• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WJQS 1400 a. m.

danfling

Frequent Participant
Today (Wednesday, the 4th), this station has been broadcasting sports talk program. I suppose this change is permanent. When did this start? I know that it was since Sunday.

Surprising that Alpha would put a sports/talker on the air with ESPN 105.9 FM in that same cluster... I did like Colin Cowherd back though.

--- Casual Observer

I hate that they dropped the oldies music. I think they picked up Fox Sports - I've heard Dan Patrick and Colin Cowherd the past few days. If I'm not mistaken, Bryan Eubank is doing a live show along with Jackson Academy sports.

RFB

Surprising that Alpha would put a sports/talker on the air with ESPN 105.9 FM in that same cluster... I did like Colin Cowherd back though.

--- Casual Observer

I just discovered this format change today. I knew something was weird when I heard Rich Eisen this afternoon. But given that 1400 is carrying Jackson Academy sports and Alabama football, it seems like a natural to change to sports. Still odd for them to compete against themselves.

If they're carrying Cowturd, I'm assuming they're not carrying Jim Rome. Rome is on middays on CBS Sports Radio at the same time as Colin.

Last edited:
The 100.9 FM translator just went silent in Meridian. I think it is air marked for this station.

Not only is Alpha Media competing against themselves, but it's likely both will play the Alabama-Clemson game Monday since ESPN Radio will broadcast the game, and 1400 is an Alabama affiliate.

I agree with all of the above comments about the lack of a good oldies station. 780 a.m. was excellent when it played the oldies, and then the same oldies announcers were heard on the 92.9 f. m. station in Hazlehurst. 780 later aired the Music of Your Life. That too was very good! Either 780 or 930 a. m. should play these oldies again or the Music of Your Life again.

Agreed. There's a casual observer on these boards that used to have an oldies station. I'd be great if they'd go back.

Thank you so much, not many people remember my internet oldies station. Streaming rates and other cost kept going up, but the oldies music library went with me to ez 87 fm.

I agree with all of the above comments about the lack of a good oldies station. 780 a.m. was excellent when it played the oldies, and then the same oldies announcers were heard on the 92.9 f. m. station in Hazlehurst. 780 later aired the Music of Your Life. That too was very good! Either 780 or 930 a. m. should play these oldies again or the Music of Your Life again.

My remark was sorta tongue in cheek.....what "oldies" do you miss that are not currently being played in Jackson(?)...and because of the www web thing, it's also on the internet in stereo.

Jackson would be a very tough sell for "Music Of Your Life". It is a format that still does well in retirement communities. The last time we did "MOYL" on a station(s) was back in 2002. One station we dropped it (sales declined year after year), the other we kept it because of the larger older retirement population (it did well there - and it was on AM).

Oldies will do well as as niche in selected markets. Agencies won't buy it. A market like Jackson won't successfully support two oldies stations.

Grove1670, the format The Music of Your Life was on 780 around that time. However, it was later on 1400 (WJQS)around 2009-2010. I am very glad that I can hear it from my computer. However, it would also be good if I could hear it in my car.

So, The Music of Your Life was on WCCL/WYHT (1590), WLRM (780), that FM station in Brandon (93.9), and WJQS (1400 - before it was oldies).

Agreed. There's a casual observer on these boards that used to have an oldies station. I'd be great if they'd go back.

Golden / all -

Per your reference, prior to August 28, 2008, WYAB used to be on 93.1 FM and was known as "B93" - all oldies. The signal was never really good enough at the time to compete in Jackson. Even then, however, it was apparent that more people were consuming their oldies songs on iPods, Internet, and satellite radio, which made things tough with the kind of signal that we had (and having KQID 93.1 FM boom into Jackson from 150 miles away did not help). When we flipped to 103.9 FM and moved 16 miles closer to town, migrating to a news/talk format made more sense.

--- Casual Observer

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom