philly has two good sports stations.

A/C appeals primarily to women, and the ad budgets are sometimes entirely different.

Add in the fact that 104.5 may have "good" demos, it may not have the lifestyle and psychographic composition that clients are looking for.

There is a reason why there are jokes about agencies saying, "we'll call you if we have a bail bonds account..."

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom