• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Something's Up... (Part 2)

mr.ric

Leading Participant
This might be a stretch, but these days, anything is possible.

Now the "other" site is confirming yet another change here in Houston, but it may, or may not, be what you think. I noticed the new preview just released today did not mention CBS this time around. Also reading the story title "Another change on the way NOW in Houston", sounds like the next station could be named Now instead of Amp, or it may not even be associated with CBS at all.

I know Radio One has a Top 40 "Now" format in Indianapolis. Could they be trying to play superhero here in Houston??? Especially where a one "Boom92" is located???

Given the ratings for KROI, this was bound to happen. Radio One has been ditching Classic Hip-Hop and Old School formats from their weakest stations lately due to low ratings, so this comes as no surprise.

According to a Whois lookup, radionowhouston.com was created/registered January 3rd. Registry information seems to match that of boom92houston.com.

UPDATE: Listing is now masked with Perfect Privacy.

Last edited:
According to a Whois lookup, radionowhouston.com was created/registered January 3rd. Registry information seems to match that of boom92houston.com.

UPDATE: Listing is now masked with Perfect Privacy.

The site indicates it is "under construction, coming soon."

If KROI does flip to CHR the 92.1 signal will have come full circle, as it signed on in 1983 as CHR KZRQ. Boom 92 seemed its normal self when checked during my Wednesday evening commute.

This might force CBS to put the hurry up on any launch of Amp on 96.5.

Will be interesting to see if we get a three way battle between 92.1, 96.5 and 104.1 in the CHR battle.

This might force CBS to put the hurry up on any launch of Amp on 96.5.

Will be interesting to see if we get a three way battle between 92.1, 96.5 and 104.1 in the CHR battle.

If that CBS rumor is true, which I now have a very, very slight feeling that it may not. But who really knows?

If you ask me, I would prefer "96.5 Amp Radio" over Top 40 on a rimshot anyday. We'll see.

I get a feeling from the new website the new format will be 2000s pop and r&b SMH SMH. The reason the classic rap hiphop format fail 1. 70% of the playlist was New York artist when it should have been 70% Southern and West coast 2. 40% of Houston the signal sucks.

Update just listed for a few min sounds like a cross between old 95.7 and 97.9 SMH SMH

Last edited:
Seems like Rhythmic/CHR. We haven't had that since Hot 97-1 (briefly with Party). Rhythmic/CHR never does well here, this should be interesting. Also why launch on a Thursday? This seems like it was rushed.

Seems like Rhythmic/CHR. We haven't had that since Hot 97-1 (briefly with Party). Rhythmic/CHR never does well here, this should be interesting. Also why launch on a Thursday? This seems like it was rushed.

Totally agree very rushed I do not give the new format a yr there is already 3 other stations to listen to this format 93.3 97.9 104.1 SMH SMH

I suspect that eight days ago Radio One had no idea they'd be flipping 92.1. Yeah, probably a rush job.

Listened on the way home, and yes, it appears to be a Rhythmic CHR, and I agree with the comparison to Hot 97.1 in the early 00's. Music selection seems quite different from KRBE.

Now we will see what CBS does with 96.5, if anything. Wonder if this changes their plans? My thought is they should go ahead with Amp, and make RadioNow 92.1 road kill on the quest to overtake KRBE.

This is the fifth format Radio One has tried on 92.1 since they bought the station in 2004. Anyone want to guess at what the sixth format will be?

I suspect that eight days ago Radio One had no idea they'd be flipping 92.1. Yeah, probably a rush job.

Listened on the way home, and yes, it appears to be a Rhythmic CHR, and I agree with the comparison to Hot 97.1 in the early 00's. Music selection seems quite different from KRBE.

Now we will see what CBS does with 96.5, if anything. Wonder if this changes their plans? My thought is they should go ahead with Amp, and make RadioNow 92.1 road kill on the quest to overtake KRBE.

This is the fifth format Radio One has tried on 92.1 since they bought the station in 2004. Anyone want to guess at what the sixth format will be?

Try la Mera Mera again and try to kill the little life of La Mejor. Lol just saying.. Or try to kill El Norte!!

KRBE has nothing to worry about if this is what Radio One's plans are for Now.

It won't be replacing Hot 95.7 on very many radio presets. Disappointing.

I also agree with Mediafrog. If CBS wants to go CHR on 96.5, today's flip (or flop) on 92.1 is DOA.

Last edited:
A few things here.

I somewhat welcome the change. From a general standpoint, Houston is too big of a market to have just ONE Top 40 station. Kudos to Radio One for restoring the choice in pop music, although it is on a rimshot (and in my opinion, Mix is too soft for me to stomach, to listen).

I'll wait until after the few playlist tweaks are out of the way, in the next few weeks or so, to determine which direction they are steering this Top 40 towards. So far, it sounds cool to me, especially with the large number of new music they are playing! Note: this is the first time in a while I heard a station speed up pop music, like 104 and the early days of Hot, years ago.

I will miss Boom, but only by a little bit. I mean, there are 3 other stations that play the same songs Boom played. Sorry DJBoutit :-(

As for CBS flipping 96.5 to Top 40, I wouldn't hold my breath on them making that move, after what happened today in Philly (they flipped Amp radio there). The wishful thinking side of me says that they should, though. This format has to stilll be profitable with 18-34 listeners when done right, correct?

Also, if I remember correctly, Hot launched on a Thursday in 2008.

Last edited:
Also, if I remember correctly, Hot launched on a Thursday in 2008.

True, but it was after a delay. They originally were to launch Monday or Wednesday of that week. It's been so long, I don't remember the details.

Any word on what kind of staff might be there?

I know it's not likely Sarah Pepper/Ivan are going to this, they still have contracts with CBS Radio and are likely going to move to 96.5.

Looks like they haven't updated RDS yet...

rrUfl4b.jpg

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom